1500pt Tzeentch - Getting Started - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Tzeentch - Getting Started

Hey all!

I'm about to start playing WH40K, and want an army for both casual and tournament matches. My current knowledge is limited to the Chaos Codex, the better half of the baby rulebook, and the Dawn of War PC game; so please bear with me =). (Yes! I am a noob!!)

My 1500 pt army (you can call this my "primary" army.)

Chaos Sorcerer
    MoT, Disc, Familiar, Icon
    Warptime, WoC, BoC
    250 pts

Chaos Spawn x2
    80 pts - (these are for HQ's WoC)

Thousand sons x8+1
    Doombolt, Icon, Melta bombs
    Rhino with Twin Bolter
    304 pts

Thousand sons x8+1
    Rhino with Twin Bolter
    304 pts

Berzerkers x10
    Champion, power fist
    250 pts

Terminators x5
    MoT, Combi plasma, Heavy flamer, powerfist, chainfist
    235 pts

Obliterator
    75 pts

Total 1498

I guess one of my main worries is my HQ, consuming too many points. Another concern is the HS;
    I would have liked a Havoc squad with a generous serving of rocket launchers to do some sniping. I also would have liked lesser demons..

As I have not played before, I don't have much strategy. I was thinking that I would use the HQ to snipe vehicles then go in to assassinate enemy HQ while dropping in the two spawns behind borders. Berzerkers are my close combat guys, though I don't know if I will be able to get them into action before all my TS are slaughtered..

All suggestions for improvements are welcome, I want to buy my first army before the end of the month =)

Last edited by recoman3; January 23rd, 2008 at 11:22.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ is too expensive, remember warptime and using the force weapon and WoC can't be done on one turn even with MoT. Warptime and WoC is enough but I would still prefer a daemon prince.

Spawn suck for the points alas. Drop 'em

Squads look ok. You can shave off points by dropping icons and extra guns on the rhinos.

Terminators would be slightly better with 1 Combi melta, 4 combi plasma and 1 chain fist. I Love IoT on terminators.

I think you need more obliterators in units of one to boost the long range anti tank. They can always deepstrike to use the meltas or - if you kept the icons - then you can get them very close safely to use TL flamers.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

All good advice.

To mad cat's suggestions, I would add dropping a Berserker squad or the terminator squad and replacing it with a group of Raptors. Your HQ is going to be a very easy target all by himself and he needs some back up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hows this:

Chaos Sorcerer
    MoT, Disc, Icon
    Warptime, GoC (or is doombolt better? Now I want to just get this guy into action instead of snipe tanks)
    215 pts

Thousand sons x8+1
    Rhino
    299 pts

Thousand sons x8+1
    264 pts

Berzerkers x10
    Champion, power fist, Rhino
    285 pts

Terminators x7 (getting more val for my MoT, if we can lower HQ more I would stick another couple of guys here)
    MoT, 4xCombi plasma, Heavy flamer, chainfist
    285 pts

Obliterator x2 (in separate units)
    150 pts

Total 1498

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I echo the earlier comment that spawn are terrible. And I believe you may be misunderstanding the rule about Gift of Chaos.

You don't actually have to pay points for the Spawn models you put into play upon a successful Gift of Chaos attack. It's a 'free' unit for you and an extra kick in the crotch to the opposing player who just lost a (hopefully) critical model. All of this is tempered by Gift of Chaos' relatively low chance of actually working.

Gift of Chaos is actually such a poor choice for a psychic power that I think I'd only use it if my opponent agreed to actually let me glue chaos spawn tentacles to his model if I landed a shot. Then again, while *slightly* inebriated, my friends and I have resolved tank-shocks against vehicles by physically ramming the models into each other and seeing which one comes out in better shape. Good ol' sturdy rhinos.

But I've digressed.

I'd suggest...

1. take the MoT off of the terminators. Adding one more to their invuln. save isn't really worth the cost of the mark. Plus small, surgical-strike style terminator squads are more effective (and more scoring units is a plus). Split that unit into two groups of four, each with 3x combi-plasma and 1x heavy flamer and p.fist

2. Replace the berzerkers with a unit of 8 raptors with MoK, 2x Meltas, and an asp. Champ with p.fist. These guys can advance quickly and you can deep strike the termies to their icon for forward support.

3. Put some wings on the sorc, give him MoS and Lash, and fly him around with the raptors to take IC cover. Once he drags a juicy target into charge range for the raptors, he can either engage with them or break off and start playing crowd-control for your 1k Sons. They don't want to be in CC.

4. Drop the rhino. As your only armor, it most likely won't survive the first turn, leaving your 1k Sons entangled. 1k Sons are actually decent footsloggers anyway.

Happy Tzeentching!
    -GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here goes:

Chaos Sorcerer
    MoT, Disc, Icon
    Warptime, GoC + 2 chaos spawns (Psychic tests are passed automatically with MoT, so shouldn't GoC work always? Plus I can shoot after GoC)
    215 pts

Thousand sons x8+1
    264 pts

Thousand sons x8+1
    264 pts

Raptors x8
    Asp Champ w/ p.fist, 2 melta bombs, MoK
    240 pts

Terminators x4 (one champ)
    3xCombi plasma, Heavy flamer, p.fist
    260 pts

Terminators x4 (Two champ)
    3xCombi plasma, Heavy flamer, p.fist
    270 pts

Obliterator x4 (in separate units)
    225 pts

Total of 1498

I kinda added the termy champs cause I didn't know where to stick 30 points..
    Last edited by recoman3; January 25th, 2008 at 16:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for my lack of clarity. By "2x meltas" in the raptor group I was suggesting two meltaguns, not two melta bombs. They're much more versatile than the bombs and will serve you well.

I don't have my codex in front of me but I don't believe that the MoT lets you auto-pass psychic tests. And, even if you pass the psychic test for GoC (which you will most of the time anyway), remember that you still have to roll against the model's toughness.

Other than that, the list looks good. I'd suggest WarpTime and Wind of Chaos for the two powers on your sorc. That's a mean combo since WarpTime lets you reroll any failed wounds on the WoC.

Happy hunting!
    -GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I want to thank you for your help GK.

2 meltaguns and WoC it is then =)

I don't have any battle exp, so I was wondering what the benefits of having Possessed or Chosen space marines over Termies would be.. Though I do want to deep-striking my termies looks really fun to me..

My heavy support also has deep strike and can change what wep it is using each turn, but would a focused havoc squad be better? I'm passing on having a tank because of the "look at me, I'm a big fat bullseye" effect it will have (which you implied)...

(with my Army pretty much chosen, now I have to decide on a paint scheme =), probably dark blue with copper edges and red highlights)..

+ Reply to Thread