Chaos 1500 CSM/Tank spam - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Chaos 1500 CSM/Tank spam

Well, before I could finish my last army list the new Codex came out. In light of this here's my 1500, which will be a starting point to my 2000. That list will be based on the modifications I make to this one. Lots of transports and jump infantry, I'll be damned in Escalation, but hey, who isn't? Don't look at me like that all infantry-ers. Anyway.

I'm only listing the upgrades to make for less typing.

HQ:
    Chaos Lord
    Lord- Lightning Claws, Wings (140

Troops:
    2 Chaos Space Marine Squads (270x2=540)
    -Aspiring Champion- Powerfist, Mark of Chaos Glory (65)
    -9 Chaos Marines- 2 Meltagun (155)
    Rhino- Extra Armor (50)

Chaos Space Marine Squad (170)
    -10 Chaos Marines- Autocannon, Mark of Chaos Glory

Fast Attack:
    2 Raptor Squads (230x2=460)
    Aspiring Champion- Lightning Claws, Mark of Chaos Glory
    7 Raptors- 2 Meltagun (160)

Heavy Support:
    2 Predator (115x2=230)- Autocannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor (115)

Idea being to use third line squad and preds for support as raptors and lord flank/assault /tank hunt and first two line squads to rush in and tank hunt/assault. All varying depending on the situation of course. Lord is obviously an infantry killer, keep him away from bad stuff. In the expansion to 200 points I'll probably add more troops and a havoc maybe, with the possibility of filling out my raptors and adding a special to the third line squad.

Tell me what you think, what I should alter. I think I've got a decent number of boots on the ground with enough tanks to distract the big guns for a while- mainly just spamming them with targets under a rapid advance with some rear support. What I'm worried about most is my tactics as a general- but that's a practice issue. ;Y

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Well, before I could finish my last army list the new Codex came out. In light of this here's my 1500, which will be a starting point to my 2000. That list will be based on the modifications I make to this one. Lots of transports and jump infantry, I'll be damned in Escalation, but hey, who isn't? Don't look at me like that all infantry-ers. Anyway.
    Hwahah--I mean, what? That's totally not me...

Chaos Lord
    Lord- Lightning Claws, Wings (140
    There's a model for it so we might as well use it! Just kidding, this is a great outfit for a Lord. Thank you for not using a Dæmon Weapon.

2 Chaos Space Marine Squads (270x2=540)
    Rhino- Extra Armor (50)
    Extra Armor is overdoing it a bit if you as me, but if you can't put those xx points anywhere else, then so be it.

P.S. the way you display points within squads seems like a lot more work than necessary.

-10 Chaos Marines- Autocannon, Mark of Chaos Glory
    What? I honestly can't say I see the purpose of this squad. If it's to sit back then it's a lot of points for one gun, and if it's to shoot at stuff from midrange (24'') with a ton of Bolters why not take a Plasma Gun in addition? Without tankhunting I also can't quite remember the purpose of Autocannon While the Autocannon is cheap, having it as the only special weapon confuses me.

Righteous. I would say hit up the Power Fist but by the time they get into combat there will be few enough models left that the Lightning Claw might be better.

Heavy Support:
    Again, righteous. Havoc Launcher --> ultimate Justice. Or Injustice, rather.

Idea being to use third line squad and preds for support as raptors and lord flank/assault /tank hunt and first two line squads to rush in and tank hunt/assault. All varying depending on the situation of course. Lord is obviously an infantry killer, keep him away from bad stuff. In the expansion to 200 points I'll probably add more troops and a havoc maybe, with the possibility of filling out my raptors and adding a special to the third line squad.
    Really I think the only flaw in your logic is that the Raptors will survive ever. If you're playing an army that's mechanized enough for the Raptors to be necessary the fact that they're exposed (i.e. not in a Rhino) means they're the first to go from Anti-Infantry fire as all of it will be pointed right their way. This obviously isn't the end of the world for you as you have your Meltas embedded in Rhinos, but if your enemy discovers this you could be in a bit of a pickle. So I guess my word from a man who has played against the Tau far too often is to protect the Raptors with your life (or your Predators, whichever is more convenient ;Y )

Tell me what you think, what I should alter. I think I've got a decent number of boots on the ground with enough tanks to distract the big guns for a while- mainly just spamming them with targets under a rapid advance with some rear support. What I'm worried about most is my tactics as a general- but that's a practice issue. ;Y
    I actually like a lot what you've done sort of messing around with the enemy's target priorities. The heavy Anti-Armor weapons will almost doubtlessly target the Predators unless you're facing a very highly mechanized force, allowing your loaded Rhinos to make it up front and take out the tanks with your (if I may) "hidden" Meltas.
    Last edited by honorableSimon; October 6th, 2007 at 08:23. Reason: jigga what?
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by honorableSimon View Post
    Hwahah--I mean, what? That's totally not me...
    I'll ignore that... for now... 0:

There's a model for it so we might as well use it! Just kidding, this is a great outfit for a Lord. Thank you for not using a Dæmon Weapon.
    Yeah, I love him. I miss speed though... it is more fitting with the conversion I was planning to attempt. I'll give him wings and have him running so fast that flames burst in his footsteps then...

Extra Armor is overdoing it a bit if you as me, but if you can't put those xx points anywhere else, then so be it.

P.S. the way you display points within squads seems like a lot more work than necessary.
    I want to keep those transports moving in the case of potshots with bolters or whatever. In the case of real anti tank, they may be screwed anyway, but I hope the Preds keep them busy instead.

What? I honestly can't say I see the purpose of this squad. If it's to sit back then it's a lot of points for one gun, and if it's to shoot at stuff from midrange (24'') with a ton of Bolters why not take a Plasma Gun in addition? Without tankhunting I also can't quite remember the purpose of Autocannon While the Autocannon is cheap, having it as the only special weapon confuses me.
    It's a points thing, but in retrospect I should probably use the Heavy Bolter. I can't afford the plasma unless I cut something else, and this thread was partially to discern if I should do that to anything. I do like the higher strength of the autocannon, but Guard Philosophy- more shots=more kills, right? I used to play them.

Righteous. I would say hit up the Power Fist but by the time they get into combat there will be few enough models left that the Lightning Claw might be better.
    Plus I have a preference for Lightning Claws, obviously.

Again, righteous. Havoc Launcher --> ultimate Justice. Or Injustice, rather.
    If I cut something, I'll try to add it in.

Really I think the only flaw in your logic is that the Raptors will survive ever. If you're playing an army that's mechanized enough for the Raptors to be necessary the fact that they're exposed (i.e. not in a Rhino) means they're the first to go from Anti-Infantry fire as all of it will be pointed right their way. This obviously isn't the end of the world for you as you have your Meltas embedded in Rhinos, but if your enemy discovers this you could be in a bit of a pickle. So I guess my word from a man who has played against the Tau far too often is to protect the Raptors with your life (or your Predators, whichever is more convenient ;Y )
    I'm hoping- really really hoping- that there will be some sort of cover I can float around to keep them somewhat unexposed. Hopefully the enemy won't really know what to shoot at with this strategy. That's why I call this target spam. Hard to do with MEQs, but doable.

In all honesty, many gaming clubs try to enforce a policy of open lists, and though my opponent won't know what is in which Rhino, the squads are identical, so it's not like it matters much.

I actually like a lot what you've done sort of messing around with the enemy's target priorities. The heavy Anti-Armor weapons will almost doubtlessly target the Predators unless you're facing a very highly mechanized force, allowing your loaded Rhinos to make it up front and take out the tanks with your (if I may) "hidden" Meltas.
    In 2000 points I think I will really be able to expound on this strategy, but I'd like to fine-tune this list so that I will have a force for either occasion when I finally build it up. Depending on how the Daemon Codex is set up, I will likely be hitting you all with two more lists in the... way too far off future.

Now, here's a revised list:

HQ:
    Chaos Lord (145)
    Lord- Lightning Claws, Wings, Meltabombs (145)

Troops:
    2 Chaos Space Marine Squads (255x2=510)
    Rhino- (35)

-10 Chaos Marines- Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Mark of Chaos Glory

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

Unified that line squad's purpose and added a special. Also modified my Lord to fit in a bit with the Raptors he'll be chillin' with. Maybe it's a waste but there's not much I could do. In the end, I took off the EA on the Rhinos. Something's gonna die, and I hope it costs 35 points after it delivers its cargo to the front lines.

Edit: Also got advised on Warseer to change third squad to Havocs. 6 w/Heavy Bolters and no Icon sounds doable.
    Last edited by Imperialis_Dominatus; October 6th, 2007 at 09:30. Reason: Bah, math.

+ Reply to Thread