Help With Death Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Help With Death Guard

Hey, my 1st post ever on LO!!! *theatrical music*

So, here it is, i need help with the new plague marines.

The main problems im having are numbers, as death guard are the points cost of a chaos marines +8 (does that violate any rules? =S) my army tends to be small, with 300 points for a 10 man squad with power fist and 2 plasma guns. I'm trying to make a 1000 point army with the new codex (im not a noob btw, ive played chaos for 2 yrs now) and i was wondering if you could help.

I want to take a slaaneshi sorceror, as their new power is MEAN, and i plan on exploiting it with the new obliterator weapons (teehee). But, i want roughly 35-50 models (i know its a lot for 1k, but im praying) including a slaaneshi sorceror, and obliterators.

Heres my army now.

Chaos Sorceror
    mark of Slaanesh
    Lash of Submission

Troops
    10 Plague Marines
    2 Plasma Guns
    Plague Champion
    Power Fist

10 Plague marines
    2 melta Guns
    Plague Champion
    power Fist

6 Chaos Space marines
    Melta Gun

Heavy Support
    2 Obliterators 150

So, can anyone reconfigure this so its bigger, (i dont mind losing some plague marines) or if its a decent army and i should shut up and play xD. I've tested the new plague marines and they are HARD (The champion took 23 bolter shots without dying, then i later worked out it takes 24 on average to kill a plague marine).

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have my codex with me at the moment, I'm at work. But, I can see 2 things off the bat. First, if I'm not mistaken, Obliterators are Elite choices. This doesn't make any difference now, but later it could mean the difference between getting all of your choices. The only other thing I noticed was, that you're playing Death Guard and your lord has a Mark of Slaanesh. Death Guard armies can only have the Mark of Nurgle and maybe the Mark of Chaos Undivided.
    Discount sushi isn't just a bargain, it's an adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Public Enigma View Post
    I don't have my codex with me at the moment, I'm at work. But, I can see 2 things off the bat. First, if I'm not mistaken, Obliterators are Elite choices. This doesn't make any difference now, but later it could mean the difference between getting all of your choices. The only other thing I noticed was, that you're playing Death Guard and your lord has a Mark of Slaanesh. Death Guard armies can only have the Mark of Nurgle and maybe the Mark of Chaos Undivided.

Damnit!, i knew i frgot something, this is using the new codex( *grins impishly at the people who dont have it*) hence the marks, psychic powers and the oblits as heavys. the bad thing is it gimps the no. of ppl who can respond xD

ty

Archnomad

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Oblits are indeed heavy now.

Archnomad, chaos troop choices have universally risen in price, so every chaos player should expect to field less basic models. This is especially difficult on Death Guard and Thousand Sons army; and then, again, for low point builds. I feel your pain (Death Guard was my first army as well).

Your army looks pretty solid. You should consider dropping the 6 man marine squad. It's not doing much and is disproportionately expensive, when you consider it's offensive output.

H.Q.: He's solid and will undoubtedly be of great utility. Unless your hell bent on fluffy Death Guard, you should honestly keep him. Just call your army a Black Legion build. Works for me.

Plague Marines: In builds lower than 2000 points, you shouldn't have large cult marked marine squads. They're just too darn expensive. Tone them down to 8 (maybe even 7). This will allow you a few options:

Option #1: Take another plague marine unit.

Option #2: Outfit your current plague marine w/ rhinos. At 35 points a pop, you can feasibly afford them at the 1000 point mark. With the remaining points, you can then purchase a third obliterator.

Oblits: Split your oblits into two squads. Take advantage of no longer having the 0-1 limitation.
    Last edited by Rabbit; August 16th, 2007 at 00:23.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Hmmm, well i think 7 would be a good number (fluffwise and all) but i have a violent aversion to rhinos (well, not so much me, but my piggy bank =P) and having thought about it stripping off 6 death guard, and the marines squad i would have enough points to add in another plague marines unit, or maybe something that fights reasonably well in combat (death guard are ok.... but i like combat, (im a nid player at heart) so maybe 3 termies, with glory/nurgle?, a RAC and lightning claws? any suggestions?

P.S The oblits are in 2x1 man squads, im just lazy xD
    Last edited by Archnomad; August 16th, 2007 at 00:09.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Termis are a wee too expensive for most 1000 point lists, but then again, with their reduced cost and squad size, they might work. On the whole, termis still work best in larger squads (just something to keep in mind).

Without rhinos, how would you deal with I.G. or Tau, that is, armies that you're required to advance upon their ranks? Also, what's your tactic against mechanized Eldar and Tau? Marines are slow and usually get gunned down at range, if they don't have a rhino. Infiltrate solved much of this problem in the 3rd ed codex, because it placed our marine nearer the enemy line; but that's history :cry: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Termis are a wee too expensive for most 1000 point lists, but then again, with their reduced cost and squad size, they might work. On the whole, termis still work best in larger squads (just something to keep in mind).

Without rhinos, how would you deal with I.G. or Tau, that is, armies that you're required to advance upon their ranks? Also, what's your tactic against mechanized Eldar and Tau? Marines are slow and usually get gunned down at range, if they don't have a rhino. Infiltrate solved much of this problem in the 3rd ed codex, because it placed our marine nearer the enemy line; but that's history :cry: .

In your last post u said oblits= elites, their heavys (i think thats what u meant though)

I recently fought a mech eldar army (saim hann) with the original list. the look on their faces when they found themselves 12" away from the vehicle they disembarked upon in my assault phase was good (ty lash). Thats my way of making up for speed ^^, also in larger games i slap in more oblits and shoot the mech vehicles to pieces, and lash the surviors towards me, its worked so far.

Also what about cloning my HQ choice? 2 lashes is twice the fun!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Yes, I meant heavy (thanks).

Two h.q's is very questionable at the 1000 point mark, especially now that our h.q's are so darn expensive. I'm even questioning whether I can run two in my 1850 build.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Yes, I meant heavy (thanks).

Two h.q's is very questionable at the 1000 point mark, especially now that our h.q's are so darn expensive. I'm even questioning whether I can run two in my 1850 build.
    125 points?, mind u thats 1/8 of my army =S, maybe a chosen squad? im strugglign here, what else, maybe a big squad of undivided marines, but im tempted fluffwise for more plague marines =P *makes zombie noises*

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

I've come to the conclusion that basic chaos marines with the glory mark is our best bang for the buck. After all, we have nice basic weaponry (bolter, bolt pistol, grenades) with which to manage most types of enemy units. Having cult marked marines only reduces an army's overall numbers. While this was acceptable in the 3rd edition codex, things have change. That said, I still plan on using cult marked marines, but it's very problematic at low point levels.

If you're going to use plague marines, then, as I mentioned earlier, simply reduce their squad size and add another unit or take rhinos and another oblit. These are your best option, IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast