Librarium Online Forums banner

First ever 40k List up for review - 1500

394 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  danjones87 
#1 ·
Hi there. I have played fantasy for about 14 years but always thought 40k was fantasy without tactics... However some of the new chaos miniatures convinced me to paint a chaos army for 40k. Not it's done I'm totally hooked on only having to paint 50ishmodels for a whole army!!!!!

I have had 2 1k point games of 40k to get used to the basics and I'm now starting to put a list together. I have read up a lot on various forums but an help woult be greatly appreciated.

On another note... Are rhinos totally necessary for squads? I can understand with zerkers and stuff but CSM seem to have quite good range on their basic bolters?

Ok... List... Points are not quite right so need to work out what to do.

Lord - Jump Pack - Deamon waep - COmbi Plas

10 chosen
Asp Champ with pwr weapon
4 Meltas

6 Termies
Combi Plasmas all round
1 Chainfist

10 Marine
Asp Champ with Fist
2 plasmas

7 Plague Marines
2x PLasmas
asp champ with fist

9 Beserkers
2 PLasma pistols

6 Raptors
Asp Champ with fist
2 Meltas

Dread
Plasma Cannon

This comes out to roughly 1500pt.. Any comments appreciated.

I also have (painted up):
Demon Prince
6 Close Combat Termies
another CSM Squad
2 x 5 Havoks (inc 4 lascannon and 4 hvy Bolters)
Bike Squad
Lord on a Bike
Land Raider
2 Predators

So... any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Forgot to add:

I am not bothered about 100% hardcoreness. For me the models are where this game is at and I want a good selection (hence the dread). I'ts for pretty friendly games mostly anyways.

I wand to, ideally, have a unit of each god's marines purely so I can paint them up. This would reflect the "undividedness" of my 2nd CC termi squad which have a termi from each mark painted up.

#3 ·
This is quiet a good choice. My only suggestion would be to swap the combi plasma for a combi melta, the combi plasma is a rapid fire weapon while the melta is a assualt weapon, you dont want him floundering outside of combat after he has shot. This way the lord has good synergy with the raptors at tank hunting.

10 chosen
4 Meltas
A bit of a large squad realy. Id reduce its size.

Dread
Plasma Cannon
Nice choice, its just a little unreliable. He is a lone piece of armour, if you come across anyone with a few anti tank weapons dont expect to see him past turn two.

6 Termies
Combi Plasmas all round
1 Chainfist
Nice one here, id suggest using a heavy flamer on one terminator. It causes alot of wound rolls with its high strength and big template. For a combi plasma conversion guide checkout the link in my signiture.

10 Marine
Asp Champ with Fist
2 plasmas
Good choice.

7 Plague Marines
2x PLasmas
asp champ with fist
Again good choice.

9 Beserkers
2 PLasma pistols
Drop the plasma pistols, you will only fire them once and they arent worth it.

6 Raptors
Asp Champ with fist
2 Meltas
This squad is a little small for my liking, trade some members of the chosen squad of 2 more in here.

You list lacks long ranged anti tank weapons. Id suggest adding some havocs in to fill this role and expanding the army to 2000 points.

Its a nice list to start of with, a few minor changes and you should have yourself a fun army with the potential to simmer it down to a nice competative force if you wish.

Dan

#4 · (Edited)
Hi very good comments on this list I'd pretty much change everything that Danjones said, Rep mate!!! But to add to that I'd drop 2 termis to have 4 (4 combi plasmas will get the job done) and then get a transport or 2 for the chaos marines and zerkers so your whole army is mobile, but then you'd risk having them easily blown up since you don't have much armour,

Gilli

#5 ·

Nice choice, you might want to consider putting him in a squad so he is not a loner...as a loner he will get targeted easily and die fast.

10 chosen
4 Meltas

Swap the power weapon for a power fist. It will help the squad in the long run.

6 Termies
Combi Plasmas all round
1 Chainfist

You should also consider getting a powerfist for this squad as well.

10 Marine
Asp Champ with Fist
2 plasmas

Are these regular CSM?

7 Plague Marines
2x PLasmas
asp champ with fist

Nice choice here. The setup is very good.

9 Beserkers
2 PLasma pistols

Drop the plasma pistols, and get a skull champ with powerfist.

6 Raptors
Asp Champ with fist
2 Meltas

Try to up this squad to 8...and run the lord with this squad here so he is not alone and cannot be targeted.

Dread
Plasma Cannon

Chaos dreads are very risky to run. I prefer not to run them at all, but that is me.

I would consider getting a bit more anti tank....You really don't have all that much in this list. And at 1500 you should probably have more then you do. Consider dropping a troop squad for some more anti tank options.

#6 ·
Cool. thanks so much for all the comments. I am playing my 2nd ever game of 40k on Thursday - 1500pts vs tratior guard. Taking the comments on board I now have:

Lord
Jump Pack
Claws
(with raptors)

5 termies
1 Chain Fist
1 Flamer

7 Chosen
A.C. with Fist
4 Meltas

10 CSM
AC with Fist
2x Plasma
Rhino

7 Deathguard
AC with Pwr Weap
2 Plasma

10 Beserkers
Skullchamp with fist
Rhino

7 Raptors
2 Meltas
AC with Fist

I realise I am going to go up vs tanks and I dont have much Anti Tank. I have 3 predators and 3 sets of havkos painted now (lascannon one, HB one and Missile launcher one). It would be easy to swap a squad in for one of the other squads but i really like the idea of an aggressive army that gets close. Is there any way I can combat this without changing the army too much?

Also, would CC termies be any good in this army? I have just sculpted and painted a set of nurgle ones but more for the fun of it...

Thanks in advance

#7 ·
Lord
Jump Pack
Claws
(with raptors)
Simple choice. Nice one.

5 termies
1 Chain Fist
1 Flamer
Pretty nice load out vs guard I guess. Id suggest that this unit is used for ripping open tanks after DS.

7 Chosen
A.C. with Fist
4 Meltas
Im not keen on this unit. I know I said it wasnt bad before, i believe the points from this unit would be better spent on a fast moving unit like raptors or giving the termies some combi weapons

10 CSM
AC with Fist
2x Plasma
Rhino
Excellant

7 Deathguard
AC with Pwr Weap
2 Plasma
Where did the wonderful powerfist go? Either drop the sword for a fist or drop the champion altogether, against guard a powerweapon isnt worth the effort as they barely get saves anyway

10 Beserkers
Skullchamp with fist
Rhino
10/10

7 Raptors
2 Meltas
AC with Fist
Good solid unit

As you noted you lack ranged AT. You also lack Icons for the DSing of the Termies.

I realise I am going to go up vs tanks and I dont have much Anti Tank. I have 3 predators and 3 sets of havkos painted now (lascannon one, HB one and Missile launcher one). It would be easy to swap a squad in for one of the other squads but i really like the idea of an aggressive army that gets close. Is there any way I can combat this without changing the army too much?
A couple of DSing oblitoraters would be nice.

Also, would CC termies be any good in this army? I have just sculpted and painted a set of nurgle ones but more for the fun of it...
Id only say yes to CC termies if you use them in a land raider, DSing or walking is too risky.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.