Viking Assault. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viking Assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viking Assault.

Here is a list I made with the new Codex. Tell me what do you think? Is it insane or what? I'm going after a Viking themed army. The land raiders as my long boats and I love the Mark series of British WWI tanks that they look like.

I'm always wondering if I should start Chaos. I really like them a lot but my main army now is IG. If I'd start Chaos I would do a Khorne Viking themed army. I would want all infantry, just hordes of infantry running across the battlefield but I don't think that would work too well.

HQ:

Kharn the Betrayer

Troops:

Khorne Berzerkers
    -Skull Champion
    -Power Fist
    -1 Melta Bomb
    -8 Khorne Berzerkers
    -1 Plasma Pistol

Khorne Berzerkers
    -Skull Champion
    -Power Fist
    -8 Khorne Berzerkers
    -1 Plasma Pistol

Khorne Berzerkers
    -Skull Champion
    -Power Fist
    -8 Khorne Berzerkers
    -1 Plasma Pistol

Heavy Support:

Chaos Land Raider

Chaos Land Raider

Chaos Land Raider

All squads are mounted in a Land Raider, Kharn joins one of them and they head off. Jump out, shoot em up, then charge in. I don't see this as one of the most practical lists, yet I'm interested to see what you all have to say on its effectiveness. It would be dead scary vs some armies and laughable by Tau though. Are my troops too weak.

So, what are you thoughts on this madness?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I think it's quite a cool list in it's own way actually.

If you can the land raider assault on one squad that'd be incredible!

moderator mode:

naughty boy, please post lists in the army list special sub section forum thing.
    Last edited by Karmoon; October 21st, 2007 at 18:34.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I think its a very good assault list, but it all depends on a few factors. Mainly how many long range anti tank weapons the enemy has. Its certainly straightforword and I believe that whoever your opponent is will be scared.

I'd certainly be scared to play you with 3 landraiders in a 1500 point game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I think the Viking Khorne list is an awesome idea, and if I ever came up against you in a tournament, I'd give you top marks for army composition/theme/coolness. It's almost as cool as the Catachan Zapatistas list I'm going to put together as soon as I get my mechanized Emperor's Children in good, working order.

Here's some non-list specific ideas for you. (I hope you make this list, btw).

Use the Space Wolves models and chaos them up. Use the dragon motiff on your land raiders (you know, viking longships). Create a new HQ that 'Counts as" Kharn, call him something like "Hrothgar Bloodaxe". Or better yet, model him after a Norse god - give him a big hammer like Thor, one hand like Tyr or a mighty spear and one-eye like Odin.

And use cool viking names for your ACs and even land raiders (use the Eddas for inspiration).

Have fun raping and pillaging small coastal settlements!

3 Land Raiders should be fine, because I don't think people expect that kind of armor in a 1,500 point list and therefore won't be prepared for it. My anti-tank consists of 3 autocannons, 4 lascannons (on predators) and 2 blastmasters, and I seriously doubt I'd be able to take down 3 land raiders - 1 probably, 2 maybe if my predators survive long enough, 3 not a chance.

I think you'll have some trouble against certain Tyranid armires, as they tend to come in large numbers and probably would match, if not exceed you in close-combat. You'll lack long-range anti-infantry for such a case. However, I don't see that as a problem, because any army is going to naturally have certain types of armies they excel against and others they have a tough time with. It's the nature of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, definitely love the theme of the army. As to the last post, (about playing against bug players) I play bugs and I might be scared ****less. You don't have the horde control, but 3 land raiders would definitely rob A LOT of points from me. That, and khorne really makes bugs go crunch, even if the bugs were meant for combat.
    The theme idea is awesome, and an idea that just occurred to me that might look pretty cool: Try getting some Dark Eldar Raiders to mod into chaos-like vehicles, like some extra armour and even more spiky, more chaotic-looking bits. They really look like long boats in my opinion, and would love to see them converted into a 40K game as Land Raiders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

A standard 4 units of 8 genstealers will rape this list in no time, the same goes to almost any Dark Eldar list which tend to have a minimum of 6-8 dark lances.
    Harlequin heavy eldar list will also make short work of those land riders, and those berzerkers.

But it's a really fun idea, and I would give it a try...on vassal
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't got going on the fluff but my last Chaos list I did (For Hordes) I made it Viking.

Nice idea on the Space Wolves. Yet what I'd mainly want would be the wolf packs on their backs. Theres a Space Wolves player here with a lot of stuff, maybe he has some bits I could have or get off him. The Wolf Lord Logan Grimnar model looks good even for Kharn because of the wolf cape and all.

I planned to use the Khorne models anyways, their helmets with, whatever that is supposed to be sticking up are similar to the stereotypical viking helmet.

Yet the real question would be what color to paint everything? Silver? Like medieval time armor?

Now for the game play aspect. I'm glad to hear people think this will work! Yet I play at a Rogue Trader place and I feel people could easily counter this once they get to feel for what I'm playing. This would not work against Tau either I'd think.

I think vs Nid's it would be the most fun. Completely outnumbered. Yet you can hopefully gun down the big nids with your Lascannons and use your Land Raiders to form a shell that you can hide behind to try and kill the nids piece by piece. The idea of running into a horde of bugs and going nuts killing as many as you can sounds just so fun. 300 like.

Its a nice idea with the DE tanks. Yet I personally would try and use the land raider models. For the mimic one of my most favorite tanks, the WWI British Mark model. Also it is the future, I don't want them too look too much like real wooden boats. I was thinking, if Vikings lived today and where forced to fight purely on land, they would...

Use all infantry, and a lot of it. Barbarian, Viking, Pagan like hoards going nuts in close combat with not too much strategy. Using lots of powerful warriors. Sadly that won't work around here until we get more terrain. Our boards are often a no man's land, yet we are getting more terrain, slowly.

Or they would drive around in long ship type things raiding little towns. What is most hardcore, fast, and long ship like? The land raider.

My worries as well, mika. Yet no DE here, but Eldar with bright lances! I will most likely spit out some more Chaos lists that will be trying to fit my liking. I'm deciding now to start Chaos for a year long campaign starting in January, or stick with Guard. Its safe to go with my more familiar army. Yet I've been itching to do Chaos. This is a long post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Yeah, people can figure out how your list works and figure out ways to counter it. Any list has that problem, although some are harder to counter than others.

That also means you can modify your list to counter theirs.

As for colors, I think Red is always a good color - color of blood, color of anger. Good color for Khorne, and a good color for vikings. Silver I think, implies a sort of Knight in Shining Armor motiff, which doesn't suit the vikings. Or at least the popular impression of vikings.

I'd stick to a dull reddish color, maybe some greys for armor (not shining armor, worn, beaten armor). Browns and blacks too. Make it look like they just got off a long difficult voyage and are looking for a fight, not like they spent all day cleaning their gear.

+ Reply to Thread