1000 points just starting daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points just starting daemons

I've just got into Chaos Daemons and bought a box of horrors today so I decided to put together a list of what I'll need to buy. I really like Tzeentch and is probably the only way I'll play daemons due to me not liking anything Nurgle or Khorne.

First a 500 point starter

HQ
    Herald of Tzeentch
    Disc of Tzeentch
    Master of Sorcery
    Bolt of Tzeentch

ELITES
    3 Flamers of Tzeentch
    3 Flamers of Tzeentch

TROOPS
    5 Horrors of Tzeentch
    Changeling
    5 Horrors of Tzeentch
    Bolt of Tzeentch

TOTAL = 495 points

Now the rest for 1000

TROOPS
    change each unit of horrors to 10 strong and add a chaos icon to one squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
    Daemonic Flight
    Iron Hide
    Instrument of Chaos
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Soul Devourer

TOTAL = 1000 points exactly

C+C VERY helpful as I'm new to daemons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Horrors are very soft, so running small units may not be the best idea. With only T3 and no combat ability they can't effectively hold objectives.

Flamers have potential, but they are also extremely soft and reliant on risky deep striking.

Don't bother with icons really, they don't help your initial drop and cost waaay too much.

A chariot might be better for your Tzerald, he gets a ton of wounds and boosted stats for the same price as a disk.

Prince doesn't need instrument (filler) or soul devourer (he ignores armor anyway) and should pick up bolt and gaze since he's walking.

Pure Tzeentch is tricky as you have no real combat units beyond the DP and have to rely on short-ranged weapons to keep the enemy at arm's length. If you don't like Khorne or Nurgle, I'd highly recommend some Slaaneshi units. Fiends are the best unit in the book thanks to their low cost, high speed, and sheer number of high S rending attacks and they can protect a Tzeentchy dakka army well. Soul Grinders might fit better than Princes since you already have shooting and need something stompy.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, I was debating the merits of the chariot since it makes him lose his independent character status and he can't hide in a unit anymore but also it does make him much more survivable and give him the possibility of killing something in combat.

I really didn't want to use other god's units as I wanted to try to have an aesthetically heterozygous army but maybe I could make up a counts as for the fiends that looks sufficiently Tzeentch-y.

The soul grinder was another unit I didn't like the look of as it looks much too Khorne-y and wouldn't really fit in with my ideas but then again, there's always counts-as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

With a proper paint job and maybe some added bits or sculpting the Grinder can look Tzeentchy.

Fiends are extremely useful since Tzeentch is very lacking in assault units, but Grinders, DPs, or Tzeralds in chariots could manage.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it feasible to play an army that is very geared towards shooty powers and not as much in the assault base. I have played armies that are good at shooting and assaulting but never one that is extremely good at one of those things. I was thinking if I took a whole bunch of horrors (for the assault 3 warpfire) 2 heralds on chariots, 6 or so flamers, the blue scribes, and fateweavver, I would have a power heavy, extremely shooty based army. I might see if I can find some way to model something that could be a soul grinder wthout looking like a giant on a defiler, it's juts not very subtle and doesn't fit in with my idea of tzeentch.

+ Reply to Thread