Word Bearers, help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word Bearers, help needed

Hey all, will be getting the £50 battle force this summer and am planning to use it is a basis for a word bearer force.

So far i know i will have:

HQ. Dark Apostle 150
    Chaos Lord with M.o.T, Daemon Weapon and Melta-bombs

Troop.

10 x CSM, Champ with Power-fist, 2 x Meltas, Rhino, I.o.C.G 255

9 x Berzerker, Champ with Power-sword and Melta-bombs, Rhino 259

Total = 918

After this i'm stuck, i have plenty of spares to allow different weapon options and plan on getting a few more marines to add to those in the set so i can build up squads (the possessed parts will be mixed in with the heavily mutated marines, not a unit on thier own).

What next would people suggest?

I like the idea of using cultists as Lesser Daemons,
    Love the predator models, but wonder if a squad of Havocs with missile launchers would be better
    Would be willing to try out Raptors
    And want to build a Terminator squad at some point
    Am up for using cult troops, so are Noise MArines worth it?

At the moment i'm thinking of usng the force detailed above, +

2 x Predator tanks, with Auto + Heavy-Bolters 200

8 x Havocs, with 4 x missile launchers 200

6 x Raptors, with champ with Lightening-claws, Melta x 2 180

1498 in total.

Any good? or is there far too much heavy support and not enough troops on the ground?

Any suggestions welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the predator models, but wonder if a squad of Havocs with missile launchers would be better
    Obliterators are the best heavy support choice for an anti tank role. Predators with autocannon, heavy bolters and havoc launcher are good against infantry, monstrous creatures and can be used to take out light vehicles such as transports if needed. I would definatly take a predator over the havoc squad you mentioned.

Would be willing to try out Raptors
    Expensive models, they don't look very good in my opinion so I would just skip these.

And want to build a Terminator squad at some point
    Go for it, the models are awesome. Deep striking terminators with combi meltas or plasmas and one with heavy flamer and chainfist is an effective way of using them.

Am up for using cult troops, so are Noise MArines worth it?
    Noise marines work well in an anti infantry role when upgraded with sonic blasters.

Onto the list...
    I would swap your lord for Kharn, he's only 15pts more and you won't be disappointed. Put him in the rhino with your berzerker squad. You could add havoc launchers to the predators if you have the points. I would swap the havocs for 3 obliterators and swap the raptors for terminators. Otherwise its a pretty good list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

So with Berzerkers, using cultists as lesser daemons, and noise marines, how exactly is this a Word Bearers army? And if you want Word Bearers, definately no Khárn.

Word Bearers use undivided, and lots and lots of daemons. Feel free to use a Greater Daemon and such. My 2k Word Bearers list has more daemons than marines in it. Any undivided unit is usable in a WB army, as the Apostle's whims are quite erratic.

~{Archy}~
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though i certainly won't have Kharn as my main HQ, I an getting the model to paint and might have him and the berzerkers as allies (albeit in the same force organisation chart).

I was under the impression that Word Bearers used lots of cultists as well as lesser daemons? Is that not the case?

The HQ (Apostle) may have a mark given to him but will be modelled with all 4 marks so i can choose before the game, as i'm sure WBs can recieve gifts from a god or two without solely worshipping that god.

Troop wise i aim to have mostly icons of chaos glory, the berzerkers were added as they come in the £50 box set and are a brilliant unit that i've not had the chance to use before. They will be modelled as WBs with a few additions (chain axes, khornate shoulder pads and plenty of blood and gore, but no khornate helmets), again i'm sure that certain units could recieve the gifts from one god or other, or simply flit from god to god while the rest of the army loves the pantheon.

How about:

HQ. Chaos Lord (Dark Apostle)with M.o.T, Daemon Weapon and Melta-bombs 150

Troop.

9 x Berzerker, Champ with Power-sword and Melta-bombs, Rhino 259

7 x Lesser Daemons (Cultists) 91

7 x Lesser Daemons (Cultists) 91

Elite.

5 x Terminators, 4 x Combi-Plasma, 1 x Powerfist, 1 x Heavy Flamer 190

Heavy.

2 x Predator, Autocannon + Heavy Bolters 200

Total: 1491

Or would people suggest removing the lesser daemons in favour of the afore-mentioned Raptr squad? Or even a Vindicator and some upgrades for the vehicles? Tbh, any suggestions for any variations welcome

Many thanks, and good gaming

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I think the daemons will serve you better than Raptors. You have enough special weapons already, you have enough Icons to make good use of the summoning rules, summoning works a little better with a Mech list than jump troops, they're fluffy for you and they're scoring units. If anything, I would lose the Predators for that Havoc squad you mentioned--you'd be able to reinforce them at will if the enemy tried to outflank them and you could have one more Icon on the field. Speaking of which, don't forget to give the Berzerkers one...they'll be everywhere you Termies will want to be.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey people, thanks for the advice. Has realy helped me get an idea of where to start with this army.

I'm now thinking of this new list:

HQ

Dark Apostle (Sorcerer) with M.o.S + Lash + Melta bombs + Personal Icon 135

Troop

10 x CSM with Plasma x 2, I.o.C.G, Champ with Powersword and melta bombs, Rhino 260

10 x CSM with Melta x 2, I.oC.G, Champ with Powerfist, Rhino 255

9 x Berzerkers Champ with Powersword and melta bombs, Rhino 259

10 x Cultists (Lesser Daemons) 130

Elite

4 x Terminators with combi-plasma x 3, Heavy flamer and powerfist 155

Heavy

Vindicator with daemonic possession 145

Obliterator 75

Obliterator 75

Total = 1489

What do you guys think? Any glaring changes or problems? And how's best to spend those 10 spare points? I'm thinking eithera combi-weapon on a champ or the sorcerer, or upgrade the berzerker champ to have a powerfist.

Also i might split the daemons into two squads of 5, one to hunker down near a home objective and stay hidden, the other to seize a forward objective and allow my marines to keep on killing.

Many thanks, and good gaming

+ Reply to Thread