1500pt Nurgle Siege Company - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Nurgle Siege Company

I'm new to 5th edition. I played Iron Warriors in 4th and am trying to keep the theme of mech/heavy destruction but thought I would do better with plaguemarines. Let me know what you think of this list;

HQ = 175
    Daemon Prince + Mark of Nurgle + Wings + Warptime

TROOPS = 847
    8 Plagumarines + 2 Flamers + Aspiring Champion + Powerfist + Rhino
    8 Plagumarines + 2 Meltaguns + Aspiring Champion + Combimelta + Powerfist + Rhino
    8 Plagumarines + 2 Meltaguns + Aspiring Champion + Combimelta + Powerfist + Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT = 475
    1 Vindicator
    1 Vindicator
    3 Obliterators

TOTALS
    1497pts
    27 Marines/Obliterators
    5 Vehicles
    1 Monstrous Creature

The rought idea of the fluff is that the Vindicators and the Obliterators are the battering ram to punch a hole. The Plaguemarines and Daemon Prince then swarm in. The marines with meltaguns deal with any armour while the marines with flamers and the Prince are the spearhead for mopping anyone that survived the initial bombardment. Hopefully that will translate onto the actaul battlefield.

It would be nice to have Daemonic Possession on the Vindicators but (1) I couldn't easily find the points needed and (2) it does nothing to stop the far more problematic event of weapon-destroyed or vehicle-destroyed.

Any ideas/comments/criticisms welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hey Soulflayer I like the list. The only thing I can think of is that if you are going for fluff, than the plague marine squads should only be 7 men each, as this is Nurgles number.

Also, I personally love defilers, so if you were to drop both vindicators and one marine from each of your squads, you would have enough points for 2 defilers.

Hope that helps!
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good suggestion. I may have to proxy some Defilers and see how they compare to Vindicators so I can see which to buy. I'd like to keep the costs down if possible just so I don't end up with a bunch of stuff I don't want/like.

Do you find 7 plaguemarines is enough in a squad? I can see they're good on paper but as I haven't used them yet I wasn't totally sure how survivable they are in play. Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Fluff aside, 8 plaguers in a unit are generally the preferred number for games 1500+. Seven tends to be a tad small. Although, Defilers would go a long way in securing this list's close combat finesse, while still preserving the pie plate. For points, I'd recommend dropping the oblits down to two, which is probably best regardless of the need for points. After all, tri-oblits is a major target that doesn't have all that great of staying power.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Not to hijack this thread but Rabbit do you ever run 3 oblits, or even in large point games do you just do a squad of 2.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like Defilers may be the way to go then. As for the Obliterators I was wondering what if I drop them all together and so free up 225pts. I can then spend 50pts upgrading the Vindicators to Defilers, 10 points giving the flamer squad a combi-flamer (for extra burninate power) and then spend 165pts on a Predator with triple lascannons. Its possibly a bit risky but would mean that no-one is on foot which is keeping with the fluff I thinking of as a vehicle-heavy Siege Company designed to smash fortified enemy positions. That would make the list look like this;

HQ = 175
    Daemon Prince + Mark of Nurgle + Wings + Warptime

TROOPS = 857
    8 Plagumarines + 2 Flamers + Aspiring Champion + Combiflamer + Powerfist + Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT = 465
    1 Defiler + 2 extra Close Combat Arms
    1 Defiler + 2 extra Close Combat Arms
    1 Predadtor + Twinlinked Lascannon turreet + Lascannon sponsons

So is the Predator a good idea or is there something better? (keeping in mind the Siege Company idea)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I really like this list. You should have enough Armor with the Defilers to hopefully draw fire from your expensive Predator. It's really up in the air on Pred vs. Oblits.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGphil22X View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but Rabbit do you ever run 3 oblits, or even in large point games do you just do a squad of 2.
    I used to run a single squad of 3 oblits, but that was back in 3rd edition Chaos. I just can no longer justify the points, since our troops cost significantly more now. Plus, in my neck of the woods, there are some really competent players. Hence, when I bring to the table such an ominous threat as a tri-oblit squad, they never last long. Two, on the other hand, can work quite well, especially for the point cost. For some reason, it seems our opponents place disproportionately less of a priority on two oblits standing in a squad together. In fact, I've gone whole games without them ever being touched (and they were in the open!). Of course, that simply does not happen against veteran players, who know how easy an oblit falls prey to the las-cannon.

At any rate, two oblits are a very respectable option, as they provide good auxillary support for a reasonable price. They're much easier to hide as well. I sometimes use them, but generally prefer Defilers- both of which are solid choices, even in small games.

Inquisitor Soulflayer, the tri-las predator generally fails for the same reason I just address with tri-oblits: It's just too much of a target. Also, you don't really gain *that* much additional tank busting, especially for the added cost. In all, you'd be better off with leaving the turret as an auto-cannon and only taking las-sponsons.

EDIT: If I might make one more suggestion. Swtich the combi-melta in your plague squads from the champion to the rhino. I think you'll find that having dual meltas in a squad is sufficient. Plus, if you put the combi-melta on the rhino, it will allow the transport to pop tanks on its own, once you disembark. Funny enough, it's not that uncommon for players to forget about a silly little thing like a transport after being emptied of its occupants. Take advantage of this. Often, even with the combi-melta, the rhino will be ignored. This might allow you the benefit of crossing to enemy lines, where the rhino could bust some very expensive pieces of armor.
    Last edited by Rabbit; January 30th, 2010 at 17:03.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I can attest to dual oblits being a lower priority target. I recently played a small points game, annihilate, DoW deployment. I chose to DS the oblits and there they sat until they were the last unit I had left. For some reason they were completely ignored, even though they killed 2 ironclads, the HQ, and about 1 full squad of marines. I plan on running a nurgle list like this, and I plan on taking 2 defilers, and a single squad of 2 oblits. If you ran that you would end up with 15 points to stick somewhere, not sure on what though. Also, when you play this list, never forget to use warptime. So often people forget to use it again at the beginning of the opposing player's turn.
    The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

+ Reply to Thread