Help with Nurgle Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Help with Nurgle Army

My friend wants to make a dedicated Nurgle army of 1500 points, but he can't make his mind up on what to get other than a lot plaguemarines. He likes idea of 30+ plaguemarines in his 1500 point army, but is that realistic? My friend has the battleforce and wants to use everything in it but the zerkers. He will most likely be playing against me ( eldar ) and imperial guard. So could you help me put together a rough army for him please?

Cheers

ZhuPei

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Nurgle marine army lists are usually fairly troop heavy, especially if you want to use the "death guard" chapter fluff so that by itself isn't too crazy. I also hope you have more than just the battleforce because that by itself is not going to get you anywhere near 1500 pts, even with the berzerkers.

There is also no real reason to just put aside the berzerker models as useless if he is set on nurgle. You could clip and file the "ears" off the zerkers and have even more marines that can be nurglized. If he might want to play berzekers later then obviously don't ruin the khorne parts on them but if he is set then why waste the few models he has?

The next thing you need to have him decide is how nurgley he wants to make his army. Is he going to limit himself to only nurgle upgrades/marks/spells/etc ? If so you can still make a competitive army, but it limits a lot of your options and can make it a bit harder to win. Once he decides exactly how much nurgle he wants in his army you can make an army list, until then I can only offer suggestions.

Army list recommendations:

Pros of Nurgle: High toughness, take charges extremely well, hard to push off objectives, daemon weapon is very nice, easy to convert/paint

Cons: Expensive compared to others, slow(not as slow as tzeentch 1ksons), light on armor, worst spell of the 4 powers

HQ - Chaos Lord with Mark of nurgle + daemon weapon (possibly in terminator armor with term retinue) or stick him with some nurgle raptors and give him a jumpack.

Daemon prince is nice, but against a shooty army he is probably as good as dead because of the monstrous creature rule. Really nice if he doesn't mind taking a Mark of slaanesh and using lash of submission to pull units towards the meat-grinder that is your defilers + plague marines , and himself of course =D. I don't like him as much because he can't exactly join a squad.

Troops - Use 7 man squads of plaguemarines(not only is it the favored number of nurgle, but it is a nice size squad and keeps the cost lower than a full 10man). If he is going up against eldar and IG (both which like to use a fair amount of armored units) I suggest taking the melta-gun options they can take.

Elite - Maybe a set of terminators for deep strike (removes the slowness factor some) and their heavy armor combined with your high toughness makes them extremely hard to kill. May be a bit expensive in 1500pts, depends on a lot of things, not a bad option though. Karmoon's setup is the best if you take these.

Fast attack -
    • Raptors - absolutely devastating in close combat , very fast, and the extra toughness gives them more protection. They are a bit expensive though. Arm them with meltas and they can kill pretty much anything that you come across with ease. I use them to surgically remove my biggest threats as soon as possible and flank the enemy while my nurgle csms come up the center taking hits but shrugging them off.
    • Bikes - I don't use them but they aren't bad. They combine the bikes toughness bonus with the nurgle bonus to make them very hard to kill (especially turbo-boosted) and very very fast. Just a decent bit more expensive and I don't think they fit as well into a nurgle theme. That is just my opinion though.

Heavy Support
    -
    • Havocs - Personally I'm a big fan. Cheap, versatile, and can take a nice selection of heavy weapons to support your foot sloggers. Get them in a good position and rain down hell. The best thing over the other options is you can pad the squad with extra bolter marines so if they take hits you are only removing regular bolters instead of those expensive heavy weapons
    • Obliterators - The other infantry option. Incredible array of weapon choices(which they have all of, all the time). Bit more expensive but if you combine the cost of a normal havoc + his heavy weapon, it really isn't so bad. They can be put into separate squads so you can move them independently and fire at what needs to be killed. They have access to the incredible plasma cannon which havocs do not get. They have 2 wounds and an invul save as well which means if you are facing long range artillery that kills MEQs with ease, they are a great choice (IG + Eldar are definitely in that category of long range killers).
    • Defilers - Great in pairs, longest range weapon of the chaos marine army, can fire while moving forward, once into cc they are devastating.
    • Landraider - Great term carrier, fully kitted they pack a punch, nearly impossible to kill but will draw a lot of fire making that "nearly" much more evident.
    • Vindicator - Decent armor, strong cannon, short range is the only downside.

Heavy support should be kept to a minimum if you really want a nurgley army list. They are known for slogging forward with lots of troops that never stop coming until they engulf you. Plague marines are perfect at this and take some serious effort to bring down. They take charges extremely well and hit back just as hard. Plague marines are probably one of the best values for the points in the game if you consider all their special rules and upgrades they get for their point cost.

Also, click on "army lists" near the top of the page while on the chaos space marines forum page you will get a huge source of army list ideas and there is almost guaranteed to be a 1500pt list.
    Last edited by paregoric_HAL; June 7th, 2009 at 11:45.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

*bumped to the army list section*

(FYI: All inquires into lists, whether a list itself or no, are submitted to the army list sections )

EDIT: As a Death Guard player, I tend to use predators & 8-man plague squads hatched up in rhinos as my primary starting build. Usually, a prince with warp time and flight is added, simply because they're brutal and greatly enhance your plaguers' c.c. finesse. In larger games (1800+), I also include some dreads, mainly for 'bridging' the gap where my army falls shorts. For example, it's a waste of firepower for me to devote an entire predator for taking down a rhino, especially when the pred should be focusing on heavier armored enemy units. Therefore, I take a dread with missile launcher, which is a very respectable light armor killer. Additionally, dreads are very effective c.c. support units.
    Last edited by Rabbit; June 7th, 2009 at 16:52.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

30+ plague marines is not excessive. I use 35 in a 1500 point army. When you do this you must resist the temptation to spend points on other extravagencies.

HQ: Prince, MoN 130
    Troops: 7 PMs, 2 Melta, Champ & fist 221
    Troops: 7 PMs, 2 Melta, Champ & fist 221
    Troops: 7 PMs, 2 Plasma, Champ & fist 231
    Elites: Dread, Plasma cannon 105
    Heavy: Pred, AC+2LC 130

I keep the HQ cheap. Dropping a fist and champ can get you wings and doombolt but I just use him as is and he basically babysits the plague marines against being caught in combat by terminators. The army footslogs and because of the good resiliance I would rather spend the points on more bodies rather than rhinos. 4 Squads in rhinos could work and almost pay for a dakka pred.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Madcats got it really right right there. That's gotta be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I see some people like at least 1 dread in their army ,and they arent too expensive i guess. The only thing I would consider would be an oblit or 2 instead of one of them. If that dread takes out a couple marines with his plasma cannon he's going to be costing you a lot more than that. Missile launcher is definitely a safer choice but is it really worth all the points then?

If you want a cc monster, and a long range wrecker, I think i'd prefer a defiler for that(although they are a bit more expensive i guess, they won't wreck your guys tho), for a decently armored shooty platform, pred all the way. If you can keep them cheap and keep them away from your expensive units, try out a dread and see if you like them, but I usually find better things to play that role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff wise the best heavy support nurgle could take ould be a predator.

Fast attack wise bikes are always the best.

30 nurgle marines is not a lot but as was mentioned many thing might need to be forfeited. Meltas are ok but try to stick to plasmas. Plague marines feel no pain rule really nullifies the gets hot rule.

don't go with the dread. Few chaos players use the right combination for their army and when they do it is hard for a dreadnought to even make up for points spent on it. Drop it for a couple of rhinos for your melta units or for flamer units if you decide to use flamers instead of a group of meltas or plasmas.

+ Reply to Thread