1000 CSM Army to learn W40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 CSM Army to learn W40k

I've just gotten into 40k (I played WFB when I was younger). I bought the assult on black reach set to start out, but now I want to build a CSM army, with intentions of converting the SM. I bought the CSM codex a couple weeks ago and have a start on an army list.

HQ
    Demon Prince + MoS + Lash = 155pts

TROOPS
    9*CSM + A Champ w/ power fist + IoK + 2 meltas + rhino = 275pts

9*khorne berserkers + skull champ w/ power weapon + rhino = 275pts

ELITES
    4*terminators + 4 combi plasmas = 140 Pts

HEAVY
    1 defiler + 2 DCCW = 150pts

Total = 995pts

My buddy that is starting out with me is collecting necrons and so far I know he bought the battle box and a lord.
    28 warriors
    7 scarab
    3 destroyers
    1 lord

We're both fairly competitive so I'd like something oriented towards that.

The only thing from that list I don't want to scrap is the termi unit, I'd like to keep a termi unit of between 3-5 guys. Other than that chop up anything that doesn't fit in.

I'm posting this on my phone at the moment so I appologize if this is a mess. I'll fix it up later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Right, this seems a fair list. But I could drop the IoK on the CSM for an icon of chaos undivided. This saves you 20 points, allowing you to add a powerfist to the termie squad.
    When you up to 1,500 points, you will need to watch up for if your opponent purchases a monolith. These are difficult to destroy, and so you have two options.
    1) Take obliterators/predators with lascannons, fire away!
    2) Ignore it, phase them out.

Of these, two seems the better option. our next purchases should be another squad of CSM in rhino, and another defiler, and then perhaps an obliterator or two, as plasma cannons are great against Necrons.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I upgrade to a 1500 of army, would a vindicator instead of a 2nd defiler be a viable option? I'm thinking I might get more variety that way.

I'm not that clear on the pros and cons of the two heavy units truthfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

The vindicator is really only good if you take 2 of them, yeah, the weapon is impressive, but as it tries to get into range to actualy USE it, it usualy gets popped, so, a 2nd gives it a better chance of getting into range.

If you don't want a 2nd defiler, do a predator with autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riptor View Post
    Right, this seems a fair list. But I could drop the IoK on the CSM for an icon of chaos undivided. This saves you 20 points, allowing you to add a powerfist to the termie squad.
    When you up to 1,500 points, you will need to watch up for if your opponent purchases a monolith. These are difficult to destroy, and so you have two options.
    1) Take obliterators/predators with lascannons, fire away!
    2) Ignore it, phase them out.

Of these, two seems the better option. our next purchases should be another squad of CSM in rhino, and another defiler, and then perhaps an obliterator or two, as plasma cannons are great against Necrons.
    After I change my icon and add power fists I think I have 15pts left, are there any thoughts on the best place to put these last points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ido agree with Riptor. Drop IoK for GoC.
    The Vindicator is good but as Riptor said you need to get the range in for the Vindicator to work, but when it does work its soooooooo nice lol.
    Terminators are nice, they draw alot of fire power away from your troops so while the necrons are trying to take them out your marines can head for objectives.
    I must Defilers as its ok in combat but Str8 ap3 battle cannon, no necron is getting up from the battle cannon. Plus if gauss weapons get their glancing hit on you its minus 2 on the table and most results are crew stunned which the wont even affect the Defiler. I would take 2 Defilers or a unit of 2 Oblits, so many great weapons and cause so much havoc for your opponents. If growing your list never forget basic CSM. There great with a champ and IoGC. those boys are running no where and cheap compared to other troop choices.

Hope it helps

Scarred ///
    I am that wolf you always hear, no matter were you are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys have been very helpful.

So strategy wise do I want to roll my tanks forward using them as cover for my DP and then deep strike with my termies or am I better to deploy my termies to take the spot light off my other guys?

I figure with my defiler I want to throw pie plates down on their warriors and follow up as back up to my troops. What should my terminators be targeting? Also am I able to shoot my battle cannon and move my defiler in the same turn?
    Last edited by Funkymankevx; February 11th, 2009 at 07:48. Reason: Grammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing

Your squad of chaos space marines is illegal, you need a squad of 10 to take 2 special weapons. Otherwise it's solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the aspiring champion would count as the tenth person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops

yeah, you're right, i missed that plus sign.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast