Sorcerer cabal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorcerer cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Sorcerer cabal

Hi, I'm trying to build a list based on a small sorcerer cabal with as few living people in it as possible. I'm very new to CSM so please be nice and please try to keep suggestions within the general concept of the list. Oh looking for 2k list as that is what my friends perfer to play.

HQ
    Chaos sorcerer 170
    MoT, gift of chaos, doombolt

Elite
    Chaos dreadnought 100
    Multi-melta, missile launcher

Chaos dreadnought 100
    Multi-melta, missile launcher

Troops

8 1k sons 314
    Personal icon
    Aspiring sorcerer, gift of chaos
    Rhino

8 1k sons 294
    Personal icon
    Aspiring sorcerer, doombolt
    Rhino

7 1k sons 286
    Personal icon
    Aspiring sorcerer, bolt of change
    Rhino

Heavy support

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Summoned daemons

8 lesser demons 104

7 lesser demons 91

total = 1999

I don't like the Multi meltas on the dreadnoughts but I really need a way to deal with AV 14 I just have to try and limit the LoS and hope for good rolls on frenzy for the first round or two. The sorcerer is going to go with the gift of chaos unit and aim for ICs, two attempts a round will hopefully net me a spawn. If I get stuck in melee I can hope for Forceweapon kills on ICs. The lesser demons are going to be used to try and hold up CC units or as a 4th and 5th objective holding unit. Otherwise its march forward with all my AV dropping battlecannon shots and shooting with the great ap 3 bolters when I get closer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos have a somewhat limited arsenal of efficient weaponry against AV14 targets.
    - Our Deamon princes are great, being Monstrous Creatures.
    - Our Dual Melta Squads give the nessessary power to at least scratch a landraider with two shots.
    - Our Crazed ass dreads with multi-melta.

Now, with your list, you only have the multi-melta wielding dreads, which will work fine, as long as you don't hit any fire frenzy buttons. But this is all in the power of Nuffle, so I'm not gonna say anything to offend him right now. (Since I'd like to actually win my next game.)

But how often will you meet this Land raider? do you frequently challenge the loyalist scum?

Sorry for being so random, as it is, but on with the review.

Your lord seem a bit expensive. Playtest him a bit, but I would really take another look at the GoC.. It's ace in certain situations, but you might be better off not having your lord so close to the battle. It's true, our sorcerer is a fierce warrior as well, and great for killing of IC, but if you're just a little bit unlucky, you'll lose more points with him, then he's been able to take out himself.
    Also, with the coolness factor of shooting two spells per round, you might want to look at the Warptime/Wind of Change combo. This is more effective then the GoC, and you'll benefit from the Warptime in CC. But this is still an expensive lord, and assault oriented.

The Multi-Melta dreads have the issue of Fire Frenzy, but this could turn out to be nothing but a myth, if you aren't unlucky. Keep these close, so the only thing they'll blow up are each other.

The Rubic Marines are nice for marine killing, and their inv.save could be a turning point for you. But I'd make them more alike. Having three different spells makes them a little to spread out for my taste. I would look at changing the GoC to Bolt for more AT.

Defilers I like. Really like. All the great parts from a Dread, with Battlecannon Cream, and a little crazed-free sprinkle. The Dual CCW makes them feared against vehicles and small units of tough infantry.

And Deamons are nice for a little touch of extra capturing power. Though 2x7 squads might give you a little more breathing room pointwise.
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

I do feel my chaos sorcerer is expensive I generally spend under 100 on both my eldar and tau HQs but I don't see a way of really lowering his points if I want to keep him Tzeentch with two powers.I can't have him shoot two powers in the same turn which means to get the most use out of him in a round one of the two powers will be warptime or GoC (the only two that are not shooting attacks). GoC seemed to be the one that could keep me a bit further away from combat. I have seen warptime used to great effect but with only 1k sons to back him up I'm not sure I want to charge my sorcerer into combats if I can help it. Atleast the powers are something I can shift around without having to change models so I can experiment.

The different powers on the aspiring sorcerers is probably from my eldar days each unit is build slightly different to make them better at different tasks. Not used to having units that are so generally useful. Would you recommend just taking BoC with all 3?

Another question, would it be better to arm my dreadnoughts with the multimelta and a CCW? It would make them decent in melee and the high AV that are the main reason I have them in the list will often times not be hurt by the missiles, but the missiles would give me range and more useful shots against light and medium armor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Why wouldn't you want your sorceror in combat?

5 attacks on the charge, all of which are power weapons and you get the force weapon ability. Warptime at the beginning of the turn and nuke some enemy HQ with the force weapon, if he doesn't die there he has possibly 5 invulnerables to make, the sorceror is pretty beastly in combat.

Taking multimeltas on the Dreads is a bit iffy, if your willing to take the 1/6 chance of rolling crazed and possibly having to melt some of your own models go for it, but really missile launchers with the DCCW are probably a "safer" option.

Could always put in some Terminators instead of the dreads with combi-melta's, a chainfist and deep strike em near tanks to hunt them. And just give em the IoT to keep the fluff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

I agree that warptime on the sorcerer makes him good, but solo he will die to return attacks and I'm not sure if the 1 k sons can throw enough attacks to really help him (this is one of the things I will need to play and test out some). The terminators do seem to be a decent fix for AT but I'm trying to keep the number of people down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thousand sons are actually pretty good in CC aye you don't get a alot of attacks but I've held alot of squads that even plague marines would have gotten wiped by. I recommend doom bolt for your aspiring sorcerers as it complements the ap3 bolters well. Also if you dropped a defiler you could fit in either a prince or another sorcerer lord which I think would do better for you. Have the sorcerer's ride in the rhino's with your thousand sons or give them jump packs and hide behind the rhino's. A prince with warptime is devistating in CC give him wings and hide him behind the rhino's or in cover.
    Change is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Could always put in some Terminators instead of the dreads with combi-melta's, a chainfist and deep strike em near tanks to hunt them. And just give em the IoT to keep the fluff.
    I'm actually terribly sorry for forgetting the nice termi setup for AT.
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Thanks everyone for the input I've made a couple of changes, namely dropping a dreadnought and adding points correctly to get a prince. The list now looks like this.

HQ
    Chaos sorcerer 165
    MoT, warptime, doombolt

Daemon prince 175
    MoT, wings, warptime

Elite
    Dreadnought 100
    Multimelta, DCCW

Troops
    8 1k sons 294
    Personal Icon
    Aspiring Sorcerer, doombolt
    Rhino

9 1k sons 317
    Personal Icon
    Aspiring Sorcerer, doombolt
    Rhino

9 1k sosn 317
    Personal icon
    Apsiring sorcerer, doombolt
    Rhino

Heavy support

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Defiler 150
    +2 CCW

Summoned daemons

7 lesser daemons 91
    7 lesser daemons 91

2000 points

Is this an improvement or have I messed up further? I could take 1 or 2 of the 1k sons out of the list to free up points for different powers. Would that be a good idea or are the extra bodies more useful?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh a sorcerer cabal...I did this back with the old codex where chosen were allowed to all become sorcerers.

Good times.

But I wonder OP, if you want to load up on sorcerer goodness, why not take more squads of less models?

6 squads of 1K Sons, all in rhinos, Warptime on the Sorcs

Take away a Defiler, the summons and the dread...and you could officially have 8 Sorcerers in your army.

I am *not* saying this would make the list more competitive...but for fluff, you'd have your fun cabal, and a lot of force weapons lol

[edit]

If you do this, you can have 5 1K sons per squad with a sorc, both your HQs as-is, the Dread and 1 Defiler...and that still sits you at 2,000.
    Last edited by Memnoch Eclipse; May 8th, 2009 at 06:20.
    "Long live the Emperor!"
    - a patient Chaos God

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you did what memnoch suggests you could throw in some bolts of change for AT as well if you could find the points.
    Change is good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast