1K Chaos: First 40k Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1K Chaos: First 40k Army

HQ: Chaos Lord 165 Pts
    Daemon Weapon; Bike; Personal Icon

Elite: Deepstriking Terminators 195 Pts
    5 Terminators
    Chain Fist (x1); Combi-plasma (x3); Heavy Flamer (x1); Chaos Glory

Troops: Chaos Space Marines 255 Pts
    8 Chaos Space Marines
    Meltagun (x1); Chaos Glory
    1 Aspiring Champion
    Power Fist; Combi-melta
    1 Rhino
    Havoc Launcher

8 Chaos Space Marines
    1 Aspiring Champion
    Power Fist; Combi-melta
    1 Rhino
    Havoc Launcher

Heavy Support: Predator 130 Pts
    Autocannon; Lascannon Sponsons

Total Roster Cost: 1000

Not much to say regarding the army, because I'm a complete noob and have never really seen chaos in action (the buddies that got me into 40k play assorted armies of IG and SMs), so all of this is cobbled from what I've read in the codex and other places.

Basically, I have the two marine squads go in and hit things until they die and, if absolutely necessary, tank hunt. The lord helps out with the assault or taking our vulnerable units in the back, the predator helps out with the tank hunting, and I'll drop the terminators wherever they seem to be needed most.

What I'm a little concerned about is that there really aren't that many bodies in this army, but again, I'm not exactly qualified to make that judgement at this point.

Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

HQ: Chaos Lord 165 Pts
    Daemon Weapon; Bike; Personal Icon
    Im not ever so keen on this choice. He seems to alone. He is expensive as well. Perhaps a deepstriking terminator lord would work well, combi plasma and daemon weapon? Or a Daemon prince with wings and warp time? This choice needs reconsidering.

Elite: Deepstriking Terminators 195 Pts
    5 Terminators
    Chain Fist (x1); Combi-plasma (x3); Heavy Flamer (x1); Chaos Glory
    It should be set up so the heavy flamer guy has the chainfist too. To free up points drop the one model without a combi weapon from this squad.

8 Chaos Space Marines
    1 Aspiring Champion
    Power Fist; Combi-melta
    1 Rhino
    Havoc Launcher

8 Chaos Space Marines
    1 Aspiring Champion
    Power Fist; Combi-melta
    1 Rhino
    Havoc Launcher
    Drop the havoc launcher and the combi melta, they arent worth it. Step the squads up to 10 strong, 1 squad should have dual plasma guns, the other dual meltas.

Heavy Support: Predator 130 Pts
    Autocannon; Lascannon Sponsons
    Solid choice. Tried and tested. Nice one.

In summary, Trim off the un needed items from the chaos marine squads and up them to 10 strong, one squad wielding two melta guns, the other, two plasma guns. Drop the 'naked' terminator to free up points for the troop choices. Re consider the battlefield role of the Lord, you have alot of points invested in there. If you have free points to spend once your lord is complete, re invest these in the terminator squad.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Nice list.

I agree with danjones87 about your HQ choice. Never send an independant character alone, he will die really fast.

I would take a Chaos Sorcerer instead, they come equipped with a Force Weapon and some nasty powers. Try Wind of Chaos, you'll love it. That or a Chaos Lord in power armor with a Daemon Weapon.

I personnaly like the havoc launcher because it's a Marine killer and because it gives something to do to your rhinos after it unloaded it's cargo. Regarding that I think it's a preference... try it and if you like it, keep it.

I also would drop the combi-melta on the champion and just take another meltagun in your CSM squads.

That's it, the rest look good to me, it's a solid 1000 pts list.
    hope it helps.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    I also would drop the combi-melta on the champion and just take another meltagun in your CSM squads.
    Remember that you need to be 10 strong to take a 2nd special weapon nowadays.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87 View Post
    Remember that you need to be 10 strong to take a 2nd special weapon nowadays.

Dan
    Oups, missed that one. So true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im agreeing with danjones and thyr, a character out on their own is a bad idea.

Instead of the terminators how about giving the lord a nice 5-6 man bike squad to back him up. Save the points on the marine squads as suggested above, you could almost afford all the trimmings. (2 meltas, champ with powerfist, marked as points allow.)
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the input, esp. about the commander.

I beefed up the marine squads and took out the combis on the ACs, switched one squad to carry two plasmas. I'm keeping the havocs, because they up the threat level of the rhinos to possibly deflect fire from other units (or they provide unmolested fire support, both of which is good).

As for the lord problem, I'm deciding between 3 options:

1. Downgrade him from a bike to jetpack, and put him in a squad of 6 raptors w/ 2 plasma rifles. The extra bodies of the raptors should make up for the bike's toughness and then some. This, of course, means forgoing the termies, which is somewhat regrettable.

2. Go for a terminator lord w/ daemon weapon+combi-plasma, and put him in a 4 man termie squad w/ 3 combi-plasmas, flamer and 2 chainfists. Have the entire squad deep strike. I'm really surprised that this option fits, esp. with the extra chainfist, but it makes for a pretty beefy command element.

3. The previous two options don't effect the rest of the list, but this does in a big way. Take a lord with nothing but daemon and icon, have him ride shotgun with one of the marine squads. If I remove the havoc launchers and cut the marine squads down to 8 men counting the AC w/ combi, I can actually cram another 130 point predator into the army. This could be the same anti-vehicle build as the other one, and going for an anti-infantry ac+HB sponson+havoc launcher would actually be cheaper. The terminators would still be the 4 man, 3-combi+flamer+1-chainfist combo, but at the cost of about 4 marines, 2 havoc launchers and some commander wargear, I get another tank. Not sure if this is a good tradeoff.

I like option 2 the best, but 3 is pretty tempting due to the two predators.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give the raptors meltas not plasmas... Plasmas are rapid fire meaning you cant charge afterwards. Meltas on the other hand are assault weapons and can charge.......
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Fade View Post
    Give the raptors meltas not plasmas... Plasmas are rapid fire meaning you cant charge afterwards. Meltas on the other hand are assault weapons and can charge.......
    I concour, the squad must also have a powerfist chmapion too.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

I agree with Dan, I would take a lord with jetpack and attach him to a raptor squad of 8 or 9 with melta's and asp champ with powerfist. This way here he cannot be targeted so easily.

Also I would say to take off the havoc launchers on the rhino....they are not needed and the points could be better spent on upgrades and upping the troop numbers.

+ Reply to Thread