1000 pts Renegades [all-comers] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

1000 pts Renegades [all-comers]

I've an upcoming battle against a friend and his Space Nuns with Guns.
    I tried to keep in mind a list that could take on any opponent but I made some choices based on a fear that he'll bring a Vindicare assassin.

Anyway, I've come up with two lists, one mechanized and one pure infantry. Any suggestions on how to imporove any of them or opinions of which list seems best are welcome and much appreciated.

List I: Mechanized.

=============
    HQ (125pts/12,5%)
    =============

Chaos Lord (125pts)
    * Power-fist, combi-melta

================
    Troops (430pts/43%)
    ================

7 x Chaos Space Marines (210pts)
    * Aspiring Champion (with Power-fist, combi-melta), Melta gun, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino

8 x Chaos Space Marines (220pts)
    * Aspiring Champion (with Power-fist), Plasma gun, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino

==================
    Fast Attack (170pts/17%)
    ==================

5 x Raptors (170pts)
    * Aspiring Champion (with Power-fist), 2 x Melta gun, Icon of Chaos Glory

======================
    Heavy Support (275pts/27,5%)
    ======================

Chaos Predator (130pts)
    * Lascannon side sponsons

Chaos Vindicator (145pts)
    * Daemonic Possession

===============
    Grand Total: 1000pts
    ===============

Setup and tactics:
    Lord join the 7-man Marine squad in their Rhino. Together the two Rhino tries to close the range and possibly pop a tank with their meltas or just do what troops do.
    The raptors are for mobile anti-tank and general close combat nastiness.
    The Predator takes up fire lane to threaten enemy tanks.
    The Vindicator tries to threaten infantry and make them wary of their movements.

List II: Non-mechanized:

=============
    HQ (150pts/15%)
    =============

Chaos Lord (150pts)
    * Jump pack, Power-fist, Personal Icon, Mark of Khorne

==============
    Elites (140pts/14%)
    ==============

4 x Chaos Terminators
    * 4 x Combi-plasma

================
    Troops (540pts/54%)
    ================

13 x Chaos Space Marines (265pts)

13 x Chaos Space Marines (275pts)
    * Aspiring Champion (with Poser-fist), 2 x Plasma gun, Icon of Chaos Glory

==================
    Fast Attack (170pts/17%)
    ==================

5 x Raptors (170pts)

===============
    Grand Total: 1000pts
    ===============

Setup and tactics:
    Troops try to move forward to gain rapid fire and close combat.
    The lord joins the raptors in hunt for tanks and close combat support. It's also their duty to guide in the terminators to the most advantageous position.
    Terminators goes for deep strike and a tide of plasma, then close combat if they survive the return fire.

So what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting with your first list,

I do not really like to use a power fist on an independent character, for obvious reasons.
    I would aim to replace it with a daemon weapon (especially since he is unmarked, that is one sweet weapon) by dropping his fist, downgrading the plasma gun in one of the Marine squads to a meltagun (or two flamers!) as well as dropping the combi-melta on the aspiring champion in the first squad. Plasma guns are not allowed to be fired if you wish to assault on the same turn, and assault is just the thing that Chaos Space Marines wishes to do most of the time. The lord will also provide the second melta shot in the first squad, so the champion's combi-melta is not too necessary, I don't think.

So, to summarize the block 'o text above..
    -drop the lord's powerfist.
    -downgrade the plasma gun in the Marine squad.
    -drop the combi-melta in the Marine squad.

+give the lord a daemon weapon.

The rest of the first list looks nice and tight though.

For your second list, I would do the same treatment to your HQ as in list one.
    Make him unmarked, drop his fist and give him the daemon weapon.

The Terminators are looking deadly. Which is good! ;Y

Now, for your troops.. I would suggest replacing your Marines with some Plague Marines. Or use the count-as rule to avoid using the actual Plague Marine models, like I do. I'm not too fond of them.
    Anyway..
    Plague Marines are simply superior on a footslogging note, IMO. Of course, your numbers will decrease a bit, but overall staying power should increase significantly. Think perhaps two squads of 10 with plasma guns? Usually I do not like to include plasma guns in regular troop units but since they are slogging it, they can make use of the 24'' range. Although looking at your forethought tactics, it looks like meltaguns might suit your needs better. Alternatively, you could risk it and place plasma pistols on the champions. They are allowed to be fired once and still assault on the same turn. As I said though, it is risky!

The Raptors are fine.

Overall, I like your first list the most. Granted, I am sort of a mechanized player myself so I might be a bit biased.

Hope I have helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the secound list it has more bodies on the table which will allow you some good survivability. For the lord I would drop the fist he hs a higher initiative than most things and you should take advantage of it. Use either a pair of lighting claws or run undivided with a daemon wepaon.
    Change is good

Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Thank you both for your input.

Since you both agree on taking the fist from the lord, I think I might go with that.
    In the mechanized list, I put him in the squad most specialized for tank hunting. Since there's no easy 5 points to release, I think I'll be going for twin claws if I go for that build.
    In the other build, I could drop the Mark of Khorne and go with the DW, (I don't much like the Khorne DW) or I could just go for twin claws here as well. What do you think.

I like the fact that even in this small a game, I can fit the army with enough armor to make my opponent choose his targets. But I'm kind of fond of the idea of (almost, the terminators are still there) deniying him targets for his anti-tank fire.

Does anyone think I'm going over the top with anti tank capability?

We'll see how it'll turn out.

Thank you again for your input!
    More opinions are very welcome.
    Last edited by Mechatius; February 21st, 2008 at 08:04. Reason: Adding some...

+ Reply to Thread