1500 Alpha Legion List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Alpha Legion List

Alright I started reading Legion and got inspired to go finish my AL army I started putting together just before the new codex came out. It was all infantry, lots of cultists, everything infiltrated. But I looked at what I had and the new codex and I think I figured out how to do this so it's still works and keeps my AL theme. My cultists models are actually converted Empire Militia with CCW and pistols, but I have 20 of them all done and painted.

So here is what I came up with for a 1500 pt list based on models I have. I do need to get one box of CSM to complete it, but otherwise I already have these models, and about 1/3 are painted.

HQ:
    Lord with BP, PW, personal icon, meltabombs

Troops:
    10 CSM. x1 champion w/ BP/PF, x1 flamer, x1 meltagun(lord would join this unit to run up into combat)

8 CSM. x1 champion w/ BP/PF, x1 meltagun, Icon of Glory

10 CSM. x1 champion w/ BP/PW, x1 plasmagun, x1 lascannon, icon of glorry

8 lesser demons (these are my cultist models playing as hidden insurgents)

8 lesser demons

Heavy:
    8 Havocs. x4 autocannons

8 Havocs. x4 heavy bolters

2 oblits

Last edited by Gman; August 14th, 2008 at 20:40.
    Age is a state of mind, and since I have no mind, I don't age.
    Check out my painting blog at http://gmansminipainting.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x9 CSM. x1 champion w/ BP/PF, x1 flamer, x1 meltagun(lord would join this unit to run up into combat)
    x9 CSM. x1 champion w/ BP/PW, x1 plasmagun, x1 lascannon, icon of glorry
    You gotta run them 10 strong to get the second special weapon.

x4 Havocs. x4 autocannons

x4 Havocs. x4 heavy bolters
    You gotta run these at least 5 strong.

Please, check that all of your units are legal before submitting a list, Thank You.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I posted my units showing the different "additional" models. i.e. x4 havocs PLUS x4 more havocs with heavy bolters for a total of 8 models. The CSM units are x9 marines PLUS x1 chamption for a total 10 models.

I never know how people want it posted. I have done it the other way before ' x10 marines. x1 champion etc' for a total of 10 marines, and 'x8 havocs. x4 autocannons' for a total of 8 models. But people got confused and didn't understand what I had there.

Which is the majority way of posting it here on LO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about:

9 Marines
    1 AC
    Wargear

8 Havocs
    Wargear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so I've modified the list description so it's hopefully more clear. Any comments on it's playability, balance, strengths, weaknesses? I have not really played any of my chaos stuff since the new codex came out, and I'm looking forward to start playing this list.

Ota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Hi

More anti tank. Definetely only 2-3 lascannons is very low for 5thED tanks in 1.5k games.
    Your lascannon in 10CSMs will rarely shoot (or it will block your movement) and so it may be waste of points. Use 2 special weapons instead.
    HBs and ACs are good against troops and light vehicles. But you will have a lot of trouble destroying tanks.

I will switch autocannons to missile launchers or switch Havocs with HBs to more oblits. ... Go for oblits or both changes
    Last edited by Ota; August 15th, 2008 at 23:49.
    Ota

English?
    ... try Czech language ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest an Icon for that last unit od CSMs or to stick your lord in a different unit. Remember, he looses fearless when he joins a unit without it and he counts as part of the unit for combat resolution, so a bad day could get him run down without your oponnent even having to fight him.
    "Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I'm perplexed on how to use the lord. They kind of made it lame having them join a unit, but you pretty much have to now since they are no longer protected from being shot at. I didn't have the points for an icon so I gave him an icon to use. I think his unit needs to be bigger though, to help resist running from casualties and loosing combat.

What do you think if I get another lascannon model, and swap two autocannons out for lascannons? I know they are very different weapons, but most targets can be hurt by both. Then make the CSM that had the lascannon, just have two plasmaguns.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Gman, it's a good start. However, your army could use a few more tweaks.

HQ: The good thing is that he's cheap. The bad thing is that he's a little too cheap for where he needs to be in order to remain effective. First, give him flight or a jump pack. This will allow him to adjust to enemy movement. Second, rather than a generic power weapon, why not dual lightning claws? This will really boost his c.c. finesse, especially against stubborn toughness models like bikes and even monstrous creatures- heaven forbid.

Troops: General rule of thumb- don't mix special or heavy weapons. Give your troops either 2 meltas or 2 plasmas. Both are solid options for your build. Next, in 5th edition, the bolt pistol no longer grants an additional attack for the power fist, but only the basic power weapon. Statistically, the fist is still the way to go, as it will on average produce more MEQ kills than the power weapon with the extra bolt pistol attack. Continuing, as others have kind of mentioned, the way you have your troops configured, it's much better to increase all of your squad counts to 10 marines. Having that additional special weapon is vital. Plus, you're footslogging your spearhead, so you could use the additional wounds to soak up incoming enemy fire.

Lesser Daemons: Fine.

Havocs: Don't equip them with las-canons. They're just too darn expensive for havocs. Either take more oblits or, as I'm going to suggest, follow Ota's advice and switch the autocannons to missile launchers. I'd take it one step further and also switch your heavy bolters to missile launchers. This will greatly improve your game against vehicle-oriented builds. As well, you have sufficient anti-horde shooting power in your troops, not to mention that the missile launcher is also a pretty good swarm killer.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Two more things.

1) Havocs should nearly always have one additional wound for each heavy weapon. The one exception is with heavy bolters, which can usually get away with having one less wound (since they're aren't usually a main target for your enemy).

2) Without any vehicles, just bear in mind that your oblits now become the primary target for enemy tank busters. With so many las canons floating about, oblits without the protection of vehicles to soak up fire die relatively quickly.
    Last edited by Rabbit; August 15th, 2008 at 20:42.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Alpha Legion operate far from the eye of terror, inside the Imperium. Therefore they don´t have so much daemonic possessions, summoned daemons and the like.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread