1500 points of pain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

1500 points of pain

Thanks to the advice given to me in the CSMmain board I've come up with something that might be atleast slightly competative yet offers great chances for me to build the models I've longed for

HQ
    DP
    mark of Nurgle
    Wings

Troops
    10 Khorne Berzerkers
    Champ with Power Fist

7 Plauge Marines
    2 Meltas
    Champ with Fist
    Rhino

7 Plauge Marines
    2 Meltas
    Champ with Fist
    Rhino

6 Plauge MArines
    2 plasmas

HS
    Landraider

Defiler

I'm in quite a rush at the moment, so points will come later.
    Any general or specific comments are highly appriciated.

Oh, and merry Christmas!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The zerkers are kinda out of place, you can drop them and use the points to outfit the 6 man plague squad with a rhino, champ and powerfist. The leftover points can get you another defiler. If you want to keep the zerkers they at least need a rhino and you may want to go to a power weapon and meltabombs, same capabilities but you keep your initiative. Also the prince could use warptime; its cheap and very useful in almost any situation.

Just some suggestions, hope it helps
    Last edited by gunney; December 25th, 2008 at 22:08.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Thanks Gunney,
    I thought I'd put the Berzerkers in the LandRaider, drive them up and support them with one or two of the Rhino squads.
    I might swap the Skull Champ's fist for the PowerWeapon and MeltaBomb as you suggested, I forgot about the added strength he get's from chargin.
    It would be nice too, to use something but a fist on a Champ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use the LR as a taxi, it loses 2 turns as a tank. The zerkers can use a rhino, make your opp guess as to which has the zerkers or to concentrate on the LR. You can also put the zerkers in the LR and still have 3 rhinos, more guessing for the enemy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a bit more "fluffy" and it still fits with your general army idea:

Daemon Prince of Khorne with Wings (Nurgle is a waste of points without a psychic power)

Khorne Beserkers X 7 plus Champion w/ Power Fist
    Rhino

Khorne Beserkers X 7 plus Champion w/ Power Fist
    Rhino

Plague Marines X 6 plus Champion w/ Power Fist
    Melta Guns X 2
    Rhino

Plague Marines X 6 plus Champion w/ Power Fist
    Melta Guns X 2
    Rhino

Defiler w/ two extra Close Combat Weapons

Totaling 1288 points, leaving you with 212 points to play with (have any terminators or tanks?) This is a very nasty little 1500 point army, no matter how you slice it.

Best of luck
    Chaos - 55,000+ points
    Tyranids - 15,000+ points
    Necrons - 6000 points

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

I appriciate evrey word of advice as it's been quite a long time since I played Chaos, but I also must admit I'm getting a feeling that I might just not be the CSM-player I used to.

I've got a huge collection of Thousand Sons and I've barely played them since the new Codex came. I thought I'd try a new Chaos-army for next years LO-meet. But I feel I have to sacrifice quite a lot of the cool stuff in favour of playability. It seems a bit bare and unchaotic these days. Sigh.
    Darn I miss all those fairly useless upgrades, Living Vehicle and Parasitic Infestion where did you go?
    I fear I might end up with an army I don't really enjoy building if I take this aspect of the game to seriously, so I think I'll go back to my first initial übercrappy yet colourful concept.
    An army full of expensive and random stuff.
    I'll come back with a revised and hopefully revolting, yet worthless army for you all to luagh at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm big into fluff. In the fourth edition codex I always played the fluffiest, most accurate army possible in the "spirit" of the codex. This new codex KILLED me! I went from playing God Specific armies and being competitive to getting completely demolished without even so much as a hope of victory. The newest Chaos codex almost broke my spirit and for a little while I picked up a few new armies and tried out some different things. Now, over a year after the codex was initially released I'm back in full force, dominating the tables again!

The biggest problem for me was trying to mix and match my armies while still maintaining the fluff and getting some decent threats on the table. In the end I feel I came up with a mish-mosh of units to create one hell of an army. I use units from each of the four Gods and kept with the original "lucky numbers" when it came to unit composition.

Give it some time and play around with a mixture of units until you come up with something you can feel comfortable playing. I definitely wouldn't give up though. Unlike the loyalist version of our codex, a Chaos marine army takes a good bit of effort to assemble and play effectively. With that in mind you get a sense of satisfaction when you tackle some of the more difficult armies out there.

Good luck!
    Chaos - 55,000+ points
    Tyranids - 15,000+ points
    Necrons - 6000 points

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    HQ
    DP
    mark of Nurgle
    Wings
    Strong and tough. The addition of a pyhcic power will be nice, warptime and wind to be precise, but not necessary.
    Troops
    10 Khorne Berzerkers
    Champ with Power Fist

7 Plauge Marines
    2 Meltas
    Champ with Fist
    Rhino

7 Plauge Marines
    2 Meltas
    Champ with Fist
    Rhino

6 Plauge MArines
    2 plasmas
    I cant see anything wrong with these choices, there is two melta units that will act as short ranged AT units and the others as anti infantry.
    HS
    Landraider

Defiler
    Im not a friend of the land raider, I see when this vehicle is deployed with troop transport in mind, that its function as a large long range AT platform is reduced, and then vice versa when sat sniping. Id suggest taking up some other form of AT unit, preds, havocs or oblits, and giving the berzerkers a rhino.

But I feel I have to sacrifice quite a lot of the cool stuff in favour of playability. It seems a bit bare and unchaotic these days. Sigh.
    A quick note. An army is only as uncool as you make it. Just beacuse your army includes berzerkers doesnt mean they have to be modeled with skulls all over them and red paint, they could be grotesquly swelled plauge marines with scythe like limbs and distended mouths filled with 'orrid teeth. While going for a competative list, you have got to leave a bit for your modellers imagination.

All the best mate.

Oh, and merry Christmas!!!
    Merry xmas mate!

Quote Originally Posted by gunney View Post
    The zerkers are kinda out of place, you can drop them and use the points to outfit the 6 man plague squad with a rhino, champ and powerfist. The leftover points can get you another defiler. If you want to keep the zerkers they at least need a rhino and you may want to go to a power weapon and meltabombs, same capabilities but you keep your initiative. Also the prince could use warptime; its cheap and very useful in almost any situation.
    Warptime is a useful addition to the prince as it reinforces his combat capabilities.
    Power weapon meltabombs however does not give the same capabilities of the powerfist. The powerweapon will allow the model to attack at I rating and allows for the full use of furious charge, but you will be sat crying in front of ICs MCs and walkers. The powerfist is the weapon of choice for chaos unit champions, it allows you to tackle all the above stated units and will also deter your enemy from throwing there expensive choices into combat with them. You also benefit from the +1S on charge, this is a great help against vehicles, you will have 4 attacks (am I correct for skull champ?) on charge while your melta bomb will get one roll. Against Walkers this will become incredibley valuable, as the grenades hits on 6s while the fist hits on 3s against SM Dreads! KRUMP KRUMP!

Dan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

Now I am all confused again
    I might have to build me one army that is 1500 points and quite competative, then have the cool stuff as add ons for say an Appocalypse-sized battle.
    That way I could both have the cake and eat it I guess...
    More pondering, just what I need...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

Just thought I should tell you, I moved this from here to HERE (1500 points of pain (do not eat while reading))
    Once again, thanks for all your help.

+ Reply to Thread