Lizardmen to 40k Chaos Daemons ≈2500 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Lizardmen to 40k Chaos Daemons ≈2500 pts

Hi!

I'm looking to start playing a Chaos Daemons army using... my old Lizardmen army from Warhammer Fantasy! (and some other minis). After pretty much being abandoned in a toolbox since more than 10 years, they're ready to hit the tables again (although, in a way I'm sure they never intended ;) ) And besides, I don't really have a budget to start from scratch :)

I'm planning to sticking to what the Lizardmen unit represent best in the Chaos Daemons codex, to avoid as much confusion as possible. Also I'll stick to gamings with friends (no tournaments and all that with this army).

After taking a headcount, that's what I have so far:

----
    HQ: 1 Slann MagePriest
    HQ: 1 Skink Shaman

Troops: 39 Saurus Warriors
    ... and 2 Saurus Warrior Champions, 2 Saurus Warriors Musicians and 1 Saurus Warrior Standard Bearer
    Troops: 32 Skinks with bow
    Troops: 12 Skinks with spear
    ... and 1 Skink Champion, 1 Skink Musician and 1 Skink Standard Bearer

Elite: 4 Kroxigors

Fast: 2 Skinks on Cold Ones

Heavy: 3 Salamanders

----
    Added to that, I have also:

4 Zoats
    1 Ambull

----

Now, my plan is this.... I would make the Slann Mage Priest a Great Unclean One :) Of course, being on a palanquin supported by 4 Saurus Temple Guard really makes him more like a Herald of Nurgle on a Palanquin of Nurgle (or at most like the Nurgle special character Epidemius), but since it's my only good HQ choice, I prefer it to be something bigger than a mere Herald! Well, I'm still on the fence about either choice (after all, I know a real Greater Daemon is way bigger than a Slann...hm) Maybe an Herald of Nurgle Would be the best WYSIWYG choice... but lacking any units of Plaguebearers or Nurglings to hide him in, what real use could I have of him?

The Saurus Warriors will be played as Bloodletters of Khorne (paint them red and they're good to go!) Based on the other daemon troop choice available and on the bloodletter's description (humanoids with bestial faces, elongated heads, long limbs...) they're a real close match. So okay, Hellblades are 2-handed weapons, and all my plastic Saurus are raising one-handed axes, kukris, scythes and spiked clubs but... let's just assume they were all made at the same forge as the swords and are as deadly (thankfully I never glued the shields on them so I can say they swing their weapons by 2 hands while in combat). My 2 Champions will be Heralds of Khorne. My 2 Musicians will be a bloodletter with the Instrument of Chaos gift. My Standard Bearer will be a bloodletter with the Chaos Icon gift. All in all, I have enough to either field 2 squads of 20 (and a bit more, with the gifted Sauruses) or... well anything in between :)

My skinks, now. Again, looking at the available troop choices from the daemon list, the simpler choice was to make them all Pink Horrors of Tzeentch. I could even say their bows and throwing spears represents their Warpfire! ;) I'm certain that after paint, they'll be even more visually identifiable as Tzeentch horrors. Again, I'll make the Champion as an Herald of Tzeentch, the Standard Bearer as the Chaos Icon bearer and the Musician as a Pink Horror with Instrument of Chaos. Lastly, I'll take the Skink Shaman and make it as the Changeling :D How cool is that? With a total of 44 Horrors, I can really field a lot of unit's size combination, as needed (and as I'll playtest them...)

The 4 Kroxigors poses somewhat a challenge. The option I'm taking is to make the Daemon Princes. Most likely either without marks or with the Mark of Khorne (since they look a lot like big versions of my "Saurus/Bloodletters" anyway). Of course, one of them will have to be benched everytime, but it's for the greater cause :)

Now the really hard part... With only 3 Salamanders and 2 Skink Riders on Cold Ones, there's not many possibilities. Cold Ones and Salamanders are really different. My idea was to make the Salamanders into Beasts of Nurgle and use one of the Cold Ones as an Herald of Slaanesh on Mount of Slaanesh. These old Cold Ones models are slim enough to do the job, compared to the newer GW model range. I would just need to find a model for an Herald of Slaanesh (as the Skink Rider is too similar to my "Skink/Horrors".) Then, all I have to do is to hide it in my unit of Fiends of Slaanesh, as he won't slow then since he'll count as cavalry!

As for my Ambull... another Daemon Prince? (He's as big as my Kroxigors, after all) He looks like a big long-limbed creature with chitinous skin, long mandibles and a double ridge going from their eyes to the middle of their back. I guess giving that one no mark, as a Daemon Prince, would be okay... unless I find him slightly Nurgle-ish enough to Mark him that way...

Finally, my Zoats will be perfect Fiends of Slaanesh. For the ones that have no idea what These are, Zoats are centaur-like creatures that have the lower body of a 4-legged reptile with 3-toed feet, and the upper torso of a very muscle-y humanoid toadman/lizardman.

(ADD: I also have plenty of swarm bases and (for now) Necron Scarabs to proxy Nurglings. Not ideal, that's why I didn't mention that before, but I do have both the newer and older miniatures of Necron Scarabs. And after seeing the price for real Nurgling swarms, I'm glad I at least have that alternative :) Maybe using the bigger, older ones and painting them green and converting them a bit.... or using some smaller, newer plastic ones would be better since they're more roundish? I guess it's an option if I want to playtest swarms at some point...)

----
    I haven't taken the time to calculate the points for that list, though, but here it is again, in his Chaos Daemon form:

HQ: 2 Heralds of Khorne
    HQ: 1 Herald of Tzeentch and 1 Herald of Slaanesh on Mount of Slaanesh

Troops: 14 Bloodletters of Khorne with Chaos Icon
    Troops: 14 Bloodletters of Khorne with Instrument of Chaos
    Troops: 14 Bloodletters of Khorne with Instrument of Chaos
    Troops: 15 Horrors of Tzeentch with Instrument of Chaos
    Troops: 15 Horrors of Tzeentch with Changeling
    Troops: 15 Horrors of Tzeentch with Chaos Icon

Elite: 4 Fiends of Slaanesh
    Elite: 2 Beasts of Nurgle
    Elite: 1 Beast of Nurgle

Heavy: 3 Daemon Princes (not sure yet about Marks, most likely 2 Khorne and 1 Nurgle)

-----

I didn't list the gifts on each unit as I'm not certain yet on what to use... and I may buy some units down the line, to round up that list and cover some weaknesses ;) (some Flamers of Tzeentch? a Soul Grinder? a Greater Daemon? ...others? )

So there is it :) Any comments or suggestions are welcome!! I have No idea if this list is even playable... but since that's the minis I have, it'll have to do for now! :D I intend to have fun with them, and it'll make a very nice break from my other 40k army, Necrons (as I'll get to play in a wholly different playstyle, and I'll get a nice bonus by fielding an army that no one in my playgroup has assembled or played against :) ) Oh and my main opponent plays Imperial Guard. So far, since I'm starting out and testing out this army, we've been playing low-points games (500 and 750 so far, but probably hitting 1000 and 1500 soon).

Last edited by Lode; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:28.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks good though if your going to want to use this list as effectively/competitively as you can then your going to need to give all of your Horror squads a BoT, and atleast 1 DP with MoT and BoT for antiHS. Though I do believe that list is legal.
    KHORNE, when life gives you lemons - Blood for the Blood GOD!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    looks good though if your going to want to use this list as effectively/competitively as you can then your going to need to give all of your Horror squads a BoT, and atleast 1 DP with MoT and BoT for antiHS. Though I do believe that list is legal.
    Yeah I'll definitely have to get some more anti-tanks attacks :) I'll work on a list with the gifts added; maybe it'll be easier to critique then ;)

Also, in a list like this (more so in these high-points games) is it prudent to not have a Greater Daemon in play? 4 Heralds looks like... hm.... kinda lacking some punch (or staying power), you know what I mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on your preference, 4 heralds can do the job just as well as a GD and sometimes save you points though the bonuses that the GDs get you are usually very helpful though GD's are going to cost more and since theres not 4 of them they are also going to hurt when/if your opponent finds some way to light it up. Also looking at your army either you should give all the heralds their juggernauts/discs/other carrying devise and on the HoT it would be nice to give him a BoT too, though if you really want your enemy to hate you use the points it would take to get fateweaver and send him with your horrors, with their 4+ save and then the fateweavers ability to have units reroll failed saves it can be very, very helpful. You could also just use one or two heralds as your HQ and then use the rest for elites or more Bloodletterers. It really depends on your preferance and how you want to use this army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    It depends on your preference, 4 heralds can do the job just as well as a GD and sometimes save you points though the bonuses that the GDs get you are usually very helpful though GD's are going to cost more and since theres not 4 of them they are also going to hurt when/if your opponent finds some way to light it up. Also looking at your army either you should give all the heralds their juggernauts/discs/other carrying devise and on the HoT it would be nice to give him a BoT too, though if you really want your enemy to hate you use the points it would take to get fateweaver and send him with your horrors, with their 4+ save and then the fateweavers ability to have units reroll failed saves it can be very, very helpful. You could also just use one or two heralds as your HQ and then use the rest for elites or more Bloodletterers. It really depends on your preferance and how you want to use this army.
    Thanks, that's some good advice! I'm a bit reticent to give my heralds their chariots, since that means they'll loose their IC status, and I wanted to be able to hide them in squads (HoT with Horrors, HoT with Bloodletters and HoS on Mount in the Fiends squad). Besides, for right now it's easier since I wouldn't have the chariots models to put them on anyway ;)

Fateweaver always sounds like a good idea, for sure! That would mean dropping 2 Heralds though... I guess the 2 more expendables Heralds are the Khorne ones. But again, since I don't have the model for Fateweaver, I'll have to buy and convert a Lord of Change... I'll see about that, I'll just hold off that idea for some time (as I didn't even playtested the 4 Heralds HQ yet :P )

In the same vein, that's all the models I own, in that army list :D So I couldn't even put more Bloodletters even if I wanted to :) All I have left to include is a Herald of Nurgle on Palanquin, and some Nurglings bases :) (...but right now my FOC is filled up).

Well, while I'm bringing up this Herald of Nurgle of mine... I pretty much resolved myself that my Slann Mage Priest was just a tad too small to represent a Great Unclean One. More so since he's on a Palanquin himself already! But, in Ku'gath's description, it mentions that he was originally a Nurgling that grew in size, and that he rides on a Palanquin. Now, since GW hasn't yet released a model for him, it seems more and more like a great idea to use my Slann as Ku'Gath! I'll have to try that out, when I'll play next.

Thanks for the input so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, well most of the suggestions I gave you were in case you wanted to battle with these guys, now in my opinion you might want to go find someone to battle and use bases for the guys you don't have because after that you can see what you like from the chaos daemons, they make the CD in a way that everyone can find their own strengths and weaknesses with them so you should probably find your forte before you begin to buy models in mass quantity.

+ Reply to Thread