2K CSM Battle Company (that's right 100 CSM!!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

2K CSM Battle Company (that's right 100 CSM!!)

Ok, so the first thing I want to mention is that I understand CSM obviously don't follow the post-heresy adjustments to the codex astartes regarding chapter composition. I've wanted to do this with an army for some time and I feel the CSM are far superior to the loyalists (in part I'm sure since I already play chaos) and their codex makes it easier to work out the details. Also I'm building this army more for fun than anything else, but I would like some input as to it's limited practicality

HQ

Lord

Troops

CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun
    CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun
    CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun
    CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun
    CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun
    CSMx10, Flamer, Meltagun

Fast Attack

Raptorsx10, Meltagunx2
    Raptorsx10, Meltagunx2

Heavy Support

Havocsx10, Missile Launcherx4
    Havocsx10, Missile Launcherx4

And that's about it. There's still 20pts left over as I'm not entirely sure of how to gear my Lord quite yet (mostly because without a retinue or anything, I'm expecting him to be useless)

Now I'd like to mention I understand and already know many of the usual critiques people have about certain aspects (must take rhinos, havocs aren't worth it, etc...) but the entire purpose of the army was to be able to fit 100 CSM into a 2K point army using the *shudder* "loyalist" battle company composition. If it makes anyone feel better, I've planned out a 3K army utilizing rhinos, champs, a retinue and transport for the lord and other things to make the army a little more practical.

What I'm mostly looking for now are suggestions on what gear would be best for a CSM army that is pretty much going to be walking across a table. Are there different weapons at comparable point costs that will be better suited for this? What should the lord bring (if anything)? And most importantly tactical options and ideas for how to play it; as at this point I've never really brought an army like this out before. And also any real weaknesses and things to watch out for while playing.

I understand I'm probably going to lose a fair bit with this, it's absolutely just for fun, but I'm hoping to at least present a challenge to my opponent however.

And I don't think anything will be able to top the look on someone's face when you unpack 100 CSM for a 2K point game.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

that looks like a lot of fun

You wll probably have a few people go on about not having rhinos, but you already touched on that, so moving on, ZOOM!

The only thing I can say is pray for good cover and run rolls. I would just march straight up the field like a wave of traitorous death.
    Once you take care of armor and MCs you should be able to just swamp the rest of the army in H2H or in a hail of rapid fire bolter shots.

The only major threats to the army are ones I am sure you are well aware of. Pie-plates, AP3 and true swarm armies.

I have to say I would love to see this army in action, win or lose, just to see how it plays out. If you get some games try letting us in on the
    battle reports.
    The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm lets see. Well you are mixing special weapons, which is never a good thing. But that dosen't change any points to fix just rearrange them.

You don't have really any fantastic long range anti-tank, rocket launchers cannot consistently crack open anything tougher than a Armor 12. However 8 blast templates is a frightening thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Ah, I think all I'd do is put meltaguns with meltaguns and flamers with flamers, however, mixing them in such a manner makes each individual squad more versatile. You'll be in serious trouble if one of your unit gets into close-combat with a monstrous creature though.

Clockwork Titan is right about the missile launchers not being effective long-ranged anti-tank. But with so many meltaguns (particularly on the raptors), I'm not sure you need much in the way of long-range anti-tank. Against a vehicle heavy, big-gun kind of Imperial Guard you might wish you had a lascannon or two, at least for the first few turns.

I like this list though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I know about the missile Launchers, they weren't my first choice really. When it comes to Havocs, I usually prefer 3-4 Meltas and a Rhino to get them into range. That'll pop almost anything and is much cheaper(sans Rhino), but without transports, I needed longer ranged firepower, and Lascannons won't fit with the points constriction of taking that many marines. The hope here I guess is to either use concentrated fire to take out large targets foolish enough to be in the open or running away from the Melta Raptors, or drop 8 S4 templates against a horde army if need be.

And versitility is what I was hoping for with the Flamer/Melta combo by the way, as I won't have the mobility to get designated flamer or melta squads to where they need to be, the squads will need to have at least have a little proficiency at everything. I also like the idea that they're both assault so they won't get in the way of each other, rapid firing, or assaulting. That's where I was going with it, but I can definitely try it both ways (heh).

That's the rationale I had behind their gear. Keep the comments coming though, I'm glad you guys are enjoying this idea as much as I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

What does the Lord have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

That's a problem I'm having, I was hoping someone could offer some help with that. There's 20 points left by the way, but I'm kind of expecting him to be sorta useless without more gear or a retinue or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Well, with just 20 points left, I'd consider just giving the Lord a power weapon and maybe meltabombs, then tuck him in with a squad to boost thier Ld and have him lead the charge with the army's only armor-ignoring melee weapon.

Speaking of Ld... I hope you have better luck with it then I do, because Ld 9 with no re-roll and no special rally goodies could wind up costing you a few squads. I typically lost at least 1 squad per game to morale while footslogging if I didn't put an icon of Chaos Glory on them. You're squads are smaller with lower Ld, so I expect that number could be higher.

It might be worth considering going with the "remenants" idea for a slightly depleted company (ie: 1 under-strength squad of each type possibly) and use the extra points for Champs, icons, etc.

Alternately, the standard Company might sport a Scout squad of reserves. In Chaos's case, it could be replacing 1 tac squad with 10 Lesser Daemons, and use the spare points for some icons. Gives you flexible reinforcements, still 100 models, and better overall morale strength. Just lose a little shooting. Give a havoc squad an icon and they can even drop the LDs in by a home objective after the other 7 squads have charged across the field.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of taking the different approach. Footslogging can be competitive, but doing so means you're learning a whole new set of "rules" from the normal competition templates. But then, that's part of the fun
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

20 points left?
    Powersword+Mark of slaanesh

or Change him to a doombolt sorceror.

+ Reply to Thread