Iron Warriors 4ED List 1000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Iron Warriors 4ED List 1000

Heres my attempt at my first list in 4ED, im unsure on the points costs as im at work and dont have my copy with me.

= ( everythings expensive!

HQ
    Daemon prince, MOT, Flight, Bolt of Change (Represents a IW DP with a rocket launcher and Jump pack)

Troops
    10x Chaos marines, dual plasma, Champion with fist. 220
    10x Chaos marines, dual plasma, Champion with fist. 220

Heavy
    Vindicator 125
    2X oblits 150
    1X oblit

= 965

Had to take one Oblit out as everythings too expensive! Might have to drop the DP until larger games.

All C+C are welcome/encouraged.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Overall, it's a pretty good build. You're a little light on tank busters. However, the vindicator can serve this role as well. The one main concern would be your lack of deployment options for your infantry. Against a superior ranged army, you're going to have serious issues getting your marines into c.c.. As the new rules suggest, rhinos are the way to go.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Rabbit, Rhinos is the way to go.
    But on the tankbusting, I think you have enough to deal with most armies at 1000pts.
    The oblits are great for that ^^

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Overall, it's a pretty good build. You're a little light on tank busters. However, the vindicator can serve this role as well. The one main concern would be your lack of deployment options for your infantry. Against a superior ranged army, you're going to have serious issues getting your marines into c.c.. As the new rules suggest, rhinos are the way to go.
    I agree with Rabbit, Rhinos is the way to go.
    But on the tankbusting, I think you have enough to deal with most armies at 1000pts.
    The oblits are great for that ^^
    I think chemos is right really, there isnt so much armour at 1000 points, i do have three TRUE units capable of this role, chaos marines can do this too now with krak and fists.

I do have enough points for a rhino. Im not too sure what kind of list i will be playing, it will be shooty, but it might be advancing, or methodical fire power (sit on arse and wait).

Im very worried though. I may drop the prince in favour of a cheapy cheapy lord/sorc and more infantry. Im used to fielding the below. Its works well either sitting still, or advancing, keepiong the pressure on the enemy.

Leui with kai, strength and resilience

oblit
    oblit

8 marines dual plasma
    7 marines dual plasma
    5 marines lascannon
    5 marines lascannon

Defiler
    Mhull vindy
    As you can see, there is a MASSIVE difference for the points-to-prizes ratio.

DJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

At 1000pts you have over 17% in one character. Sure, a killy character but a potentially unsupported one as nothing else will move as fast as him.

I would consider dropping the Prince down to a cheeper character and get either a rhino in or that other obliterator.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

WOOT! Someone else who listens to my rantings and ravings about keeping characters cheap! 10%, 10% 10%, its the way to go. So, when he dies, you can just shrug and say , meh, it was 10%.
    I think sorcerors will be in fashion very soon. Their big upgrade in the powers AND toys that they get are fantastic.
    Otherwise I think the list looks good.(No marking the squads? Id even give up an oblit to do this. Nurgle on the plasma gunners will be a lifesaver)
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

At 1000pts you have over 17% in one character. Sure, a killy character but a potentially unsupported one as nothing else will move as fast as him.

I would consider dropping the Prince down to a cheeper character and get either a rhino in or that other obliterator.

WOOT! Someone else who listens to my rantings and ravings about keeping characters cheap! 10%, 10% 10%, its the way to go. So, when he dies, you can just shrug and say , meh, it was 10%.
    I think sorcerors will be in fashion very soon. Their big upgrade in the powers AND toys that they get are fantastic.
    Otherwise I think the list looks good.(No marking the squads? Id even give up an oblit to do this. Nurgle on the plasma gunners will be a lifesaver)

Its alot, my current list (3ed, above) has a character at 11% not too bad. I was thinking he would bounce about poping tanks/heavy infantry with his bolt, then leap on somthing later on.
    10% now is nigh on impossible, with the Cheapest HQ at 90!

I think a nice cheap leader would be a sorc with doombolt, it would be a nice IWs guy by saying its not a phycic power, its an experimental gun.

Why does MoN save plasma marines? T5 does nothing for over heats. What does help is plauge marines, with FnP, 4+ save after the armour save. Tres excellante!

Somthing im thinking of is the aspiring champions. They are 40points a piece upgrades. they raise the average squad member cost from 18 to 22. Is this effective? Will 4 five man squads be more effiencent than two ten man? I believe this will be one of the top discussions for a while, 5 man single speical or 10 man dual special.

Looking at the army, i was thinking of dropping the Prince, as mentioned right from the start, popping in a doombolt sorc (110 points), another oblit. leaving 25 points.

Dan Jones

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Danjones, I like your last thoughts. A cheap h.q. (as the one you listed) would really open up points for the remainder of your build. Even though I'm not a fan of the new doombolt, it's still a good option at the 1000 point marker. As you said, this would enable you to take another obliterator. Then, with the remaining 25 points, you could upgrade your chaos marines with the Glory Mark.

I still have concerns over how you plan on getting your marines into c.c. against Tau, I.G., and mechanized Eldar.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Hey dan, so as I understand it, MoN(equivalent) now gives marines feel no pain, which in overheat situations is a very good thing.

Most games I play are at the 1500pt level, so from 150 to 165 pts is where my leaders always lie. Which, I assume is very doable in even the new codex.

The 10-man dual special will almost always be a better buy.
    icons now are a solid price, and this means any smaller unit pays "more per model" for the icon, while the 10-man(or even 20 man) squad pays a pittance for the benefits per model.
    In almost any and every situation more bodies is more stability for the unit. I HATE running squads under 8 under the last codex. I don't forsee myself going below 10 except for experimentation. It has a lot to do with the scoring unit: in the 5 man squad, you lose 3 members... and they are worthless. In the 10 man squad, you must lose 6 to be under half.
    Again, with the AC, the powerfist AC is about attrition. having an aspiring champion(at all) doesn't make much sense in smaller squads, as you said, it brings up the average price per model. BUT in larger squads(where they should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be present) they allow you to play the meat grinder, causing nearly guaranteed wounds every turn in a big squad of tough hombres.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Danjones, I like your last thoughts. A cheap h.q. (as the one you listed) would really open up points for the remainder of your build. Even though I'm not a fan of the new doombolt, it's still a good option at the 1000 point marker. As you said, this would enable you to take another obliterator. Then, with the remaining 25 points, you could upgrade your chaos marines with the Glory Mark.

I still have concerns over how you plan on getting your marines into c.c. against Tau, I.G., and mechanized Eldar.
    I dont think ill go for the marks. They seem expensive and i want to try the squad layout before the extra nit bits. No offence meant.

Hey dan, so as I understand it, MoN(equivalent) now gives marines feel no pain, which in overheat situations is a very good thing.
    Mark of nurgle gives +1T, Plauge marines have +1T and FnP.

Most games I play are at the 1500pt level, so from 150 to 165 pts is where my leaders always lie. Which, I assume is very doable in even the new codex.
    A decnet daemon prince for that cost.

The 10-man dual special will almost always be a better buy.
    icons now are a solid price, and this means any smaller unit pays "more per model" for the icon, while the 10-man(or even 20 man) squad pays a pittance for the benefits per model.
    In almost any and every situation more bodies is more stability for the unit. I HATE running squads under 8 under the last codex. I don't forsee myself going below 10 except for experimentation. It has a lot to do with the scoring unit: in the 5 man squad, you lose 3 members... and they are worthless. In the 10 man squad, you must lose 6 to be under half.
    Again, with the AC, the powerfist AC is about attrition. having an aspiring champion(at all) doesn't make much sense in smaller squads, as you said, it brings up the average price per model. BUT in larger squads(where they should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be present) they allow you to play the meat grinder, causing nearly guaranteed wounds every turn in a big squad of tough hombres.
    I dont think ill be taking marks for marines. Even though the loss of 3 marines = >1/2 strength, you have more target optiions. I will test them.

Ok, i played my first game today with the new rules. Lists below, no points values.

ME
    Sorc, doom bolt

10 marines dual plasma champion fist
    10 PLauge marines dual plasma champion fist

2 oblits
    2 oblits
    Vinfy

Enemy

Daemon prince, flight, Warp time

5 termie champions, MOT, chainfist

two 9 strong TS squads, sorcs with doom bolt (nine strong intotal)
    two 9 strong TS squads, sorcs with doom bolt (nine strong intotal)

10 rapotrs champ with fist MOT
    10 rapotrs champ with fist MOT

OK, first things first. MOT is silly, INV saves just wrecked my armies kill ability.

PLauge marines are AMAZIN, thy just walked forwards, refused to die, and dished out the pain.

I had a shed load of marines against a harsh anti marine force. I won the game, but got a good kicking too. The squads were ok at shooting, the 4+ saves were just too much really. My opponant had a very good game for rolling 4+.

Im going to run my 10 man squads without a champion for a couple of games and see what happens.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread