1500pt Thousand Son Land Raider Rush - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Thousand Son Land Raider Rush

Hi all

I'm brand new to Chaos, having played IG for the last few years, but am a bit stuck on a second army. I've drafted lists for fast moving Eldar, White Scars, even Tau, but have still to be really bitten by a style of play that appeals. I know I don't want another static army. I bought the Chaos codex, and possibly influenced by a couple of games against Deathwing, need some advice if the general idea below is practical. . My plan for 1500 pts is :
    Demon Prince, MoT, Wings, Warptime
    2 x squads of 8 Thousand Sons + Sorceror with GoC
    2 x Land Raiders to transport the Sons
    1 x 9 Raptors, MoT, AC with Lightning claws.

It comes to roughly 1500 pts. The idea would be rush 12", pop smoke, 2nd turn move 6", disembark, everybody unleashes rapid fire death, hopefully start creating a spawn every couple of turns to tie up enemy units. The Land Raiders then go for enemy armour. Raptors advance behind the LR's, DP goes for tanks. Clearly it needs to advance up a flank, so only a part of the enemy force is engaged at any one time.
    My doubts are I'm not sure if the model count is just too low. I can see real problems against Nid's or Ork hordes, but I'm more interested in theme and consistency for this army.
    Questions : Would Rhino's be better for transport ? I could probably squeeze in a Termi unit and a summoned GD instead.
    Is this a viable play style ? Is there a better way of doing the short range firefight idea ? Is there a better way of using 1K Sons ?

I also really like the models and colour scheme for the Thousand Sons, and to fit the strong themed idea want to keep to units of 9 with MoT where possible. I don't plan to start adding units with other icons.

Thanks v much

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I really think you would be much better off trying to run this at 2k points as at 1k points having 2 LRs is killing your model count. Also, when taking LRs it is generally a good idea to take daemonic posession on them as it means that they can move and fire until they are destroyed.

If you can find a few extra points it would be worth buying doombolt for your DP as it works pretty well in conjunction with warp time and is pretty cheap as well.

If you do expand it to 2k points I heavily recommend getting your squads personal icons and taking a few units of lesser daemons. They provide a cheap way fo upping your model counts and will help your 1k sons out in assualts.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to echo the comment about the land raider as well. If you are looking for a mobile and effective Tzeentch list then I would check out my comments on the following post:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=107999 (1500 Pt. Tourney/Fluffy List)

If you have to use Land Raiders, then in 1500 pts one is usually enough. Carry some Termis instead and throw your Sons in Rhinos. Add a little fire support with a Pred and you should be good to go. Don't know if that'll be competitive thou . . .

+ Reply to Thread