CSM Vehicle Light, 1850pt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSM Vehicle Light, 1850pt

Ok so I haven't played any 40k for about 8 months and I come back to find a Chaos Codex without my beloved Alpha Legion (I'm not going to moan about new Codex's it's different that's all) and a 1850pt tournament on the 27th January. Also the armies the rest of the club have been fielding have changed drastically in those 8 months. Poeple are now fielding lots of vehicles, multiple Leman Russ, Tau Hammerhead's (if that's what they are called), Predators but not any Land Raiders.

I have put together a rough list for comment it currently comes in at 1855 so needs a little tidying. My army has been called the Company of Shadows and as I said was based around Alpha Legion so I have no vehicles currently painted. I do have a broken Defilier someone gave me and access to a couple of Rhino's I can use to make up for my lack of infiltrate.

HQ
    Lord of Shadows - Daemon Prince (Wings, Daemon Weapon, Doombolt) 150 - To fly with my Raptors

Elites
    8x Chosen (3x Meltagun, Powerfist) 199 - I plan to Infiltrate these as far up the field as possible and see if I can destroy any vehicles or take the focus off my other units)

Troops
    8x CSM (AC w/PF, Plasma Gun, IoCG) 185 - Will hang back at the beginning to protect Havoc's and then maybe foot slog it up the field
    8x CSM (AC w/PF, Plasma Gun, IoCG, Rhino) 220 - Will occupy the rhino and drive up the field with the Raptors and DP

Fast Attack
    8x Raptors (AC w/LC or PF, IoK, 2x Melta Gun) 250 - Fly with my DP, hopfully screened by the two Rhino's one empty and one with CSM's in. Looking to get into H2H early or take out vehicles with the MG's.
    7x Bikes (AC w/PF, 2x Melta Gun, IoCG) 301 - Boost up the table using cover or perhaps with DP and Raptors, take out vehicles or into H2H.

Heavy Support
    6x CSM (3xML, IoCG, Rhino) 195 - In some cover at the back, hopefully with a decent firing line. I intend to use the Rhino to cover the DP and Raptors, popping smoke first turn.
    6x CSM (3x LC, IoCG) 205 - In some cover at the back again with a decent firing line.
    Defilier 150 (CCW version) - Just fancy fielding this. Perhaps stick in one corner fire and move it up the table, might make a few people wary and draw off over units again.

That's it. I know it has a lot of fast attack but I like that, but comments please. I haven't played with this Codex at all but I'm planning to have a game this weekend and would appreciate some guidance.

Last edited by Grays; January 16th, 2008 at 14:38. Reason: Reduce font size..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

welcome back to 40k.

Now to rip some on your list

I take it your HQ is not a Demon prince but rather a lord with wings as you can't put a MC in a unit of raptors. If it is a Lord you should mark it. even if it's just MoCG.

putting meltaguns on a slogging unit that will be unable to fire until turn 2 when they are all dead is perhaps not a good idea. have you considered 4 plasmaguns in that unit instead? I know you want it to hunt tanks but really raptors and ahvocs are better for that because they ahve better mobility/range.

you troops are using 1 or 2 plasmaguns per squad? if its just one why? also rhinos are dirt cheap everything that can be put in a rhino should be put in a rhino with new dex.
    Have you considered plague marines here? for plasmaguns and resiliance they are plain evil.

cant go wrong with raptors. fact is I may go so far as to say you can only go wrong without them. too good to leave at home. Love the set up too 8 man very Khorny (also best amount mathhammerwise) 5/5 on this one 8Y

now bikes... have you considered marking thes with IoN? t6 anyone? not very black legiony but can you resist? should be a pretty stable unit with just IoCG though.

now havocs. I know a few people running havocs and many of them run 6 man squads. now take that 6 man squad and subject it to one of the following: being hit by baselisk/battlecannon/barbed starngler/prism cannon/hammerhead submunissions/flamers/random bolter fire/etc does this unit still work? even with IoCG it will start thinking about running after just 2 kills it will consider to get wiped in a single round from large blasts and with a minimum of effort from the enemy the unit stops working. up the squads to 8 or 9 man and throw in a forth heavy weapon or run with a few oblitz as back up when they get wiped. Don't rely on a 6 man squad and finally ahve you considered that you can get 3 oblitz with the same amount of wounds better armor better leadership and the ablity to move and fire for just 20 more points?

defiler... hmm wnt comment that too much other than if you are running defilers you should bring 2 for additional shock value and maybe you should try and the list more cc oriented. 2 oblitz would prolly work better with your list.

For friendly games don't change a thing It's sporty as is.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My HQ is Daemon Prince and when I said run with I didn't mean join just keep them together.

The Chosen - yep it's an odd unit and people will have to deal with it. I'm not sure how well it will work to be honest. 4 Plasma Gun's will give it a better infantry punch but they could still be killed turn 1 or 2. What about Terminators instead?

The CSM squads have only one Plasma Gun each 'cos I couldn't afford more without dropping another man. Is it better to have an 8 man squad with one PG or a 7 man squad with two?

I did look at Plague Marines and I do have some I could finish painting but then your talking only about 6 in a squad, but they are fearless and T6. So I'm not sure if a 6 man PM squad is better than an 8 man CSM?

I'll probably leave the bikes alone - again cost really drives this. ALthough as you say t6 is tempting.

Havoc - I know loads of poeple talk about are they worth it. I ran them before the old codex all the time and I know what you say about getting wiped out but they don't. If you stick them in cover they generally survive a few turns and IoCG often helps keep them there. I originally had them as 8 man squads with 4 LC or 4 ML each but it's just gets too pricey, but nice.

The Defilier, yeah I know. I used an Ob Cult in the old Codex and fits will with my armies very infantry feel but... ok your right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Grays View Post
    HQ
    Lord of Shadows - Daemon Prince (Wings, Daemon Weapon, Doombolt) 150 - To fly with my Raptors
    I'm fairly sure a Daemon Prince can't have a daemon weapon, he's only armed with a close combat weapon. It's only chaos lords who have access to daemon weapons. Or was it a typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few comments Daemon Princes cant run with Daemon weapons and secoundly there is no mark of chaos glory to put on a lord there already fearless if your talking about giving him the mark for the +1 str on the daemon weapon it actually specifies unmarked lords get it.
    Change is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

daemon prince with daemon weapon would be so 00ber...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I think a 6 man PM squad could definately soak up more enemy firepower than an 8 man CSM squad. Furthermore, a 6 man PM squad could take 2 special weapons instead of just one. Could be a good option.

You could afford to drop 2 bikers to get some extra points. 7 Bikers seems like a very strange number and seems a bit too big. Keeping the squad smaller makes it easier to hide as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Thanks for your advice & I've had a bit of a ponder...

(Daemon Weapon on a Daemon Prince - I must have been dreaming.)

So updated list.

HQ
    Daemon Prince (Wings, MoS, Lash) 155

Elites
    4x Terminators (4x Combi-Plasma) 140

Troops
    9x CSM (AC w.PF, 1xMelta Gun, Rhino) 220
    9x PM (PC w/PF, 2x Plasma Gun) 277

Fast Attack
    8x Raptors (AC w/2xLC, IoK, 2x Melta Gun) 250
    6x Bikers (BC w/PF, 1x Melta Gun, IoCG) 258

Heavy Support
    6x CSM (3xMissile Launcher, IoCG, Rhino) 195
    6x CSM (3x Lascannon, IoCG) 205
    2x Ob Cult 150

Total 1850

A couple of thoughts on this list that you may be able to help with:

- On the DP. Which is better Mos & lash or Warptime?
    - I might put the havoc's Rhino on the PM's instead. Better, worse, don't care?

Any thoughts or comments please?

+ Reply to Thread