1st 1500pt CSM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st 1500pt CSM

Kes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st 1500pt CSM

Hiya, I've just signed up for a friendly (I hope) 40k tourney at my local club.
    I've never put together an army list before, but I liked the look of CSM and started collecting some. Using my current models, I can make this:

HQ
    Daemon Prince: 205
    - Wings
    - Mark of Tzeentch
    - Warptime
    - Wind of Chaos

Elite
    5 Terminators: 230
    - Power Fist (x2)
    - Power Weapon (x3)
    - Combi-flamer (x2)
    - Combi-melta (x2)
    - Reaper Autocannon (x1)
    - Icon of Slaanesh

Troops
    9 Chaos Space Marines: 255
    - Meltagun (x2)
    - Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    Rhino

9 Chaos Space Marines: 245
    - Flamer (x2)
    - Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    Rhino

6 Plague Marines: 261
    - Plasmagun (x2)
    - Personal Icon
    1 Plague Champion
    - Power Weapon
    Rhino

Heavy Support
    Vindicator: 145
    - Daemonic Possession

2 Obliterators: 150

Any comments/criticisms are definitely welcome, I need any help I can get

Can you bear in mind that I've got (nearly) all these - I'm missing 1 Rhino and 1 Obliterator and just after Xmas there won't be a lot of cash floating about. You never know though, I might get something to spend

Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, cash flow and models aside, I'll attempt to stick to your availables. I too have difficulty deviating from what I have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Hiya, I've just signed up for a friendly (I hope) 40k tourney at my local club.
    I've never put together an army list before, but I liked the look of CSM and started collecting some. Using my current models, I can make this:

HQ
    Daemon Prince: 205
    - Wings
    - Mark of Tzeentch
    - Warptime
    - Wind of Chaos

I would switch to MoS and pick the power LOS. It allows you to slide your opponents units around the board. Get the CCers away from you, drag the shooties into CC range.

Elite
    5 Terminators: 230
    - Power Fist (x2)
    - Power Weapon (x3)
    - Combi-flamer (x2)
    - Combi-melta (x2)
    - Reaper Autocannon (x1)
    - Icon of Slaanesh

All I can say is Karmoon Special. 4 termies, 3 Combi-Plasma 1 Hvy Flamer and Power Fist. 150 points. Great unit.

Troops
    9 Chaos Space Marines: 255
    - Meltagun (x2)
    - Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    Rhino

Beautiful.

9 Chaos Space Marines: 245
    - Flamer (x2)
    - Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    Rhino

You can keep them, but I'd also take the Meltas here. Other than that, this is good too for handling mob armies.

6 Plague Marines: 261
    - Plasmagun (x2)
    - Personal Icon
    1 Plague Champion
    - Power Weapon
    Rhino

I'd squeeze out those 5 points and drop the Icon, your IoCG should work on your other two units.

Heavy Support
    Vindicator: 145
    - Daemonic Possession

2 Obliterators: 150

The Vindicator is nice. I'd try getting a Defiler with 4 CCW at 150. It's nice. And with the other points you save on the above changes, and dropping 1 Obliterator, you have 210 points which will pay for the Defiler and will allow for 2 more plague marines.

Any comments/criticisms are definitely welcome, I need any help I can get

Can you bear in mind that I've got (nearly) all these - I'm missing 1 Rhino and 1 Obliterator and just after Xmas there won't be a lot of cash floating about. You never know though, I might get something to spend

Thanks in advance,

Kes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cerrik, thanks for looking and the comments - I see what you mean, but it would mean getting hold of a Defiler (without the finance controller noticing ).

I was thinking of taking Tzeentch etc on the Daemon Prince just for 'something different' tbh, most of the club have experienced the lash so I was hoping to catch them out.

I really like the Karmoon special terminator 4 man - sounds much better than my Autocannon/mixed group.

Messing about with the costs - swapping the prince to lash, Karmoon Termies etc, if I dropped 1 Rhino, I could get the Defiler with 2 Obliterators - I was going to keep these for a deep-strike anti tank unit. Is this a good idea, it would mean reducing one squad to foot slogging, but in some scenarios this wouldn't matter would it?

Thanks again for the comments - just what I was hoping to get here, and plenty to think about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Your Chaos Space Marine units need an extra guy. I believe you cannot take the extra special weapon with a 9 man unit. You need at least 10.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil_82683 View Post
    Your Chaos Space Marine units need an extra guy. I believe you cannot take the extra special weapon with a 9 man unit. You need at least 10.
    It appears to be 9 man, discluding the champion, meaning 10 total (Thats what I am assuming by the points costs). But good catch nonetheless.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep ya rhino think of it as mobile cover, and i dont think you need obliterators as anti, dont get me wrong they are an awesome unit, but for a truly anti tank unit, I love a small unit of chosen with melta guns pop them next to a tank at the start of the game if your going first, and bam, openent will be most likely a bit concerned with a unit that has pop one of there tanks, leaving you free to move up to CC

alternatively... and a bit more pricey, havoc lascannon squad. 4 lascannons are going to take out something big and nasty in short order

Pros:
    more units than obliterators to spread the wounds around#
    dont have to wait for deepstrike
    more shots fired = more chance of taking something out
    they tend not to stand out too much, making them less likely to be attacked until its too late

Cons:
    worse save than obliterators
    have a tendency to remain static the game (havocs)
    templates are bad, very very bad for both groups

there is my 2 cents anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, NP. I'm just glad I've gotten some of this good advice to share around. I'm current;y in the process of ripping troops apart to give them the correct weapons and build outs. Been playing freindly for the most part and have liked the changesd I've made so much so that I sat down and wrote out my entire army up to 3000pts.

As for the lash, I understand that you are trying to be different. Tis no problem.

Yes, gotta give props to Karmoon for a great squad. And they also work with Meltas in place of the plasma. In fact, I have 2 Karmoons, 1 Plas, 1 Melta.

Not sure how the Oblits would work, I've never used them before. Of course, I wouldn't subject any of your troops to footslogging unless you were gonna do it to the whole army. I was once told that you need lots of armor or none at all. 1-2 tanks/rhinos make juicy targets for lascannons, were as with alot, they don't know what to shoot first. With no armor, all they can Las away is 1 troop at a time.

Kes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sundevil - I couldn't make up my mind how to write up the squad, 9+1 champ or 10 (including 1 champ), but yes - I need 10 to allow me 2 hvy weapons.

zham - small unit of chosen - 5? I'll have to read up on them - can they infiltrate?
    (Forgive my ignorance - are there Chosen models? On GW I can't see any - but I may be missing them).
    I like Havocs, but yeah, left them out because of the static firing.

Cerrik - I've watched one bloke here play his CSM with obliterators, albeit @ 2000pts, and they seemed very versatile, if a mite expensive.

I'm happy to consider all options - this tourney will, I think, mean me fighting 5 or 6 in the first round - I know there are Tau, CSM, SM (of different flavours), Ork Horde, Tyranid & IG armies, so I could come up against anything.

Thanks all for the advice - time for another army list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Generally on LO we write 10, and then put the champ down (As an upgrade for a marine, rather than a seperate model).
    There are no official chosen models, just use normal marines with some way of distinguishing them (Slightly different paintscheme, some posessed pieces, etc).
    Obliterators are astoundingly good. They can do near anything at a range. They aren't hugely expensive points wise, though in money terms they are getting there.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75pts for something that might show up too late? as seems to be the case when i play them, might just be my bad luck though

and yes chosen have infiltrate and what riptor said about them models. people just use the standard CSM, i tend to add medals to mine... tis more to do with my fluff, that they were elite of the elite before they fell to chaos. but yeah, markings or other some such.

yeah the lascannon squad isnt very versatile, especially against horde armys. but they tend to rip a whole through most others. they should do, for there point cost. 215, tends to be a bit on the ouch side of things

+ Reply to Thread