1000 Starter Daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

1000 Starter Daemons

Hey everyone. I've mostly been sticking around the IG and DH forums, but I'm looking at potentially starting up a new army.

Since the first army I ever played was a tzeentch-heavy list for Warhammer Fantasy years back, I've been toying around with doing the same in 40k using either daemons or chaos marines. I've read through the codex two or three times, looked around on the forums, and most importantly, gotten my backside served to me on a silver-platter by a daemons player so I think I have a faint grasp on what to do.

My goal here is to be a bit fun fluffy (mostly tzeentch), but still be a bit competitive in the local circuit. Here's my stab at a 1k list.

HQ
    • Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Bolt of Tzeentch, We Are Legion - 110
    • Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Bolt of Tzeentch, We Are Legion - 110

Elites
    • x3 Flamers of Tzeentch - 105
    • x4 Fiends of Slaanesh - 120
    • x4 Fiends of Slaanesh - 120

Troops
    • x9 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch - Bolt of Tzeentch, Changeling - 168
    • x8 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch - Bolt of Tzeentch - 146
    • x8 Plague Bearers of Nurgle - 120

Total: 999

I don't like being 4 points short, that seems a lot to wast to me. Anyone have any ideas what I can do here. I know ( le GASP ) I don't have any monstrous creatures in the list.

I'm hoping that spamming bolt of tzeentch and having the fast unit of fiends is enough to drop most vehicles.

Horrors are there to spam shots and match tzeentch's number (eh, like I said, fluffy). Question, though, each horror has Warpfire, not just the unit, right. IE, a unit of nine gets 18 shots?

Plague Bearers are around to hold an objective. I can drop down the unit size as I'm not overly set on hitting Nurgle's number.

Ways I can change and Improve this? I'm thinking of dropping one Horror and getting We Are Legion for the Tzeralds.

Last edited by Hockeyman506; November 5th, 2009 at 18:16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would make sure the heralds had We Are Legion to keep your options open for shooting at vehicles and ground pounders.

If you are trying to spam the Bolt of Tzeentch, I would make more units of Pink Horrors at the minimum squad size (I know that goes against the fluff). The downside to that is they will probably not last very long from return fire. By the way, Warpfire is an assault 3 weapon.

If you have the points available, and the models, I would probably try and replace one of your Flamer units with another Fiend unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Horrors really aren't all that good. You pay a ton of points for BS3 S4 shots. Sure it kills infantry, but so does everything in your army. Plus, they're fragile as hell. They fit theme, but don't expect much.

All things considered, it looks fine. I like more Fiends, but whatevs.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

I don't necessarily have my heart set on using the numbers for each of the units. It's cool to have the fluff, but isn't necessary.

I can drop a unit of flamers and some PBs/Horrors to get We Are Legion and another unit of Fiends. Does two units of 4 sound good, or does something better work?

Secondly, how would you guys set up the waves for this?

Thanks again.

OP will be edited for an altered list.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; November 5th, 2009 at 18:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

2 units of 4 could work.

I'd have the waves split evenly with PBs in the first and Flamers afterward. Flamers are crazy fragile and they present a nice juicy target when they first drop. Give somebody Fiends to worry about and they won't be immediately picked out and eliminated.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Would units of 5 work better on the Fiends. Seems to me like it makes them bigger targets, though the extra wounds are nice as they seem fairly fragile when not in combat.

Like I said, I'd like the horrors for theme, but if there is a way to make a competitive list and stay on the theme I'm good.

+ Reply to Thread