Null Zone Etiquette/Rules? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Null Zone Etiquette/Rules?

So my friend (Salamander Space Marines) and I (Eldar) were reading and discussing the daemon codex, and he was commenting on how the librarian power null zone (all successful invulns must be rerolled) would be perfect versus demons. I agreed that it would, but I also pointed out (he runs a gates of infinity librarian) that he never uses null zone against my army and how it would be a little unfair to change your librarian's psychic powers just based on which army you were playing that day (as well as a little unfluffy).

My question is, do you think that it is fair (relative to both the rules and game etiquette) to change psychic powers depending on who you are playing, I wasn't clear on whether something of that nature was considered tailoring your list per se. I mean I just think that its really signifcant when that one power could decide the entire outcome of the battle against demons, who would have to reroll every single made invlun save the entire game. I use a farseer myself and generally keep my powers the same every battle.

Thoughts?

The Hand that guides.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

It is tailoring, though Null zone is a pretty good ability to use for alot of armies. I know a few people that use a librarian with it in tournies for: Seer council/Daemons/Terminators the terminators be the least effective the other 2 it shuts down and the fact that alot of eldar armies are based around the seer council and a single model wrecks an entire army its not a bad investment to run always.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I just realized this was in the absolute wrong section, meant to put it in daemon forum not daemon list forum, If any admin sees this can they switch it plz, sorry about that.

The Hand that guides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

I'd have to go back and see how it's worded when you buy the powers.

As an example, in WHFB, certain casters (especially Lords) have the ability to chose an entire magic Lore. However, when you buy that ability for them, you're just buying the ability - as such, you pick the Lore at the start of the game. So it's not really cheesing out when you pick the Lore of Metal to utterly annihilate a Heavy Cav opponent.

If it's the same with the Librarian where you buy "a power", then that's the only thing you need to predetermine before the game starts, you can pick your power when you get your opponent. If you have to buy the specific power, then yeah, it's another matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow I completely missed this,

5th edition space marine codex, page 57 under librarian psychic powers:

"A space marine has two psychic powers (chosen when the army is picked)"

I guess this would definitively say that you need to pick your powers and stick with them?

The Hand that guides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Also unlike fantasy psychic powers have a cost with them. So you pay for them as part of your list not you roll for a random power each game from what ever lore + whatever spells your character comes with. They are nothing like spells for fantasy in regards to picking them and puttting them on a character.

Though my first point remains valid. Null zone is a good power along with a psychic hood you can shut down 3 armies with one character.(lash csm, daemons, eldar) Well shut down in the fact that he can counter some of their abilities that the lists are built around and he costs a fraction of what he will be shutting down.

Personally I think its pretty retarded that a character can have ability that is so good against so many things with the penalty of it having a medium range that is about the range it needs to shut down everything it would need to. On top of the fact that they both work inside a land raider and are measured from its hull increasing its range and effectiveness.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point, that is how most psychic powers work in 40k, however all the librarian powers cost the same amount of points, it just says the librarian can use a power from this list. Thats what my friend was arguing, that all the psychic powers for librarians cost the same and were thus switchable

The Hand that guides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I thought it was (fairly) clear myself. It says on page 57:

A Space Marine Librarian has two psychic powers (chosen when the army is picked).
    I took that to mean that when the list is written, you choose the powers. Regardless of cost, you choose the powers you have, nothing says its interchangable. Unless you rewrite your list after each game. But in Tournaments, you choose two, you keep those two untill the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I would say that if it was a tournament, it is probably not O.K. to change during the course of playing games. Otherwise, who cares that he changes his list depending on who he's fighting? I mean sure, that powers a wee bit overpowered against CD, but in a friendly game you could just ask it not be used. I'm personally guessing you are speaking in terms of a hosted event, where you submit a list a head of time. Then no I would agree you cannot change based on your enemies army. Unlike with our army where we are specifically told we assign our groups at the start of the game, the power seems to imply that, like wargear, you need to pick it when you make your list.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

+ Reply to Thread