1500points undivided vs tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

1500points undivided vs tau

Hey All,

i am playing my first 1000+ game this week so im posting my first draft of my list to get some thoughts.

the points value of the game is 1500, and my opponent is Tau.

i have played this player in the past at lower points levels (hes quite an acomplished player)

some info about his army:
    - he has no kroot
    - he usually puts a LARGE amount of points in his hq and bodyguard
    - he likes to use sniper drones
    - i have yet to face any armor against him but i know he has some.

so, my list:

HQ - total 325
    Daemon Prince - 185
    wings
    MoT
    doombolt
    Warptime
    (i would have loved to use wind instead of doombolt but worried about the points)

Termie Sorcerer - 140
    MoS
    lash

Elite - total 270
    Chosen suicide squad - 150
    5 chosen
    5 meltas
    IoCG

3 terminators - 115
    2 combi plasma
    1 heavy flamer
    1 powerfist

Troops - total 443
    8 CSM - 210
    AC
    PF
    Flamer
    IoCG
    Rhino

8 Zerkers - 233
    skull champ
    PW
    Rhino

Fast Attack - total 319
    6 raptors - 200
    AC
    Twin Lightening Claws
    2 Meltas
    IoS

3 Bikes - 119
    IoCG
    2 Flamers

Heavy Support - 150
    Defiler -150
    2 extra DCCW

total infantry - 35
    total vehicles - 3
    total monsterous creatures - 1
    total points - 1502

ok, the jist will be to get into CC asap.
    - the bikes will turbo boost to give nice positions for deep strikes,
    - the chosen will be there to wipe out an important vehicle (hammerhead etc) and another deep strike point
    - raptors will be in his face causing general havoc
    - DP will charge right at him with the rhinos behind
    - defiler will fire his battle cannon untill he gets close enough to CC (i fear he may die before then)
    - termies will be a distraction that can pump out some decent wounds to his Fire warrirs or the like, especially is the lash is arround for the heavy flamer
    - the csm and zerkers wil do what they do best and just hurt him in CC, with enough distractions arround they should hopefully get ther ok.
    -i have used flamers rather than meltas on some troops as in previous games the only thing worth shooting at in his army with the melat was his hq which has so many ablative wounds that CC seems the way to go with him. im hoping the flamers can thin out his troops enough to get them to flee.

in previous games he has out manouvered me well, i feel with a fast and scarey list i can dominate him and force errors.

ok thats it, please hit me with any and all constructive critacism - i need it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, if your chosen are really intended as a suicide squad you'll probably want to keep them as cheap as possible. You can often reliably pop a tank with 2-3 melta shots. 5 seems like overkill, and you could shave some points by dropping two or three to taste.

I'm not a big fan of putting a lash sorc in terminator armor, as it really limits his mobility and mobility is key to using lash effectively. It doesn't seem like he's going to be joining any of your squads. (if you were planning on deep striking him with your other terminators, remember that 1. they might not come in on the same turn and 2. that deepstriking him will cost you at least one turn of lashing while he's waiting in reserve). I'd suggest wings so he could hide in your raptor squad, or making him a winged lash prince so he can contribute more pain in CC (but be sure to make careful use of cover if you go this route).

Also, your first prince seems a little too expensive, I think you were right to worry about the points. He'd retain much of his effectiveness and be a good deal cheaper if he just had wings and warp time.

I really like the inclusion of the defiler here, it has great synergy with lash. Just don't expect him to see the end of most games intact with only 3 pieces of armor on the table.

Happy hunting!
    -GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

thanks for the feedback GK its most apprecited!

i guess i just love the feel of 5 marinesall with meltas i also am very paranoid about missing with my valuable melta shots (i fear they may only get 1 turn of shooting) if i were to take the squad down to 3 meltas and 2 regualr marines wat would you put the extra 20 points into? maybe push for another termie?

my termie sorcerer is in termie armor due to the fact i only have that particular model :< (but it is nice model) i think your points are very valid however and will take them into consideration when i purchase more models

the reason for MoT on the prince is again i feel with this little armor the defiler or prince could be first kill targets, i think he will need that +4 inv save, maybe im wrong, this will be my first game with him! and doombolt is so cheap, when you have warptime already its hard to resist its pretty much gurenteed to kill 2 infantry a turn.

and i think your right about the defiler, tbh i was concerned that he might not see turn 2!

the game is tomorow night so ny further criticism anyone has would be greatly apprecited!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say you're correct, your prince will most likely be a high-priority target. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to spend the points on a MoT to bump his Inv. save from 5+ to 4+. Good use of cover can be just as effective. Just because he can fly 12" per turn doesn't necessarily mean he must, if there's a juicy hiding spot 8" toward the enemy. Rhinos also make for excellent mobile cover. If you're planning to buy mark of tzeentch, though, doombolt is a nice, cheap 2nd power to have and has decent synergy with Warp Time since you can re-roll the misses and nonwounds.

All of that overlooks the point that the very best place to hide a Demon Prince is in CC. So you could also consider making him a lash prince and try and finagle yourself a first-turn charge using wings and two lashes. (that first-turn CC would also make a great hiding spot for your raptors and bikers)

As for your model limitations on the sorc, not to worry... I doubt your opponent would be too opposed to letting that fancy termie armor "count as" powerarmor with a jump pack (unless you'd agreed to strict WYSIWYG rules beforehand). If he's going to fight you on that, expect to be rules-lawyered all game.

As for what to do with skimmed points, my suggestion would be to try and put another body into either the biker squad or the raptor squad. Why not the termies? The termies, while also a small unit, will be almost sure to make it into range to deliver their payload because they'll be deep striking in (hopefully with the help of an icon). The bikes and raptors (I do not recommend deep-striking raptors) will be lining up with everybody else and depending on cover may be subjected to some serious fire before they get into range to do their dirty work. Those are currently very small squads, and more bodies you've got in the squad, the more likely the squad will survive to see CC and the more attacks you'll have once you get there.

Best of luck with your game!

-GK

+ Reply to Thread