[1000] Chaos -First run at a REAL- army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

[1000] Chaos -First run at a REAL- army.

I'm new, stupid ideas are running through my head (Pure CC Dread? ), here's my list.

Kharn the Betrayer - 165

Troops - 500
    8 Chaos Marines - 250
    w/ Aspiring Champion & Power Weapon, Icon of Khorne
    In Rhino w/ Demonic Possession, Havoc Launcher (70)

8 Chaos Marines - 250
    w/ Aspiring Champion & Power Weapon, Icon of Khorne
    In Rhino w/ Demonic Possession, Havoc Launcher (70)

Heavy Support - 210
    Chaos Predator - 105
    w/ Twin-Linked Lascannon Turret

Chaos Predator - 105
    w/ Twin-Linked Lascannon Turret

I am left with 125 points. Not sure what to do with them. I also thought about removing the Lascannons from the 2nd Pred, giving myself 160 points, but then I would lose some good Anti-Armor. I'd prefer 2 ranged Anti-Armor, as only having one makes it a pretty big target. With two I can spread them out. The Autocannons could still take on Armor, but only light armor.

For 120, I could do 5 Raptors with a Champion and Meltabombs. That would give me a little more Anti-Tank (jussa lil). That could allow me to switch one Predator to a Dakka Pred, Saving 5 total points. Then I'd have 10 total points, which could give the Raptors a Meltagun as well. I don't know how effective they would be, since there is only 5 of them, but doing this would definately help with Infantry armies (as I have the Pred to lay down a lot of fire). Thoughts and Comments needed for this.

I've chosen Regular Marines with the Mark of Khorne over Berzerkers, simply for sake of points. I'll probably end up using Berzerker Models for them anyway. I don't see the +1WS making a huge difference (Am I a fool?). I know the advantages of a higher WS (ya hit more stuff), but in a smaller game as this, I'd rather the advantage of bodies (the Raptor unit), and giving them the Icon of Khorne will still give them an extra attack. Now here is where I have another question. The Codex lists them as having both Pistol and CC weapons, as well as a Bolter. Do they have to use one set per battle, or can I switch it per turn. My thinking is that if the Rhino gets stopped short, they can get out and run, shooting with Bolters. Then on the turn I would assault, shoot with the Pistol and assault with the extra attack granted by Pistol+CCW. I'm not used to Troops having options like this (hooray Tau ;o), so this confuses me. If they can't switch, they'll have Pistol+CCW (with Mark of Khorne, this would give 3 attacks, yes?)

Again, Comments, Thoughts, ect. are very welcome, as I have no idea what I'm doing (is it that obvious)

Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Your list look great, you have a good balance between troops and heavy support and Kharn is an absolute beast in close combat. I would personally change a couple details, but not much.

First comment on your troop selection will be about giving Daemonic Possession to your rhino, it’s not worth it. Too many points to transform a stunned into a shaken on a glancing hit, because on a penetrating hit everyone disembark and is entangled anyway.The Havoc Launcher is a good buy but it’s optional too. You might also want to consider buying a combi-plasma for your rhino, it’s useful and relatively cheap for a plasma weapon.

Then you say you take normal CSM with an IoK to save some points, but if I get it right then :
    - 8 CSM; 1 Asp. Champ. w/ power weapon; IoK; rhino w/ havoc launcher & combi-plasma = 250 pts
    - 9 Khorne Berserkers; 1 Skull Champ.; rhino = 260 pts

The Khorne Berserkers are not only better because of their great WS (meaning they hit more often than normal troops and on a 3+ even against Space Marines), but because they have Furious Charge (gives +1 initiative and +1 strength on the charge), with their additionnal attack, it means they can wipe almost every infantry squad they encounter in one shot.

For the Predators my favourite configuration is a Twin-Linked Lascannon Turret with Heavy-Bolter Sponsons. This way you can advance 6” every turn and still fire every weapons. The Heavy-Bolters are great against infantry units and the Twin-Linked Lascannon is a sure shot against heavy armoured vehicules.

So 60 more points for the Predators, 20 more points for the Khorne Berserkers, you’re left with 45 points, that’s 2 havoc launchers for 30 pts and 2 combi-plasma for 10 pts… you’re left with 5 pts and you have a good 1000 pts list.

As for your question regarding Bolt Pistols, Bolters and CCW it is commonly called Uber Grit. It means that you can choose what you want to use each turn, so if you choose to use a rapid fire bolter in the shooting phase, then you won’t be able to charge in the assault phase, but you can use the bolter one turn, then the other turn use the bolt pistol during the shooting phase and charge during the assault phase. So your guess was the right one, you choose every phase what you will use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

This really is a good force at 1000 points, because it has many things the enemy won't predict, such as 2 main tanks, and Kharn. Can't go wrong with Kharn.

Anyways, I agree almost totally with Thyr, except for the pred thing.

I was kinda bored so I made this list for fun, and I think it came out good. This is just an example of what could be your army. I was bored so I tried really hard on it.:rofl

I think this saves enough points for a five man raptor squad. I almost couldn't fit it in, but I think it works.

New List:

Kharn the Betrayer - 165

Troops
    6 Khorne Berserkers (with Kharn); 1 Skull Champ, powerweapon; rhino = 191 pts

8 Khorne Berserkers; 1 Skull Champ, powerweapon; rhino = 233 pts

FAST ATTACK

5 raptors 2 meltas champion with powerweapon - 150

Heavy Support

Chaos Predator - 130
    w/ lascannon sponsons
    Chaos Predator - 130
    w/ lascannon sponsons
    (sorry Thyr, I just like these better, we both have our opinions.):happy:

total 999 pts.

How do you like it??? Also Sorry if its too far from your original list .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

My reasoning for the Demonic Possesion was since it ignores the 'Crew ----' results on the damage table, I'd be moving and shooting more, and getting in to combat faster. Against a Tau player, I could use that (rail rifles glancing at 30")...any other race the guns are probably going to just penetrate and blow it up.

I managed to miss the 'Furious Charge' on the Berzerkers, so now I can see the extra points being worth it.

Kharn the Betrayer - 165

Troops
    10 Khorne Berzerkers - 295
    w/ Skull Champion w/ Power Fist
    In Rhino w/ Combi-Weapon (to be determined)

10 Khorne Berzerkers - 295
    w/ Skull Champion w/ Power Fist
    In Rhino w/ Combi-Weapon (to be determined

Heavy Support
    Chaos Predator - 135
    w/ Twin-Linked Lascannon Turret, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Chaos Predator - 135
    w/ Twin-Linked Lascannon Turret, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

1 point left. I changed the Havoc Launcher to a Combi-Weapon. I think it'll depend on who I'm playing for the specific one. Flamer if it's Horde armies, to take out some more bodies before I charge, Plasma if it's MEQ, Melta if it's troops in transports. I'm gonna model some generic looking thing so I can pick and choose. If I need a specific one, it'll be Plasma. It has more shots than the Melta (for Horde), can still damage most transports (Anything short of a Land Raider. For those I have the PFist now...but those will be first on the Predators list anyway).

Question, on the Combi-Plasma, would the Gets Hot! rule effect a vehicle? I don't have access to a rule book at home, and I've never come across this situation before.

-I came to the decision of Power Fist over Power Weapon on my Skull Champion after a day of play testing (with Proxied troops...Tau playing as Khorne Berzerkers...L.O.L.). I played a handful of games, and in two of them the Predators were taken out before they could remove all of the enemy armor (once against Tau, once against Eldar). So I'm throwing them in to try and punch a hole in a Transport (should my enemy be hiding in one, as was the case both times). I took out the tanks with the Preds, but they were taken out before they could pop Transports (I find tanks a bigger threat than a transport, especially against Tau). With the troops sitting comfortably inside their transport, my Berzerkers could only do the same until Kharn got up there and pen'd it with a plasma pistol.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Reap View Post
    Chaos Predator - 130
    w/ lascannon sponsons
    (sorry Thyr, I just like these better, we both have our opinions.):happy:
    Since you take 2 Predators, maybe you can try one of each type. Take one with the TL LC turret and HB sponsons and the other one with the AC turret and the LC sponsons and decide what your favorite configuration is from there :happy:.

I'm not sure if I calculate it right but your Berserker squads are 280 pts each for 9 Berserkers w/ a Skull Champion, not 264 pts so that leave you with 15 points to spend and that's the exact price of a power weapon for a Skull Champion.

Your list look great to me, if ever you get into the enemy lines they are toast... 20 Berserkers of Khorne will do a carnage with about any type of infantry I know, only Blood Angels and Tyranids can go toe to toe with you and not all their unit will do it successfully.

As for getting a glancing result on a rhino, my experience tell me that it happen rarely, especially against a Tau that have Rail Guns and Seeker Missiles by the dozen (usually) so it will be a penetrating hit in so many occasions that you ditch Daemonic Possession quite rapidly. That upgrade is really worth it on the Land Raider though... but not for an AV11 transport that have a chance to explode when anything S5 and more hit it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Maybe I shouldn't edit the list three times before refreshing

I really don't want Kharn to ride with anyone (thought about this earlier), since he can kill his own guys. I'll see how running him behind works (probably not going to). One plan I have is to remove a Berzerker and run Kharn in a Rhino. Then when the Rhino gets close, everyone gets out and Kharn leaves the Marines to do his own thing.

I'll have to play around with it to see how works best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

I just had the thought to switch 1 Berzerker unit with a Thousand Suns unit, but would that make the list off-balance? I'm thinking I lack any MEQ killing, aside from the Lascannons (which are for Armor). The only problem I see is that the damned Sorcerer they have to take is 60 points, which knocks out the Rhino they would need to be effective.

They would have to footslog up to shoot, and Slow but Purposeful makes that a bad idea (if I remember the rule right...1d6" movement, yes?). By the time the Suns were in range, the Berzerkers would be in Melee.

Gah! Why does Chaos have to have such cool stuff

+ Reply to Thread