1750pts balanced list for tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750pts balanced list for tournament

I've a tournament coming up sometime soon, a maximum of 1750pts. I decided to use CSM, and was looking for an all rounded list. This would my 1st 4ed Chaos list.

HQ - 320
    Kharn
    Demon Prince w/ wings, MoS, lash

Elites - 280
    Terminators (4) w/ heavy flamer, 3 combi weapons, 1 powerfist
    Dreadnought w/ TL lascannon, heavy flamer

Troops - 719
    Berzerkers (10) w/ champion, powerfist, rhino
    Plague Marines ( w/ 2 plasma guns, champion, powerfist, combi weapon, rhino
    Chaos Marines (5) w/ 1 plasma gun, rhino

Heavy - 430
    Havocs (5) w/ 2 meltagun, rhino
    Defiler w/ 2 additional ccw
    Obliterators (2)

Total - 1749

Berzerkers and Kharn will be doing the assaulting, trying to cut down as many as possible. Plague Marines will provide fire support, or get into close combat. This is dependent on who my opponent is. They'll go capture/ contest objectives at about turn 5. These units will generally try to get as close as possible to the enemy, and take their objectives.

The Havocs will be sitting in the rhino (assuming it does not get shot) the whole game providing melta shots. The Demon Prince and Terminators pretty much speaks for themselves. The Defiler will slowly walk up (or remain in cover) and provide fire. It's able to get into close combat to help contest or defend objectives.

For firebase, I have 1 dreadnought, 5 CSM w/ plasma, and 2 obliterators. These would remain back and protect the objectives closest to my deployment zone. The Dreadnought would have a similar role as the Defiler, able to stay back or advance. These guys are also to counter the threat of deep striking units (blast/ templates).

I'm not sure how this list would turn out. Any advice or constructive criticism welcomed.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Drop one of them. Probably Kharn as lash is very useful in a tournament.

Elites: Drop the dread for a vindicator or AC/2LC pred as it is too unreliable. Terminators are cheap and very effective.

Troops: You need more. The 5 man CSM unit needs upgrading to 10 with 2 meltas IoCG and a fist. The skull champion is often better with a power weapon to make use of furious charge.

Heavy: Havocs are poor and can be dropped. It would also alow you the predator in place of the dread. The larger CSM troop squad will make up for the loss. Defiler is ok. Oblits are great.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of taking the DP, as it is immune to instant kills. I know Kharn will be able to do more damage, but I'm afraid of a powerfist that might swing his way.

For troops, I was thinking of a normal CSM squad w/ Khrone icon instead of berserkers. This allows them to be more versatile. What do you think about lesser demons? I was thinking about including them, but not to sure how they will fare.

The predator with AC/2LC should be really good, seems very popular.
    Last edited by WarsmithNiG; April 22nd, 2009 at 05:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use 2squads of 5 lesser deamons in friendly games, giving me a total of 4 scoring units.
    I think they're handy if you've got the spare points for it, as meatshield, assault blockades and at capping obj.

so for me, the pro/con for lesser deamons are:

Pro:
    cheap
    summoning head first into battle, with no mishaps
    still deadly when charging.
    meatshield/blockades
    capping unit

Con:
    Easily gunned down
    CC only
    Footslogging after arrival

And as for your opponent. They will do one of two things. Either gun them down (Meaning they don't shoot at more important units) or get tied in combat..

I agree with Madcat about some of the changes. Replacing the hacovs with a predator would be a better choice for longrange anti tank then the dreadnought,Another idea for your list could be to work some numbers replace the havocs with a predator, and replace the dreadnought with a squad of melta wielding chosen.. The added infiltration could give you a new edge..

About the Zerks.. You could go with Khorne marked instead, but I'd start with dropping khharn, and decrease your zerks to 8 total, and increase your CSM to a full 10, or make them into another plague squad.. actually, not just to be fluffy and all, but you could decrease your plagues to 7 without hurting them too much, and maybe dish the combi weapon.. If you really like them, I'd try to get some points and place the combi on your rhinos instead .

Hope this make sense.
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Here's the revised list.

HQ-155
    DP w/ wings, MoS, lash

Elites-348
    Terminators ( 4 ) w/ heavy flamer, 3 combi weapons, 1 powerfist
    Chosen ( 6 ) w/ meltagun (2), champion, powerfist, rhino

Troops - 794
    Plague Marines ( 8 ) w/ plasma guns(2), champion, powerfist, personal icon, rhino
    CSM ( 10 ) w/ IoK, flamer (2), champion, powerfist, rhino
    CSM ( 10 ) w/ IoCG, meltagun (2), champion, powerfist, rhino

Heavy-430
    Defiler
    Predator w/ AC, TL-LC
    Obliterator (2)

Or should I go for 8 lesser demons instead of the chosen?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

This is looking like a great list but you are right about the chosen. Whatabout dropping them for 5 termies with combimeltas and a single chain fist & IoCG. They would certainly achieve more than the chosen squad and with 2 termie units in reserve you are more likely to get some coming down when you want them.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got enough terminators. Had to get a few more. I realized that I was short on them.. Anyway, there's not a lot of changes to the list. I've removed the chosen for terminators. The 4 men team will be more anti heavy infantry, while the other will be more anti tank. Both teams will be deep striking.

HQ-155
    DP w/ wings, MoS, lash

Elites-290
    Terminators ( 4 ) w/ heavy flamer, 3 combi weapons, 1 powerfist
    Terminators (3 ) w/ ReaperAC, 2 combi weapons, 1 chainfist

Troops - 872
    Plague Marines ( 9 ) w/ plasma guns(2), champion, powerfist, personal icon, combi weapon,rhino
    CSM ( 10 ) w/ IoK, flamer (2), champion, powerfist, combi weapon, rhino
    CSM ( 10 ) w/ IoCG, meltagun (2), champion, powerfist, combi weapon, rhino

Heavy-430
    Defiler
    Predator w/ AC, TL-LC
    Obliterator (2)

+ Reply to Thread