Casual 2000 pt, up close and personal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual 2000 pt, up close and personal

I bought the codex a few days ago and am interested in a chaos marines army. More specifically a nurgle heavy army. Here is what I came up with:

HQ:
    225 Typhus

Troops:
    345 Plague Marines x 10
    2 plasma guns, Champion w/ powerfist, flamer (rhino)

330 Plague Marines x 10
    2 plasma guns, Champion w/ powerfist (in rhino)

240 Khorne Berzerkers x 10
    Champion w/ power weapon

240 Khorne Berzerkers x 10
    Champion w/ power weapon

240 Khorner Berzerkers x 10
    Champion w/ power weapon

Fast Attack:
    188 Chaos Bikers x 6
    Icon of Nurgle, Champion w/ powerfist

188 Chaos Bikers x 6
    Icon of Nurgle, Champion w/ powerfist

The Idea is to get my Bikes and Plague Marines up close as an immediate threat while Typhus and my Berzerkers run down the field. Powerfists, plasma guns, and Krak grenades will hopefully be enough to bust tanks as there is only 1 real mech lists in my very large group, plus the very rare land raider.

There are not very many models here but I think the list could do alright.
    Tell me what you think!

EDIT: points costs were off

Last edited by joecool; June 3rd, 2009 at 16:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I'd go with the list, but maybe just a regular terminator lord instead of typhus, he is quite expensive and a footslogger as well i'm pretty sure he can die to instant death, and you can almost recreate him for less points.

Also I'd do drop a unit of berserkers to give the other berserkers rhinos and put in a Karmoon Special of Terminators. (4 terminators, 3 combi plasmas/meltas (either or choose your preference) and a heavy flamer and a chainfist) Probably meltas would be a better choice to give you a bit more AT.

And lastly i'd change your tactics around with the berserkers charging forward, plague marines slogging behind to provide covering fire. And then deep strike your terminators with the termy lord attached to make some impact behind lines, use your bikes to come in from flanks and basically pincer your enemy, could be nice and fun.

Only problem i could see you running into would be your lack of AT, but if your not versing that many vehicles you might be able to get away with what you have, if you needed a bit more you could whack some meltaguns on your bikers 2 per each squad.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Typhus costs a lot of points and would be better replaced with a killer nurgle prince with wings, MoN and warptime.

Troops: Plague marines are so tough they can easily be used in 7-8 man units. Brserkers need rhinos desperately as they are more deadly than PMs and a lot easier to kill. which type do you think the enemy will shoot first? Dropping 6 PMs and downgrading the HQ will alow you to buy 5 rhinos easily.

Fast: you also need 2 meltas in each bike unit. Drop a berserker or two if you have to.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably should has specified that I don't want another mech or rhino heavy army, and if that means I have to pick up another codex then I guess I will have to.

Here is another idea I had this morning (based partially off or your suggestions):

HQ:

175 Daemon Prince
    Wings, IoN, Warptime

Troops:
    254 Plague Marines x 8
    2 plasma guns, Champ w/ powerfist

254 Plague Marines x 8
    2 plasma guns, Champ w/ powerfist

211 Plague Marines x 7
    2 flamers, Champ w/ powerfist

191 Plague Marines x 7
    2 plasma guns

Fast:
    308 Chaos Bikers x 6
    2 meltaguns, IoN, Champ w/ powerfist

308 Chaos Bikers x 6
    2 meltaguns, IoN, Champ w/ powerfist

Heavy:
    150 Obliterator Cult x 2

150 Obliterator Cult x 2

I play a lot of MEQ's and termies (hence the plasma guns). The unit of 7 Plague Marines is designated to sit on a close objective. Are Obliterator Cultists best used in deep strike or not? I think it probably depends on which opponent and setup. Was also thinking of replacing the DP with a sorcerer or lord on a bike riding in a unit.

Any ideas?

Last edited by joecool; June 4th, 2009 at 19:40. Reason: Took madcat's advice and dropped a plague marine for 2 more meltaguns.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

This is a lot better and having no vehicles at all can force enemy anti tank units to be frustrated to popping marines.

Definatly keep the daemonprince. When compared to a nurgle sorceror there is no contest. A Lash sorceror may be good but it spoils the all nurgle theme.

Drop one plague marine for 2 meltaguns on the second bike unit. It gives your army a decent way of dealing with land raiders or ork battlewagons and can always be used to thin out enemy units before you charge.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typhus is an excellent Lord Choice, but I feel that in this list he is too slow to be effective in a combat army. A Daemon Prince with wings and warptime is you best option, as many people have mentioned before me. Nurgle, as many people have said before, is a good mark for a daemon prince because he cops it if he's in the open or caught short of combat.

If you have khorne berserkers, it is vital that you transport them quickly. If you have them running on foot, they are just combustable material, as they can't provide much else but really good combat. Give them a hino to ensure their survivability before they get into combat quickly.

If you are intending to run Plague marines towards an enemy to use the champ's power fist, you might want to consider using assault weapons instead of plasma guns, because plasma guns are rapid fire and thus you remain stationary in order to fire them. UNLESS you are being clever and using your plague marines to create firing lines and receive the charge, survive it and attack back and hold an enemy in place to be counter-charged. That would be clever.

Your bikers both look like fast effective tank killers so that's awesome.

Obliterators are also great eavy support choices and are so much better than tanks because they don't have a single armour value but 2 wounds, so good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to drop something, it doesn't have to be big, to place in a 35 point rhino. You absolutely need one for your flamer power fist unit. If you had the points you should put the others in rhinos too.

To point something out to you it seems you are limiting plasmas only to tanks and temies. When going against light infantry know that they are the equivalent of strong bolters as they have rapid fire and the same range. Even more so because of the fact that plague marines feel no pain negates gets hot alot of times.

I really like you daemon prince! keep him.

As to your obliterator deep-strike question it is about the mission. However yes, a lot of times it helps to have at least one squad of those babies behind enemy lines for a great point of penetration where you can break the enemies line and bring your troops in safely. If you are worried about them though, for terrain or other reasons, know that against units they do have power fists, wounds, and terminator armor. If terrain is the problem, still deepstrike at least one unit, but bring it off your plague marine's or demon prince's icon!

+ Reply to Thread