[1250] Slurgle (4th Edition) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1250] Slurgle (4th Edition)

From reading the forums I noticed that the common consensus is the more 10 man, dual special csm squads in rhinos the better because their great versatility and bolterfire. After Rabbitís experiments with plague marines he raised concerns about the volume of fire sacrificed for the additional staying power. On the other hand purple40k was pushing around ultra shooty slanesh squads in his reactive army build. After reading that bolter and chainsword post about water warriors and shamelessly ripping off the theme from karmoonís slurgle list from a while back I combined the ideas and came up with this list. Because of plague marines FNP I feel they are ideal platforms for plasma guns and with their staying power are suited for hold the line tactics. To compliment the plague marines I included noise marines for volume of fire and to tie in the lash sorcerer (besides that Iím a hedonist at heart!) While sonic weaponry is expensive itís so darn cool and makes the squad a real threat to most anything. Also because they can move and shoot the slanesh troops can use the nurgle troops and cover to shield them a bit from the enemy. The accompanying sorcerer should keep them from being charged and ensure they donít run out of things to shoot up and or charge so that they can show off that initiative. I included the chosen because I wanted a strong support squad that has deployment options. Sadly I never finished my army under 3rd edition and missed out on all the infiltrating fun. The predator is a bang for the buck heavy and after reading Coulinís posts about deep striking oblits to present an immediate threat I included 2 units. I think they fit with the rest of the force reasonably well. I was hoping for some comments on the list composition and possible tactics and how best to fine-tune it. Thank you.

Chaos Sorcerer: 125
    MoS, Lash

8x Chosen: 239
    4x Plasma; AC w PF

8x Plague Marines: 289
    2x Plasma; AC w PF
    Rhino

8x Noise Marines: 315
    5x Sonic Blasters, Blast Master;
    AC w PF, Doom Siren
    Rhino

Oblits x2: 150
    *2 squads

Predator: 130
    AC/ Las

1248 pts total

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Your build looks fairly solid.

Generally speaking, the sheer versatility of having bolter/bolt pistol on basic marines (or marines with icons) somewhat begs the question of taking sonic blaster. Not entire, just somewhat. For one thing, a rapid firing bolter is almost as good as the sonic blaster. As basic marines can now fill the role of both shooty and c.c., I'm wondering as to the compared effectiveness of sonic blasters.

That said, stationary sonic blaster fire produces almost the same number of MEQ kills as non-rapid firing Tzeentch bolters (i.e., AP 3); so noise marines toting sonic blaster are actually pretty effective even against MEQ's. However, Tzeentch marines get the added inv save, which is something else to consider. Oh, I'm just making comparisons at the moment.

Overall, you're spending over a quarter of your points in the noise marine squad, which makes it expensive for 1250 point games. This is the only real concern I have, that, and the blastmaster upgrade. For 40 points, it's just not cost effective. For this cost, you could further upgrade all of your other noise marines to sonic blasters and still have 25 points to spend. Just a thought. Also, you could scrap noise marines altogether and take basic marines with the Icon of Slaanesh. This would save you a whopping 105 points- enough to buy an anti-infantry predator, or a dreadnought, or another oblit +change, etc. Again, just a thought. Of course, this is before the inclusion of any special weapons from the marines with the icon of Slaanesh.

After further examining your build, it also works well just the way it is. After all, you have plenty of tank busters and a good amount of units dedicated to infantry killing. It should do well.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the drop in BS, I would still recommend picking up a Possession for the predator. You could change all the plasma in the chose for meltas, which would make things safer by sacrificing range.

Well, up to you ultimately. But I do think a sonic blaster for a personal icon might come in handy at certain times for obliterator placement.
    Cheerio.

[Iron Warriors] [6000]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most out of the plague marines u need to mount them. Which you have! Your particular squad configuration looks effective.

On to the noise marines... They are simply to expensive for what they are doing. The only noise marine unit that needs a blast master is a 6-8 man one with no intentions of fighting in close combat. You are spending way to many points for a 8 man squad. You need 2 things. 1, a purpose for each unit. 2 an appropriately formed unit to complete this job. Your slaanesh unit will need to be cut down for sure, I strongly suggest forming a separate squad with sonic blasters. Then, you can have an undivided squad with a power fist. Perhaps a non-mounted noise marine unit with 6 sonic blasters and 6 marines(only 150 points), and a 6 marine unit with a fist in rhino(maybe chaos glory). Changes like that make your list more fundamentally flexible. Multiple units, with multiple roles should see you able to bring the right kind of offense to the right kinda fight.

I know my slaanesh changes are a bit drastic, but I think that is the type of thinking you need to engage in while beginning with cult forces. Even I agree that our most powerful unit is our basic chaos space marine. So shift some points, make room for more chaos space marines, I swear they win games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, thank you for the comments. I’m happy you think the list will perform Rabbit. it makes me a lot more confidant coming from an experienced chaos guru like you. To be honest I had no intention of including a blastmaster when I started the list. I added it solely because I had spare points. I’m not sure it fits with the close fire support concept I had with the squad but it is more firepower. The real reason I went noise marines was for the doom siren champ and some sonic blasters to compensate a bit for any numbers I lose by using cult troops. I think lash and doom siren, followed by a high initiative charge could be absolutely brutal against elites and swarms alike. Do you have any suggestions to reshuffle some points?

Purple40k, I’m not convinced splitting the slanesh group would be wise for this point level but I see what you are saying about defining the role of the squad. I am reluctant to split the squad as you suggested. Firstly a 6 man group with a powerfist would likely run into trouble in melee and not be terribly effective at shooting, maybe with a power weapon? A 6-man blastmaster squad is tempting but too pricey for now I think. Especially given that the squad members would be expensive meatshields to protect the blastmaster.

Malicant, I think 4 meltas in the chosen is a bit of overkill and no one in their right mind would let it close enough to armor to really shine. I consider possession something of a luxury upgrade and I think I used up my luxury allotment including cult troops :p. Besides that the tank doesn’t have any twin-linked weapons so the drop in BS would hurt. The icon is a good catch, I totally glossed over icons, I’ll see if I can’t find the pts.

From your comments a possible change to the list would be to drop the blastmaster and split the chosen squad to two squads of 6 with 2 plasma guns a piece. I gain bodies this way but lose a fist. I’m not sure if that’s all around better. Any more thoughts? Thanks again.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

If I was to completely ignore your previous build's fluffiness, I'd recommend something like this:

Chaos Sorcerer: 125
    MoS, Lash

8x Chosen: 224
    3x Plasma; AC w PF

10x Chaos Marines with the Glory Mark: 265
    2x Plasma; AC w PF
    Rhino

10x Chaos Marines with the Glory Mark: 255
    2x Melta; AC w PF
    Rhino

AC/ Las

AC/ Las

Dakka Predator: 115
    Heavy bolter/ Havoc launcher

TOTAL POINTS: 1244

TOTAL MODELS: 34
    29 troops
    5 pieces of armor

EDIT: I just realized that this build leaves your sorcerer entirely in the open, since he can't hitchhike in the rhinos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sorceror is still invisible, as long as he's not the closest.

Rabbits list is solid, but will have a hell of a time against codex marines. Which should always be in your meta game until they eat a nerf-bat.

I still see no point in putting a power fist in a triple plasma gun squad. You basically have 5 marines for close combat. A good rule of thumb with plasma weaponry is... if you equip a marine with one he will over heat and die.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by purple40k View Post

I still see no point in putting a power fist in a triple plasma gun squad. You basically have 5 marines for close combat. A good rule of thumb with plasma weaponry is... if you equip a marine with one he will over heat and die.
    Well, since they all have a c.c. weapon and bolt pistol, they all are in essence c.c. models. As far as the power fist goes, it's more of a safety net. In my experience, opponents tend to charge my chosen, so to compensate I throw in a power fist. Plus, the squad functions adequately as a c.c. support unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given some of the discussions and interesting army lists out there and taking into account the models I actually have, I amended the list to this. Comments appreciated, thank you.

Chaos Sorcerer: 145
    MoS, Lash, Flight

8x Plague Marines: 289
    2x Plasma; AC w PF
    Rhino

6x Noise Marines: 180
    Blastmater, 4x Sonic Blaster

6x Noise Marines: 180
    Blastmater, 4x Sonic Blaster

6x Noise Marines: 175
    Blastmater, 3x Sonic Blaster

Defiler: 150