Newbie needing some pointers (battleforce) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Newbie needing some pointers (battleforce)

Hiya all, ive been painting and semi-assembling my recently purchased Chaos battleforce.

as im hot off the press i have yet to play a single game, and have gotten to the point in assembly that i need to know if my choices are ok-ish or crud (so i wont have to break my models later switching stuff out)

Now, im scratching my head raw when i try to put together something playable from it, heres where you come in (i hope )

Heres what i have to work with (chaos battleforce):

15 Csm's
    8 berzerkers
    5 posessed
    1 Rhino

and i added an Hq that looked cool : Lucius the eternal.

Heres the makeup ive come up with, with the limited arsenal that came in the box:

9 CSM + 1 plasmagun , +1 heavy bolter , mark of chaos glory
    Asp.Champ. +power weapon, + combi plasma, + meltabombs

230 pts

Squad 2 (flankers/oddjobs):

4 csm's +1 flamer
    Asp.champ. + power weapon, + combi flamer, + meltabombs

125 pts

squad 3 :

7 khorne zerkers, +2 plasma pistols
    1 skull champ. + power weapon, + plasma pistol + meltabombs

248 pts.

squad 4:

4 possessed
    1 champ.

140 pts

Rhino

Extra armor, dozer blade, havoc launcher

70 pts.

HQ:

Lucius the eternal

xxx pts

=973 points of missguided noobness.

i took the power weapons because the powerfists kill the initiative iirc. that sounds bad to me

was thinking about putting the zerkers in the rhino together with lucius and just gun it after the other squads have probed a bit for weaknesses.

maybe later get a bloodthirster or keeper of secrets to summon in when the suicide squad's about to die.

Edit: the main opponent ill be facing in the beginning will probably be running tau, if that helps, ill probably join up the local club later though.

-Cheers

Last edited by arachnid; April 22nd, 2008 at 17:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm still kind of a nub to chaos, but I'll give ya some pointers that the others around here gave me.

1. Drop the heavy bolter from your first squad. While they are nice, you have to give up movement to use it, and our troops are way effective in CC do to uber grit. If you dont know what uber grit means, its simply a term pinned to the ability of us getting bolters, and bolt pistols/ close combat weapon at no extra cost. Anyways, I'd put a melta gun on your heavy bolter marine, or another plasma if your opponenent will let you "counts as"

2. Flamers are fun to use, but unless you are playing a horde army I would stick with plasma's for troop killing or take melta's for tank busting. I have no experience playing tau, but I'd be willing to bet that either of these 2 weapon options will give you more kills. Would also go combi-melta on your champ....or combi-plasma if you want to be risky.

3. The rhino would go well with your bezerkers. The quicker they get into CC the quicker there are dead enemies piling up. I might be off on numbers, but 8 zerkers is 32 attacks on the charge iirc, which can be devastating to a 10 man tau unit. While most people will tell you not to put PP's on them due to the overheat factor, they can be of good use softening up a unit before charging in. They are also decent for any AV 10/11 you might be in range with. I'd probably drop the one off tho skull champ tho, he is a little to exepensive and valuable to die because you rolled a 1 to hit.

4. If you are going to 1k pts....after dropping the PP off the skull champ you should have enough pts to give both your asp champs power fists. Might be a few over idk, I don't have my book with me. These can be great for any situation of walkers or battlesuits, or just killing stuff altogether.

Hope this helps a little bit!! Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well we'll target a 1000pt list. Its about all your going to get out of it, plus its a good lvl to start at. Ill give you some pointers along the way. But probabaly just by glancing over your list so far i can already tell you one thing about chaos space marines (or just 'marines' in general) Power fists...... power fists, power fists, power fists. They are key, they will save you, they are literally a key component in winning a game. People plan strategies and lists to find the most effective way to deliver a power fist. With that said, lets see what we can do. Mind you a battleforce is not nessesarily meant to be a army list IMO. Its more just to start a list, a core. Its a model bundel by GW to get you started. But thats not saying it can't be done.

9 CSM + 1 plasmagun , +1 heavy bolter , mark of chaos glory
    Asp.Champ. +power weapon, + combi plasma, + meltabombs

As already mentioned drop the heavy bolter. heavy weapons cost you your movement and are normally only taken with multiple ground pounder units switching off movement to make its way up the field. and of course, every unit that can possibly have one NEEDS a power fist. Drop this squad size to 8.

4 csm's +1 flamer
    Asp.champ. + power weapon, + combi flamer, + meltabombs

At a 1000pts you might be able to get away with this unit, though ideally marines/chaos magic number is 8. Squads of 8-9 marines is not too expensive and takes some attention to eliminate. Give the 2 marines from the bigger squad to this squad. definately give them a IoCG (icon of chaos glory) because the will be taking morale checks after only a few wounds. Drop the melta bombs and combi flamer. If you have the bits, give them a plasma gun instead of a flamer. And again, any unit should have a PF. Think about it like this. If you don't have a PF and a dreadnought charges in. They're dead with no way way to fight back. If you do, you can punch through ANYTHING in the game and insta kill alot of stuff.

7 khorne zerkers, +2 plasma pistols
    1 skull champ. + power weapon, + plasma pistol + meltabombs

These guys will be your bread and butter. They are vicious in CC. You just have to get them there first. Upgrade to a PF, drop the champs plasma pistol (you dont want to kill your PF yourself, it does happen) and drop the melta bombs. last, give them a rhino, you want them in CC asap.

4 possessed
    1 champ.

No real quarrels here, though i don't really use them, they don't fit my nurgle fluff. Someone else would be better off helping you with them. I'd run them close and/or right behind the rhino to keep them from getting shot.

Rhino
    Extra armor, dozer blade, havoc launcher

drop the dozer blade and havoc launcher (you can put it back on if you have the points in the end) Put the bezerkers in here.

Lucius the eternal

To give you a heads up, though i know LO will probably tell you, you can't post point costs for units without upgrades i.e. lucius, typhus, kharn.
    Cool model, and he does some wicked stuff. If he's all you got and/or just really want to use him, no worries. Though starting out, i would focus more on chaos glory and/or khorne. So a normal lord or a khorne lord would be awsome if you could get one.

If you still need to make up some room for points to get power fists, i would drop one of the 5 man squads, or possibly the rhino. This list really has no anti-tank, but that can be fixed over time. at a 1000pts you really shouldnt have a problem though. Any dreadnoughts you encounter can be easily dealt with by a PF. Well i hope this helps and any other quesions you have, just ask!
    Last edited by Emeraldguardx; April 22nd, 2008 at 07:45.
    Biel Tan Eldar 3-0-8
    Vanilla Marines 17-1-2
    Alaitoc Eldar 15-2-4
    Goff Orks 21-1-2
    Nurgle Chaos work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

thanks so much for the replies guys, a lot of useful stuff there!

i jotted it down as it was represented in armybuilder more or less.

good points about the powerfists, maybe the risk of getting the champ wiped out before he can hit with the fist is outweighed by the massive force he gains..

hmm, looks like im gonna have to chase after a bunch of bits thats missing,
    2 PF's ,an icon, and a bunch of guns..

oh, and magnets for the vehicles and icons.

im a bit sceptical about the possessed's performance in actual play, the demonkin randomness looks iffy, might range from quick beasts to craters waiting to happen. gonna enjoy painting them though.

Might replace them with a havoc squad later, or a dreadnought, points permitting.

another thing im definately getting when im feeling a bit more confident though is a defiler, they define chaos IMO.. would be nice to provide some cover for the advancing troops with.

about the 10-man rule thing, as far as i can tell from the books and armybuilder-demo the champs count towards getting a heavy?..

I loved the fluff and look of lucius so i grabbed him
    (im also a bit inclined towards slaanesh so he'll be of use in later armies as well)

o well, im off to order some bits and bobs :happy:
    Last edited by arachnid; April 22nd, 2008 at 17:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, the actual champ upgrade does not count towards the 10 models. Its just an upgrade for a basic csm you have already accounted for.
    Biel Tan Eldar 3-0-8
    Vanilla Marines 17-1-2
    Alaitoc Eldar 15-2-4
    Goff Orks 21-1-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

okay, a bit of an update then, revised list stands at 998 points.

Hq: Lucius

Heavy support: 1 obliterator

Elite: Dreadnought , plasmacannon 120pts

troops:

8 Khorne zerkers: +2 pps, personal icon , champ +Pf 243 pts

: rhino : + armor 50 pts

8 csm's , +plasmagun, Iocg, AC , + pf 185 pts

7 csm's , +melta, iocg, AC + pf 165 pts

i will mostly be facing light forces, no heavy tanks.

Dreadnought takes the field, hopefully clearing/breaking a flank to distract for the rhino.
    csm's try to draw fire from rhino/ perform some attrition.

zerkers + lucius (hopefully) made it to the front and starts their assault.

Obliterator deepstrikes in and pounds what little armored support is left after the dread behind the meatshields.

well, thats the plan anyway

id like to expand to 1500 in the near future by adding in another 2 obliterators, another dreadnought , a defiler and round up the csm squads to even numbers.

but, gonna hold off on any big purchases until 5th ed is out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty good. But I would drop the melta gun off the csm squad since they are walking. Take another plasma. To make up the points drop a PP from the bezerkers. Just be careful on DSing your oblit, as he is your only heavy support. I normally don't DS them, just walk them up. Yeah they are slow, but they do make it. And if they don't, theres obviously something else that did.
    Biel Tan Eldar 3-0-8
    Vanilla Marines 17-1-2
    Alaitoc Eldar 15-2-4
    Goff Orks 21-1-2

+ Reply to Thread