2000 point Slanneshi Daemon Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I read the book a couple of days ago and I was thinking "How would I get past the horrible deployment rules?" Then it came to me: target oversaturation, and use of cover (man, this seems obvious". All Slanneshi units have fleet, so they can move the turn they DS. Their heroes can also get pavane of Slannesh to make enemy units dance in a direction of their choosing. They're also fairly cheap and have a lot of rending attacks each. So here's my idea:

HQ: 355

Masque: 100

HoS: 85
    Chariot, Pavane

Chariot, Pavane

Chariot, Pavane

Elites: 540

3x6 Fiends of Slannesh: 180 x 3

Troops: 840

6x 10 Daemonettes: 140

Fast Attack: 238

2x7 Seekers of Slannesh: 119 x 2

Total: 1973 points
    Models: 96
    Attacks: 349 rending attacks total
    Pavane of Slannesh: 6
    Wounds: 127

Ideally, if I were allowed I would put it all in one half and choose that half to DS. If I succeed, I'll probably have won-> Most armies just can't pump out enough shots to kill that many models, plus you can't instant kill anything in the army. I'm pretty sure the entire army is I6 or I7, too, and with everything having fleet and 8 units of cav/beasts (3 chariots, 2 units of seekers, 3 units of fiends).... I'm thinking this is probably going to be one of the more useful builds in the new book.

The seekers and maybe the heralds are the only things you may want to DS somewhere safe. The Fiends have SM toughness and as for daemonettes... Rending-wise, you only need 2 of them to be the equivalent of 3 stealers without the charge. The seekers, however, are as easy to kill as daemonettes, but are faster and have an extra attack, so they would be killed first if you give the foe a chance to kill them.

As for the chariots, the only reason you really want them alive is for Pavane. Also, you may want to leave them out since odds are it will take a couple of units worth of shooting to kill one, and that would leave your other units unscathed. I would consider them sacrificial units that are useful if they survive. I put them in chariots instead of in units because I want to give the opponent as many targets as possible, and this makes them significantly harder to kill. Otherwise the opponent is pretty much seeing a daemonette unit with two extra daemonettes and a special weapon they really don't like for a lot more points. Its just not worth it to put a super fragile unit in a super fragile unit for protection when I can buy a few extra wounds and some toughness for it really cheap, and force my opponent to shoot at an extra target to kill it.

I double checked the point costs. Now I have 27 points left to use (1 point short of 2 daemonettes).

Last edited by Phalanx; April 15th, 2008 at 21:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

I hate double posting, but does anyone have an opinion on the viability of this list?
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too hard.

Your saying a SAFH army cant kill the sub 40 t3 5+ save models you will be able to deploy first turn? I think it would be very very easy.

The problem is that you can only field 1/2 your army at a time, you field them in plate bait clumps and you will lose some of them to bad scatter rolls. Plus you have to spend an entire turn sitting around sucking fire before you can do anything.

The best 4th ed oriented army I have seen is 3 blood crusher units, 4 hearelds on blood crushers, 3 winged DPS and 2 squads of plauge barers with icons. Almost everything is 18" assault, and everything is T5 with either 3+/5+ invul, or 5+ invul and FNP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Your forgetting something- they can still fleet the turn they deepstrike. But only being able to bring in half the army sucks. I was hoping I could put all of the models in a single half.

Besides, no one says I have to deepstrike right in front of your guns. There should be cover I can DS behind, and I can fleet after a miss. Its not horribly unforgiving if you DS in a bad spot as you can fleet, and there's several cav or beast models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You DS behind cover (Cover does not block LOS in 5th ed by the way). I back up and shoot what I can.

turn 2 you move out to get me, because you where more than 9 inches away and on the other side of difficult terrain (behind cover right?) you can't assault me this turn either, so I either backup more and shoot you or move forward shoot you and assault you (depending on what I am running). With 5th ed nerfed rending shoota boys are point cost for point cose better in CC than daemonites.

Sub your army against a well run orc horde and you will see what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Its created using 4th ed rules (which will still be used for a month or two after the book comes out, right?), so the rumors (which is still what they are- there is still nothing that is 100% known to be correct) didn't affect the design. Also, there are several units that have beast or cavalry special rules. Also, in addition to cover, in 5th ed you can also hide units behind other units.

Besides, if you're talking about moving back and shooting, the same can be done against the army you mentioned. They may be tougher, but they're also quite a bit slower, especially since they lack fleet. Also, if the tactics you mentioned were so amazing, then why are stealers so good? You can do the same method to stop them, and while they do have +1 toughness and save, they are also nearly 33% more points than daemonettes.

As for vs orks, slanneshi daemons still get massive numbers of attacks- 3 min, with seekers getting 4 and fiends getting 5 s5 attacks. I can understand that most of the daemons will likely die, but even a single unit can get a large number of rending attacks if anything hits, and the fiends and seekers and I think heralds all have 18"+fleet charge range.

What is SAFH anyways? Space marine army from hell? I'm guessing something like 6 min-maxed tac units, max tornadoes, a 2x asscan termy squad, some predators, and an HQ or something?

+ Reply to Thread