Librarium Online Forums banner

mainly nurgle list - need advice

925 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  BetaMaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I really like nurgle but i understand that there are many short comings to a all nurgle list. I have made a list that is mainly nurgle but some good units from other gods. I still feel that this list is kind of weak and i could really use some adive to beef it up

GUO 195
-CoF
-BoC

epidemius 110

10 Plaguebearers 175
-CI

10 Plaguebearers 175
-CI

9 pink horrors 168
-changling
-Bolt of Tzeentch

DP 245
-IH
-Flight
-BoC
-Mark of nurgle
-CoF
-NT

Skulltaker 160
-chariot

soulgrinder 160
-phlegm

3 fiends 90

total 1478 So i still have 22 pts left

Im not sure what units to have in the first or second wave so i would like some help on that too.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you take an Epidemius list then make the list pure nurgle. Every point you spend on none nurgle stuff means the tally doesn't go up as fast and all those none nurgle daemons won't benefit from the tally either.

I would either take a pure Epidemius list or just drop Epidemius and use your current list as they seem ok as they are. The Skulltaker would be better replaced by 4 bloodcrushers and I don't like single soul grinders so take more or drop it for a prince such as MoT + Bolt for 140 points.

#3 ·
Yup

I agree with Madcat on all counts. If you're going to use epidemus, then you need to make the list pure nurgle, or close to it, or else his benefit is wasted. Try and fit in two more daemon princes, and 2-4 more nurgle troop choices, plaguebearers and/or nurglings.

Skulltaker just doesn't make sense anymore. Use the model as a regular herald of khorne, or just a normal bloodcrusher.

#4 · (Edited)
how does 4+ rending w/ instant death not make sense hes a mini MC on his chariot. I wanted mainly nurgle but added units where nurgle is weak like the fiends to add a little speed(id like more) and the pink horrors for range(id rather have flamers but point limitations). I think the tally is good but being too concerned with it instead of letting a few points go to rounding out the army is a bad idea I could see dropping the soulgrinder for another deamon prince and that would help my tally but i really like the phlegm attack with the grinder. i guess i dont see how having a DP and a soulgrinder is a bad idea, where is the notion that 2 soulgrinders are better (other than the obvious that there are two) If one is going to soak up fire and die then the other would do the same next turn or the shots would be spilt, i dont see how variation is bad between troops.

I appricate the ideas, id really like further explanation. maybe my thoughts are because im looking at this army on paper and your advice comes from expreience.

#5 ·
Hmm...

Rending means that when you roll a 6 to wound, you ignore armor saves. All the troops and elites of khorne already ignore all armor saves on all successful wounds. So what's the point? For instant death? That doesn't come up nearly as much in the assault phase as you'd suspect, and even then, you're much better off with a bloodthirster, who causes instant death to anything with toughness 4 or less anyway.

Skulltaker, for his points, just doesn't get enough attacks, not when you can have 4 bloodcrushers, with 16 attacks on the charge, instead. Skulltaker only gets 5 on the charge, and isn't any stronger.

The only thing I can see skulltaker being useful against are carnifexes outside synapse range, and obviously, that's not going to come up very often.

#6 ·
your mistaken, rending means that if you roll a 6 you automatically wound regardless of toughness, and no armor save. Plus you get an extra d3 against vehicles. If you read skulls for the skull throne rule you will see that skulltaker gets his rending on a 4+ instead of 6 and any of his rending wounds causes instant death. CHOP!

#7 ·
Addendum

I didn't feel the 'rending always wounds, regardless of opposing toughness' to be very relevant for a unit that has strength 6 on the charge. Yes, it'll help slightly against opponents with a toughness of 7 or higher, but how often do you face that, outside of Tyranid Carnifexes, which I mentioned?

Granted, it'll give him a slight advantage against opponents with toughness 6 on turns where he didn't charge, but again, I don't see that happening enough to warrant the 80-90 extra points he costs, especially since he can be singled out and killed fairly easily if the fight lasts multiple rounds.

#8 ·
Ok i could see that reasoning, even with his 4 wounds hed be a good target for anything that would go through his armor save. Ill probably trash the soul grinder and skull takers for another DP and maybe some more fiends. I noticed you are saying bloodcrushers and i see that alot of people are either one one side or the other about which one is better but for my mainly nurgle army i think adding some fast units and some shooty units is the way to balance out the army. Ill probably add one pink horror and split the group to 2 units of 5. Ill post my new list soon.

btw thanks mynameisgrax i see where you are coming from now, and have to agree. I guesss hes jsut one of those units that look better on paper. Im sure hed be good in a unit of bloodcrushers but i still would wonder if that is worth the points.

#9 ·
diff list

while i was trying to change this list around i thought of a different list id like to see what you guys think about it. Im still open to suggestions

GUO(CF, BoC) 195
GUO(CF, BoC) 195
10 pb(icon) 175
10 pb(icon) 175
soul grinder(phlegm) 160
soul grinder(phlegm) 160
5 pink horror 85
5 pink horror(changeling) 90
4 fiends 120
4 fiends 120

25 pts left and i could drop the icons if necessary

so what do you think of that? oh and i dont think i would drop half/half but i might consider it

#10 ·
Looks ok.

To use up the last 25 points why not drop a GUO for 2 heralds of Tzeentch on chariots with bolt, Mos and Legion. These guys zoom arround with 5 wounds and good saves. They fire gaze at MEQs and Bolt at vehicles. Because they stay at 19-24" range it is dificult to generate enough firepower to take them out and often enemies don't even bother to allocate all the firepower to kill them. Late in the turn they can make attack runs to contest objectives using the super speed.

#11 ·
Hmm...

I agree, the two chariots of tzeentch sound nice, especially in this sort of list, which is a little light on shooting power. One Great Unclean One should be enough for distracting and guarding.

All I can add is that I'd give bolt to each unit of pink horrors, even if it means dropping a plaguebearer from each unit.

Otherwise the list looks good. Good luck!

#13 · (Edited)
How to scale down

So the list looks like

GUO(CF,BC) 195

Herald of Tz (bolt, legion, master) 95

Herald of Tz (bolt, legion, master) 95

10 PB (instrument and icon) 180

10 PB (instrument and icon) 180

soulgrinder (phlegm) 160

soulgrinder (phlegm) 160

5 pink horror (changeling bolt) 100

5 pink horror (bolt) 95

4 fiends 120

4 fiends 120

Total is 1500

So what would you guys suggest to scale this army back to 1000 pts??? since i know that is what my next game is gonna be

#14 ·
The heralds need to be on chariots. That is where the 30 points came from. On foot they would have to hide in a puny horror unit and they wouldn't last long. On chariots they have plenty of wounds and can move quickly wherever they wish.

#15 ·
ha i had made a note of in in my book but when i was rewriting my list i left it out so i added the chariots and dropped one pb out of each group for 2x9 groups. Now im back to 1500. So back to the last question... how should i shave 500 pts off this list for a 1000 pt? Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.