2500 Newb list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2500 Newb list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

2500 Newb list

I'm a longtime Ork player who's looking to possibly give Chaos a try, and I was wondering how this looked for a 2500 point list:

HQ

Daemon Prince w/wings, MoN, warptime [175]

Daemon Prince w/wings, MoN, warptime [175]

TROOP

8 Plaguebearers w/2 plasmaguns, AC, powerfist, rhino [289]

10 Chaos Marines w/IoCG, 2 meltaguns, AC, powerfist, rhino [255]

ELITE

Chaos Dread w/plasma cannon [105]

HEAVY

Vindicator w/dp [145]

Vindicator w/dp [145]

Vindicator w/dp [145]

How's it look?

Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 15th, 2009 at 21:00.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to comment and say nothing more than why so many points? I'm fairly sure 1.5k-2k is about as big as it gets for reasonably sized games that take a couple of hours to play through. Any more and you're touching on Apocalyptic levels, with no restrictions from the Force Org chart and reduces the need for a more specific army list.

I guess the list itself looks good. I'd usually take Mark of Nurgle for the princes to reduce the likelihood of them going down from small arms fire (and large arms fire too, to be fair). Dreads are also seen as risky options, but may be difficult to replace with troops and heavy slots both full as well as HQ.
    Last edited by Ilkar; September 14th, 2009 at 23:34.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I wanted to consider the 'most' I'd ever use in a game, that way I can simply cut down for smaller games. My friends and I do sometimes play 2500-3000 points a person though, although I admit, it's not that often, simply because of the scale.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

I like the dreads. They're cheap, and a good counter to outflanking enemies that can't hurt armor 12. They're more or less there to guard the flanks, especially in objective based missions. The flamers keep them from hurting nearby units if they frenzy (as long as I keep them 9 inches away).

I'm not sure if the marks of nurgle are worth the points on the princes, but I'll think about it.

Thanks for the help!

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    HQ

Daemon Prince w/wings, warptime [155]

Daemon Prince w/wings, warptime [155]

Solid, but they get better with MoN or MoT. The increased survivability on an already huge gun magnet will pay for itself.

TROOP

I prefer Melta because armor is everywhere and Plasma hates me but for Plague it's not as bad as usual. They tend to do a lot of sitting on objectives so the range is nice, either one works.

All fine.

ELITE

Chaos Dread w/extra CCW, heavy flamer [105]

Chaos Dread w/extra CCW, heavy flamer [105]

I know you like these but I don't They're to unpredictable and can cost you big time. A lot of units who can Outflank can blow these up and they won't be advancing with the rest of your army unless your Run rolls are great. I'd either get some Bikes/Raptors so use your Rhinos as cover and assault gun nests or Chosen to Outflank and Plasma/Melta those units who flee from your armored column. Just not a Dreadnought fan, not even SM ones.

HEAVY

Vindicator [125]

Vindicator [125]

Vindicator [125]

Almost a crime not to run Demonic Possession on these. It makes them a true threat, either Wreck/Weapon Destroyed them or they will be shooting. No army can nullify 3 in one turn unless it almost ignores your Rhinos, which is a decision you want to force.
    Hope that helped Grax. Didn't know you were starting CSM. I'd start a bit smaller, 2500 is very rare, most games I play (and tournies) are in the 1500-1850 range. Buying/painting a straight up 2500, nightmare.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

I've added mark of Nurgle to the princes and daemonic possession to the vindicators, but I think I'll keep the one dread. Bikes and raptors cost a little too much for this list, and if deff dreads from the Orks are any indication, dreads seem to draw a lot of enemy fire, which is good for this list, since I don't want them shooting at my rhinos.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was going to suggest after Prince's comment- dropping one dread for DP on the vindis. You have enough troops to not have to worry about it too much I think, although I can see what you're trying to do. Defilers can play a similar role and are more points, but are well worth it in my opinion. You thought about running the dreads (if you keep them) with missile launchers? Frag missiles do nothing to rhinos, so it's something to consider.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

I just had a thought. Most of my army will be relatively clustered together, and the plasma cannon only has 36in range. What if I put a plasma cannon on the dread, and stick him on the other side of the field? Not only will it draw fire away, but it might physically draw enemy units in that direction as well.

What do you think?

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

It will draw fire better. The problem is it will never be a target because the DP, Vindicators and Rhinos are scarier. That's actually an advantage, it will probably be ignored and able to shoot. I'd still play without it but a gun would help it out a lot.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread