[1750] Tournament Fluffy Word Bearers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

[1750] Tournament Fluffy Word Bearers

So... this isn't a very traditional list. I want to try out taking no vehicles, which is something I have never done. I took everything in eights, as there are eight points in the chaos star. So here goes. C&C appreciated. Please tell me what you think weaknesses will be.

Dark Apostle (Lord)
    -Daemon Weapon
    -Jump Pack
    -Melta Bombs

Honor Guard x8 (Chosen)
    -Melta x3
    -Flamer x2
    -IoCG

Word Bearers x8 (CSM)
    -AC w/ PF
    -Melta x1
    -IoCG

Word Bearers x8 (CSM)
    -AC w/ PF
    -Melta x1
    -IoCG

Word Bearers x8 (CSM)
    -AC w/ PF
    -Melta x1
    -IoCG

Word Bearers x8 (CSM)
    -AC w/ PF
    -Melta x1
    -IoCG

Cultists x8 (Lesser Daemons)

Cultists x8 (Lesser Daemons)

Zealots x8 (Raptors)
    -AC w/ 2LC
    -Melta x2
    -Melta Bombs
    -IoCG

Zealots x8 (Raptors)
    -AC w/ 2LC
    -Melta x2
    -Melta Bombs
    -IoCG

The total points: 1747
    With 73 models.

Air Calv Guard: 3 - 2 - 1
    Word Bearers: 23 - 9 - 4
    (WDL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Smashin', someone who remembers that word bearers/Iron warriors/alpha legion/nightlords should't take Icons other than IoCG.

Would dropping a member of one raptor unit spoil the 8 flavour as the lord joining this unit still makes 9x8.

Lord: Good

Elites: Plenty of special weapons but because of their close range and the infiltrating rules you may want to put a champ with PF in here instead of one of the troop choices.

Troops: OK squads. Making some of them into plasma armed would be nice for rappid fire goodness, hence dropping a raptor for a few spare points. Daemons are good and you just have to have some in a Word Bearer force.

Fast: Brilliant.

Another option for the army would be to swap 8 troops and 8 chosen for a unit of 8 terminators making the army 8x8. Giving all the terminators combi plasma/melta/flamers would more than make up for the loss in firepower and you get planty of power weapon termies to add a killer combat unit to the army.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; September 5th, 2008 at 10:39.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran Word Bearers before the new codex, and I played with them a lot. Your list is very identical to what I used so I think I can assure you of exactly the kind of problems the list will face. The first thing you (and your opponent) will notice is that they are surprisingly more versatile than a first glance would assume. And now I am going to be completely anti-climactic and say Mad Cat has most of it right. Let me review:

Elites: You are damned sure those chosen are going to be getting into a lot of melee. Get a champ in there and give 'em a power weapon of some sort. I just came from a thread discussing Chosen and you will see in there the reasons for this. You need these chosen to give your opponent a headache until your troops make it across the battlefield.

Troops: I found it worked very well to equip some squads with plasma and some with flamers. Now, since you do not have as much tank busting other than your meltas, they are very precious, but I do think you will want at least one squad with a plasma gun. Just be a smidgen more strategic in your placement and movement and you will get even more performance out of the squads.
    "L'adace, l'adace, toujours ladace"
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Don't give the enemy a moment to consider how badly they are being beaten.
    Never build defenses; let the enemy die in theirs.

"Audacity, audacity, always audacity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thanks, both of you, for your comments.

I tried out the list with some modification based on suggestion. I choose not to run with terminators just yet. I have the models, but was trying to get the most bodies on the ground I could taking two units of raptors as my only minimum.

It performed magnificently. While I was worried about getting the Troops up the table, it didn't matter much, as the chosen, raptors, and lord got into combat quickly enough to keep the guardsman at bay. Then it was just a reinforcement wave. It seems this list will be especially effective against armies of low save, shooters. I don't know about high toughness, or assault armies.

I do have one question about chosen, I used to run them as 8, with 3 plasma and 2 flamers, no mark.

They would basically act as a distraction, and usually take a crap ton of fire and die or come close to dying in the first round. Especially if I lost first turn. That's why I decided to drop down to meltas (as well as to keep the ability to assault, preventing the choice of 'do i shoot and sit in the open or assault') and keep their points down not taking a champion with special weapons.

The problem I'm having, is that if they are a sacrificial unit, or risk becoming one, are they worth dumping points into?
    Last edited by double.bind; September 5th, 2008 at 20:35.
    Air Calv Guard: 3 - 2 - 1
    Word Bearers: 23 - 9 - 4
    (WDL)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by double.bind View Post
    I do have one question about chosen, I used to run them as 8, with 3 plasma and 2 flamers, no mark.

They would basically act as a distraction, and usually take a crap ton of fire and die or come close to dying in the first round. Especially if I lost first turn. That's why I decided to drop down to meltas (as well as to keep the ability to assault, preventing the choice of 'do i shoot and sit in the open or assault') and keep their points down not taking a champion with special weapons.

The problem I'm having, is that if they are a sacrificial unit, or risk becoming one, are they worth dumping points into?
    1) My rule of thumb for a distraction unit is to have one assault/heavy weapon for every vanilla soldier, i.e. 8 soldiers=4 special weapons. Of course this changes every once in a while, but I find it's a good rule for not dumping too many points into it.

2) Unless there is something I am missing, you should never mix assault special weapons with rapid fire special weapons, especially if they are just going to be distracting the enemy. Switch those flamers for plasmas, or switch the plasmas for flamers (if you are going to be charging the enemy). My suggestion: Take out the two flamers and replace 'em with one plasma and one IoCG. With that icon in place not only are you making them even more dangerous to the enemy (demon summoning on your flank, anyone?) but if your opponent does choose to focus on them, then they are damn near guaranteed not to fall back until the last man is down.

3) I think you will have to find out yourself just how many points is too much. You should try out different sizes and get-ups until you find yourself being able to predict which armies will want them dead soon. From there you can set them to be most effective against the armies which are giving you problems.

I personally run a squad of 6 with three plasma guns, IoCG, and a plain champ (for the greater demon). I've got a decent amount of Deathwing and other termis to deal with, so I need those plasmas, but other than that I face a lot of swarms so I can't place too much into those guns.
    "L'adace, l'adace, toujours ladace"

Don't give the enemy a moment to consider how badly they are being beaten.
    Never build defenses; let the enemy die in theirs.

"Audacity, audacity, always audacity"

+ Reply to Thread