1750 Newbie Starter List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Newbie Starter List

I played quite a bit of 3e 40k and very little 4e, then took a very long break. I sold all of my CC tyranid stuff last time I quit so I'm starting over with Chaos, which is my first MEQ army. I've got the CSM Battleforce, Renegade Strike Force, and the 15 termie box in the mail. I won't be playing in any tournaments in the near future. My friends are pretty reasonable about proxying models, etc. but for the most part I'll want to keep my list to models I own (the lone exception here is that I'll be using the basic CSM as plague marines and adjusting the paint scheme accordingly). I'm playing Black Legion so fluff shouldn't get in the way of an effective build. I know this is a straight-forward (read "generic") build but I want a balanced all comers list.

Plague Marines x 9 (305 points):
    Meltagun x 2
    Champion with Personal Icon, Combi-Melta, Power Fist

Meltagun x 2

Meltagun x 2

Terminators x 4 (150 points):
    Combi-Melta x 3
    Heavy Flamer
    Power Fist

Terminators x 4 (190 points):
    Pair o' Lightning Claws x 3
    Power Fist
    Icon of Khorne

Chaos Lord (160 points):
    Terminator Armor
    Combi-Melta
    Blood Feeder
    Mark of Khorne

Defiler (150 points)

Vindicator (160 points)
    Daemonic Possession
    Havoc Launcher

41 models
    1725 points

The assault termies are a retinue for the Chaos Lord. I have 25 points left over to play with: The main thing I'm questioning is the icons I picked for the Lord and his retinue. Khorne seems wasteful given the insane amount of attacks the Lord is already going to have but I can't decide what to change it to. On the retinue it's tougher: Two lightning claws and Khorne makes for a ridiculous number of attacks. Or it might it be smarter to rethink dual lightning claws on the retinue since they can't assault on the turn they deepstrike?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay the current issues i can see in your list is mainly mobility. I've never found deepstriking termies to be that effective, especially if they're combat oriented, as in the turn they DS they can't move, so my opponents focus them down to prevent those very nasty units from actually making it into their lines. And because the rest of your footslogging troops will only be moving 6" they can generally afford to spend a turn to deal with the termies. Against armies like tau you'll most likely just be outmaneuvered.

The other thing is, you might want to give one of the plague marine teams flamers instead of melta's, you've got a lot of anti-tank weaponry but if you loose the defiler and the vindicator, then horde armies will most likely just swarm you down.

I'm at work now so i don't really have time to go through your list and add/subtract things but you might want to see your way around to fitting in a rhino or two, or possibly a landraider, though that is quite points heavy.

I've been playing tau lately though so i could be wrong. But just my thoughts on the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I realized the retinue was off after I posted. What if I change the retinue to this? It makes them useful if I do deepstrike them while still making them pretty bad arse in CC.

Termies x 4 (210 points)
    Combi-Melta x 3
    Heavy Flamer
    1 Lightning Claw per model x 3
    Power Fist x1
    Icon of Khorne

I considered a Land Raider but I'd have to drop the other squad of termies and one of the Heavy vehicles and I'm not convinced that'd be a good trade off.

My original list had 3 squads of CSMs in Rhinos with the same layout as above instead of Plague but the little green dudes are so evil and delicious I couldn't pass them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks a bit better, that way, dependant on the dice gods, you might well be able to take out some heavy armour or put some rounds through a nearbye squad the turn you land. And then next turn get into some combat.

Another idea is maybe even to drop a unit of the marines or free up some points somewhere and either get a few oblits or some havocs or something. The issue being that the majority of your anti-tank seems to be melta-weaponry, so unless your DS'ing termies can deal with that, a mobile fire army, such as most tau for example with devilfish hopping firewarriors, will simply bounce both their troops and the vehicle itself out of your way.

So maybe dropping the melta's on one squad as well as making them normal marines, dropping the champions upgrades and give them a missile launcher or lascannon or something for one squad would give you some long-ranged anti armour weaponry. Of course i'm assuming you're not giving your defiler the twin-linked lascannon upgrade because you'd primarily be using his battlecannon to take out troops.

So all in all i think it looks good but the issue is mobility both on your side and the enemies. I don't have my codex on me so i can't really help with point values,

+ Reply to Thread