1500pt Death Guard for Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Death Guard for Tournament

Well, it looks like it is time to gear up for my first tournament in 5th edition. The list I took to the league that I posted here worked out really well. Though, admittedly it was against an inexperienced player, so I didn't really have to go out of my way to win, and I was mostly helping him make decisions and teaching him a bit of the finesse of the game for most of it. But regardless, there is a tournament coming up this Saturday, and I have been honing my TAC list, worrying about Kill Points is a real pain in the ass but, I am going to gear more towards Objectives than I am Kill Points this time. So, here it is.

Daemon Prince "Epistaxis":
    Wings, MoN, Warptime

Summoned Greater Daemon

3x Obliterators

7x Plague Marines
    2x Plasma Guns
    Plague Champion w/Power Fist
    Rhino w/Combi-Flamer and Daemonic Possession

7x Plague Marines
    2x Melta Guns
    Plague Champion w/Power Fist
    Rhino w/Combi-Melta

7xPlague Marines
    2x Plasma Guns
    1 Plague Champion w/Power Fist

2x Bikers
    2x Melta Guns
    Biker Champion

1496 Total

Only 9 kill points, which should be decent in a 1500pt setting. But then again, there are only 3 Scoring units. One that will hang back and stand on an objective in my deployment zone, and two that will gun forwards with the DP and Bikers and push towards the enemy's objective. The Bikers are to Turbo Boost across the field and go to ground if they need to, they need to stay alive to get that Greater Daemon into play. Then the other two will drive around hunting tanks.

I am not too happy with the squad of Obliterators, I really want to break it into two squads of two, but then again, people in Hell want ice water, so I don't know if I am going to be able to squeeze another one in without making a big sacrifice somewhere else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

When

When I first looked over the list it seemed a little small. But the more I think about it you have some nasty units in there. You can't go wrong with the plague marines. The extra toughness and FnP makes them potentially as hard as nails.

The DP will also be a real pain as will the Daemon. Those guys can much through any heavy armour that your oppoenent brings to the table if your Ob's can't draw a bead on it. All in all this is a pretty potent list.

I can't immediately think of how I would take it down. Which is a good thing from your point of view really.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

If you dropped possession and the combi weapons from the rhinos you could put the third plague marine swuad into a rhino as well.

Alternatively buy an extra bike as you may need to take a casualty even when tuurbo boosting. Normally I hate bikes but your unit is the best use for chaos bikes I have seen so far.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I definitely considered that. But, I am waiting for my other two Rhinos to come in. And that would tack on an additional Kill Point that I don't really know if I can afford. And as it is now, those two Rhinos are a little more usefull, with the advent of kill points I find it hard to excuse putting a kill point on the field unless it can potentially get it's kill point back. And tacking on another bike to the squad would only soak up one or two wounds. What with wound allocation I have to hand out wounds by equipment. And I have a sergeant, and then two men with melta guns. So tacking on just a normal biker would only soak up so many wounds as I could only assign 1 out of every 4 wounds.

I am just boned if I have to send the Bikes to Ground and then don't roll for the Daemon to come in, heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the tournament was a success in my books. 18 people showed up and it lasted for 3 rounds. First round I was paired up against a horde Nid list. I think it was something like:

2 Full squads of Harmagaunts

2 Full squads of Gaunts

2 Zoanthropes

1 Flyrant

1 Sniper Fex

1 Broodlord with full Genestealer retinue.

1 Squad of Warriors.

It didn't look that good for me at the beginning, we were playing the old Seek and Destroy mission and then his first turn took 45 minutes of the alotted 2 hours. I was glad I had mobile units because I ended up just slamming the pedal to the metal and gunning right into the horde. My Oblits shot into the flyrant, because that was the biggest threat to me at the moment. They ended up causing two wounds, not bad. I laid bolter fire into the harmagaunts as I knew I was getting assaulted on his turn. Turned one of the squads into a squad of 8. No real threat anymore. On his turn his Broodlord Outflanked and walked right up to my oblits. He would assault them and basically take them out of the game. The Flyrant flew into a squad of plague marines, the small squad of harmagaunts jumped into my bikers, the gaunts shot at me, doing nothing, and basically all of my units were assaulted except for my daemon prince. I lost a couple of marines, but he lost quite a few more gaunts thanks to combat resolution and them being Fearless. On my turn, my Greater Daemon didn't come in, but I warped some time and flew my DP over towards the Sniperfex. Assault phase saw more of his gaunts pulled down, my oblits dropped to one wound on the last man. The DP sawed into the Sniperfex. His turn, his flyrant flew to the aid of his Sniperfex bringing my DP down to one wound I threw everything onto the Flyrant leaving it with 2 wounds, my bikers finished off the harmagaunts that were troubling them, the Broodlord finished off the Oblits and started his way into the middle. On my turn, the Greater Daemon burst out of my biker and lumbered off to help my Prince. Assaults see me killing the Flyrant and the Sniper fex, my Greater Daemon lumbers south to intercept the broodlord and my Prince takes up the relatively safe job of mopping up Zoanthropes. I cleaned up the gaunts that were still clinging to the plague marines. His turn sees him charging my Greater Daemon with the broodlord and the three remaining genestealers, and the remainder of his army taking aim at the DP barely killing it while the two remaining plague marine squads go ignored. On my turn I kill the genestealers, a Zoanthrope, and the warriors, then we roll to see if the game ends, which it does. We went ahead and rolled to see if the Broodlord could take out the Greater Daemon, which he would have barely managed. Probably a good thing the game ended when it did. I managed to squeeze out a decent win.

My second game looked just awful for me. I was up against Imperial Fists with three Venerable Dreads, 6 Tac squads all with lascannons and plasmaguns. And a chaplain led assault squad. It was the fifth ed Capture and Control, he put his objective up on a hill guarded by three tac squads, I hide mine behind a tall hill, where my plague marines will be out of sight from the long ranged weaponry. It was rough from the very beginning, I went second again and my Obliterators were shot all to hell by the tacs and both my rhinos immobilized themselves as soon as they touch terrain. And I am forced to walk. On his next turn my DP is taken out by the tac squad and my bikers are assaulted by the assault squad, taking them out thanks to powerfists. From here on it is just bad for me. My Daemon Prince takes out a Tac Squad, I take out the Chaplain and Assault Marines with a squad of plague marines, but that squad is killed down to the sergeant. I destroy one of the Dreads, then tie one up in combat forever (Hooray Krak Grenades shaking them!) the other dread makes it into the squad that was hiding on my objective. Where he is contesting my objective. I manage to get the game to go to turn 7 where I finally destroy it. Leaving me with four models on the field and him with 4 Tac Squads and another Dread...I totally didn't deserve that draw, but I'll take it!

And then my last game is against my best matchup (in my opinion at least), Thousand Sons and my best mission Seize Ground. He has a squad of CSM with the Icon of Tzeentch, a Defiler, a Predator loaded with Lascannons, one obliterator, two squads of Thousand Sons, a lord with a Daemon Weapon, and a DP with Bolt of Change and Warptime. I seize the initiative from him and my obliterators shatter his Predator, my Rhino immobilizes itself, and the others rush forward, the walking squad stands on an objective and a squad of plague marines belch plasma shots into some Thousand sons while the other runs towards another objective. On his turn, his Defiler skitters forward and fleets into assault range with my bikers, the thousand sons return fire, dropping a handful of Plague Marines, his DP warps time and leaps into the running squad of plague marines, and the lone oblit kills one of mine with a well placed lascannon. The DP assaults the squad, crushing 3 of them and recieving a wound from the Power Fist. The Defiler kills all but the Sergeant. And on my turn I warp time and then the gods shine upon me as the biker sergeant sacrifices himself to put a Greater Daemon right in the face of the Defiler. My DP assaults his DP and with the help of the nearby sergeant, they take down his Prince only sufferring two wounds on Epistaxis. The rest of the game is just mop up, my Greater Daemon and Prince just walk through what is left, though I avoid sending my Greater Daemon into the Thousand Sons until the very end, lest he be sent back to the warp via a Force Weapon. I end up tabling the poor guy, luck was heavily on my side in that battle.

All in all, it was a great day, and with my winnings I picked up a Vindicator which is sitting beside me, waiting for its Green Stuff to dry. I also won the award for best model, which was my Greater Daemon. I am waiting for Dr. Paris to bring his camera over, and then I will get some pictures taken of my army as well as my Plague Tower. Thanks for the help, I am going to be taking this list (Minus two obliterators with the Vindicator in their place) to a tournament at the end of the month.

+ Reply to Thread