suggestions for making an army for rogue trader tourny? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suggestions for making an army for rogue trader tourny?

I just found out there's a 40k rogue trader this sunday at local comics shop... I have been playing fantasy daemons so I dont have an army setup yet... I originally had thought about 2 GD + 3 DP but i dont have the models yet and it is bit late to get them... here's what I do have in my collection... I am not sure if i have enough (power-wise) to be attending the tourny:

1 BT
    3 fiends
    12 flamers
    20 horrors
    20 plaguebearers
    1 epidemius
    3 tzeentch heralds
    20 bloodletters
    10 seekers
    12 furies
    10 hounds

any suggestions on what kind of army i should make to be competitive? I am pretty sure I will need BT, some of the flamers, horrors,fiends and hounds. I am just not sure if i have the "punch" in the 40k arena... thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello shaselai,

How many points is the game? 1750, 1850 or 2000. That will dictate some of your builds. Also, I assume you have all the models based on square bases, 40k uses round bases, and that may be a problem. Ask your RT rep.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kb10r View Post
    Hello shaselai,

How many points is the game? 1750, 1850 or 2000. That will dictate some of your builds. Also, I assume you have all the models based on square bases, 40k uses round bases, and that may be a problem. Ask your RT rep.

Dave
    hey, it is 2k points. The rep said daemons are an "exception" for the bases because people will use them will fantasy and 40k and removing them all is a pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you are in for some pain. You have five strikes against you in this RT.
    1) it will be using 4th E rules, which aren't as nice to Demons as 5th.
    Deep Strike Death.
    No running after Deep Striking.
    "Defensive and Offensive Grenades" are undefined.
    Close combat against vehicles strike the facing armor.
    etc.
    2) it will be one of the last tourneys that people play with 4th E rules, which will bring out the "more competitive" lists. Belch.
    3) 2000 point lets people have a little too much fun in maximizing problem #2.
    4) you haven't played Demons and will be coming in a little blind against the Wisconsin Lists.
    5) Square bases have a little problem against blast and template weapons ( wider area to clip ) and other general clipping problems.

So, If I may, how about you go and just learn a little, have fun, and don't worry about it?

How about this list:

BT BothBG 255

3 Flamers 105
    3 Flamers 105
    4 Fiends 120

7 Plague Bearers w/ Icon and Musician 142
    8 Bloodletters 120
    8 Bloodletters 120
    9 Horrors with Changeling and BoT 173
    9 Horrors with BoT 163

5 Seekers 85 (?) Use them before the rending nerf
    5 Seekers 85 (?)

This leaves you with 385 points.
    You don't have any Heavy so... Are those Heralds on Chariots?
    100 points each for 2 Heralds on Chariots with BoT and how about 10 hounds to round out the list?

The flamers, Fiends and Seekers ( with good rending ), and the BT will help out with vehicles and the rest will do their jobs. Sounds fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Square bases should never be a problem, as the rules dictate they must be mounted on the base they are supplied with.

It's tricky to transplant Fantasy Daemons into 40k, so many things change. Troops are much more numerous, smaller, and cheaper, DPs are viable, Furies suck, and Soul Grinders.

Using the models you have, kb10r came up with a pretty solid list. I would also agree on adding in the Tzeentch Heralds (Bolt of Tzeentch, Master of Sorcery, We are Legion) for some extra firepower. Also, Hounds are very useful. While not as dominant as in Fantasy, their speed allows them to tie down enemy units until the slower choppy units come in and they are tougher and cheaper than Seekers.

If you're willing to cough up the dough, a pair of Soul Grinders would be great to take some heat off of your Bloodthirster. Alternatively, DPs work well too. Problem is, they're expensive and useless in Fantasy.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kb10r View Post
    So, If I may, how about you go and just learn a little, have fun, and don't worry about it?

How about this list:

BT BothBG 255

3 Flamers 105
    3 Flamers 105
    4 Fiends 120

8 Bloodletters 120
    8 Bloodletters 120
    9 Horrors with Changeling and BoT 173
    9 Horrors with BoT 163

5 Seekers 85 (?) Use them before the rending nerf
    5 Seekers 85 (?)

This leaves you with 385 points.
    You don't have any Heavy so... Are those Heralds on Chariots?
    100 points each for 2 Heralds on Chariots with BoT and how about 10 hounds to round out the list?

The flamers, Fiends and Seekers ( with good rending ), and the BT will help out with vehicles and the rest will do their jobs. Sounds fun!
    Here's what i came up with:

I hoped to have a 2 GD+ 3DP army but wont be able to get the models till after the tourny.. so here is my improvised list from what i got:

1 BT w/ blessing, DS, unholy might =295
    2 heralds of tzeentch w/ disc, master of sorc, bolt = 200

Rares:
    3 fiends(only have 3) = 90
    4 flamers X 2 = 280

special:
    10 furies = 150
    5 seekers w/inst. chaos X 2=180
    6 hounds w/fury of khorne = 100

troops:
    10 bloodletters = 160
    7 plaguebearers w/ icon X 2 =260
    5 horrors w/bolt X 3 = 285

total 2000

I decided on MSU for horror to maximize on Bolt of tzeentch to take care of tanks etc. since I have only BT to deal in hth. With my 2 heralds tzeentch bolts i have BT + 5bolts to go against monsters and other heavy stuff.

Here are some discrepancies:

1. I have only 3 fiends - should I replace them with 3 flamers instead or go with 3 fiends?

2. I looked at furies statline... they are not that bad are they? I mean 2 attacks each and they jump -that should take care of some infantry types?

3. i have 1 bloodletter unit to maximize my bolt of change or else I really dont know what i can use to get rid of monster type of creatures.

4. you suggested 3 flamers vs my 4. I think someone(maybe you) mentioned about 3 flamers because they are assumed to be dead next turn so putting 1 extra in there wont matter.

I could remove the furies to get more hounds or horrors i suppose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, i guess furies aren't that good... here are some more changes...

1 BT w/ blessing, DS, unholy might =295
    2 heralds of tzeentch w/ disc, master of sorc, bolt = 200

Rares:
    3 fiends(only have 3) = 90
    3 flamers X 2 = 210

special:
    5 seekers w/inst. chaos X 2=180
    5 hounds w/fury of khorne X 2= 170

troops:
    10 bloodletters = 160
    10 blood letters = 160
    7 plaguebearers w/ icon X 2 =260
    8 horrors w/bolt = 146
    7 horrors w/bot = 129

total 2000

I am really not sure how the lack of shooting/vehicle killing will get me but i guess I will take extra bloodletters and merge the horror units together... I could boost them even more if I take only 1 hound unit instead of 2 but not sure if that is a good idea? Should I replace the 3 fiends with 3 flamers instead?

Oh yeah, i read about the icons and seems some people say it is useless some say it is great - do i need it? If I dont i can do the following:

troops:
    10 bloodletters = 160
    10 blood letters = 160
    10 plaguebearers =150
    7 horrors w/bolt = 129
    7 horrors w/bot = 129
    6 horrors w/bolt = 112

And then give my tzeentch heralds We Are Legions. The plaguebearers seem as deadweight right now since they wont get to do much till very late in the game...
    Last edited by shaselai; June 25th, 2008 at 16:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

First problem, you only get 3 Fast Attack, so drop either some Hounds of Seekers (Hounds). If you can, up the squad size and take Karanak, move through cover makes them very useful.

And yes, Furies suck out of control.

Heralds need We Are Legion so they can split targets and nuke a different tank from their Horror buddies, or at least pop off a Bolt while using Gaze in support of Warpfire. Also, the Changeling is cheap and very useful for his cost.

Plaguebearers need icons to be useful, after that they are good for speed-bumping, objective grabbing, and not dying.

Death Strike isn't worth the points, a BS4 plasma pistol just won't cut it.

You're going to have to be very careful with that BT, as the only MC he'll be attracting a lot of firepower. Whatever he touches will die, so don't expose yourself unless you know you'll be safe.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread