1500 Chaos; Infantry Heavy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

1500 Chaos; Infantry Heavy

Whew... been awhile since I've posted in this section. Let's make up for that!

I'm looking to transition my old Alpha Legion list into a new, formidable list, and with some help, I think I've come up with a list that is both competitive and enjoyable to play. The main idea is to be able to build an army using the existing set of models I have without having to add too much to the army.

Army list is in blue.
    Comment are in red.

Sorcerer Lord: 200
    Mark of Tzeentch; Terminator Armour; Warptime; Wind of Chaos

Represented by this model -
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Front_Shot.jpg

He used to be a Infiltrating, Daemonic Speed + Darkblade Lord, but I think he can just as easily represent a Lord that uses a bit of psychic power to enhance his combat prowess, much like Huron Blackheart. The WoC is just ice cream on top of the pie of blueberry death.

4x Terminators: 175
    Icon of Chaos Glory
    3x Combi-Plasma; Champion w/ Heavy Flamer & Chainfist

Newly added models. Nothing much to comment here. Standard 'Churn 'n Burn' tactics here. No, I don't know what the 'Churn' means. I made it up.

8x Chosen Marines: 219
    Icon of Khorne
    2x Meltaguns
    Champion w/ Powerfist

8x Chosen Marines: 219
    Icon of Khorne
    2x Meltaguns
    Champion w/ Powerfist

Infiltrate close, preferably on the flanks and try to collapse them. Just need to make the Icon bearers for these units.

10x Chaos Space Marines: 230
    Icon of Chaos Glory
    2x Plasmaguns
    Rhino w/ TL Bolter

10x Chaos Space Marines: 230
    Icon of Chaos Glory
    2x Plasmaguns
    Rhino w/ TL Bolter

Standard units. No champion needed, in my opinion. Designed to hold objectives and take on just about any unit. I may consider swapping out one of the Plasmaguns for a Heavy Bolter, but I wonder how well that would synergize with the Rhinos.

Yes, I realize I have only two Rhinos in the list for vehicles. That doesn't bother me. Either they suck up tons of firepower, taking pressure off the Chosen, or they survive and drop off Rapid Firing death.

Just need to add the Rhinos for these squads.

1x Obliterator: 75

Not much to say here. Love my Oblits.

So... anyone have any bright ideas for enhancing the army?

Last edited by Caluin; January 10th, 2008 at 05:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ang
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Looks pretty good and fairly effective, only thing i'd consider changing would be removing the terminators and replacing them with 2 more oblits and 25 points spent how you feel like.

You'll get more use and more firepower from 2 oblits over the duration of a game then a throw away unit of 4 terminators. Insert plasma cannon loving here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Looks pretty good. I think with those 2 inflitrating chosen squads, my heavy guns would be focused on them before I worried about the rhinos.

My only question really, is how the terminators and lord plan on getting into combat. I assume with they'd be deepstriking, and I assume you already know the risks that would be associated with that.

Nice model, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin View Post
    Newly added models. Nothing much to comment here. Standard 'Churn 'n Burn' tactics here. No, I don't know what the 'Churn' means. I made it up.
    "Churn" - it's how butter is made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ang View Post
    Looks pretty good and fairly effective, only thing i'd consider changing would be removing the terminators and replacing them with 2 more oblits and 25 points spent how you feel like.

You'll get more use and more firepower from 2 oblits over the duration of a game then a throw away unit of 4 terminators. Insert plasma cannon loving here.
    Probably a good idea, but I don't like the idea of modelling two more Oblits. I *hate* them with a passion. Love them on the table top, hate making them ready for the table top. I actually look forwards to modelling some of the new Terminators - they look hawt.

But good idea regardless. If I expand the army, that's probably where I'll go.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmtu View Post
    Looks pretty good. I think with those 2 inflitrating chosen squads, my heavy guns would be focused on them before I worried about the rhinos.
    Aye - some people prefer shooting the Rhinos. Either way is fine by me, really. The Rhinos are semi-reliable on the first turn (w/ smoke), and the Chosen are survivable enough with some decent cover.

My only question really, is how the terminators and lord plan on getting into combat. I assume with they'd be deepstriking, and I assume you already know the risks that would be associated with that.
    The Terminators are a throw away unit. Deep Strike, land, and nuke something bad. Then they absorb fire power, since no sane opponent will allow a unit like that running around their lines, assaulting their precious units.

The Sorc Lord is about the same tactic, though much less emphasis on the 'throw away.' The idea is to pop him down by one of the Icon bearing units, WoC a unit, then use the Icon Bearing unit to assault and block Line of Sight to him. If all else fails, he can sometimes join up with the Terminators and use them for protection.

Mainly I'm just at a loss at how to best use that model linked above, and this is the best idea I could come up with.

"Churn" - it's how butter is made.
    I knew that.

I meant I didn't know what the term 'Churn 'n burn' meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

The Terminators are a throw away unit. Deep Strike, land, and nuke something bad. Then they absorb fire power, since no sane opponent will allow a unit like that running around their lines, assaulting their precious units.
    A throw away unit, eh? How about dropping the Icon then and maybe upgrading your tl bolters on the rhino's to combi-plasmas for added rapid firing death?

Ang
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Probably a good idea, but I don't like the idea of modelling two more Oblits. I *hate* them with a passion. Love them on the table top, hate making them ready for the table top. I actually look forwards to modelling some of the new Terminators - they look hawt.
    Haha, thats true Oblits are a pain to make, they never fit properly and take a lot of greenstuff to look good. Hell i tend to use green stuff in all the joints just so they fit as a smooth surface!.

So yeah i can agree with your dislike of the oblit models, and also agree on the new terminator models!, they look fantastic and are fairly easy to make up. I've been running a squad of 5 or 6 depending on the points value in an Iron Warriors army i've been using since the new dex came out. And i think if you use them not as a throw away unit but still build them cheaply with just combi bolters they are great at deep striking on an icon and holding a flank.

Generally the squad make up i use is 5/6 terms, 1 reaper autocannon, icon of slaanesh to make use of all those power weapons and a chainfist thrown in for good measure. Possibly a champion or 2 if i have the points spare.

Big fish in a little pond raytard22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Caluin, I like the list, it is very similar to the one I am currently running. At 1500 pts I agree fielding 2 rhinos isn't that big of a risk. The deepstrike/icon game can be really fun and I think it's one of the best strategies to come out of the new codex.
    The only think that i'm not 100percent sold on in your list is the HQ. Pricey and a one trick pony. I'm not sold on the flamer template doom for 200pts. At this points level i'd drop the warptime and buy another warm body somewhere.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ang View Post
    Looks pretty good...
    Looks pretty good...
    On that note, looks pretty good.

Don't you know it, admin posts a list, and everyone wants on board :rofl. Your old first-turn-strike lord looks menacing. Great job on the washes.

On to the list: Tank busters...check. Swarm killers...check. Mobility or the likes...double check. You know, if you wanted to be a real stinker, you could d.s. half your army. That, coupled with the infiltrators, leaves your opponent looking across the board at a pair of rhinos in order to determine his own placement.

The termis work just fine. While taking a couple more obliterators might give you more sustained firepower, the termis are such great shock troops. These small units consistently take down all kinds of troop within rapid fire range, as well as heckle those monstrous creatures. There's little to no chance of scattering with the icons, so they can double up with one of your marine squads and lay waste to enemy infantry. Really, in 4th edition, there's no reason 'not' to take small termi squads.

I've been thinking about terminator lords lately, and I've come to the conclusion that if your army includes a batch of icons, then you can often much avoid those pesky incoming shots that would love to target your termi lord. Your tactics for blocking enemy LOS seems to work fairly well. That's been my experience at least.

Another thing that will distract fire from your rhinos are the obliterators, assuming you footslog them. People still fear their lascanons and often view them as larger threats than the hidden squads contained within the rhinos (which is a huge mistake).

EDIT: Whatever happened to the raptors you were using in 3rd edition? If you fielded these pups, then you could take the bastard lash sorcerer and hide him among those jump packs.
    Last edited by Rabbit; January 10th, 2008 at 19:02.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Army list is in blue.
    Comment are in red.
    Thanks, that made it far more difficult to read ;Y

Well, I think you may have found a use for rhinos. However, I still can't get them to be anything other than a convenient way of getting my units pinned. However, I typically try the all or nothing approach, which inevitably leaves some small part of the rhino just barely in LOS of some crafty anti tank unit, and having rhinos guarantees the loss of first turn.

The things I would pick on, would be the lord - but I think your set on him already. Its just that hes more points than the entire terminator squad, not sure hes worth it.

Good Hunting.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1466 (x8)

Aside from the lord and the terminators the list "Looks Pretty Good" (Sorry had to get that one in there. :rofl).
    I would consider changing your lord to a sorcerer with an Icon of Chaos Glory and Warp Time as this will be a lot more efficient for you.
    I would not consider using the terminators as a throw away unit, instead I would propbably take a unit of Raptors instead to give you a greater edge in close combat. 8Y

JvK :happy:
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast