<1000 Nurgle's Finest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nurgle's Finest

a frozen hell from which there is no escape (Utah)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Nurgle's Finest

Winged Nurgle Prince w/Warptime - 175

Plague Marines x9 w/Flamers and Fist/Meltabomb Champion (or Rhino) - 262

Plague Marines x9 w/Flamers and Fist/Meltabomb Champion (or Rhino) - 262

Obliterators x2 - 150

Obliterators x2 - 150

999 points (Meltabombs aren't ideal, I know, but they're great filler.)

I'm not concerned too much with competitive viability, as this army is basically just an excuse to play Mad Scientist and convert some miserable-looking Plague Marines and Plague-blits as a contrast to all the regimented, orderly Warmachine stuff I've been working on lately. However, I would like to know if there are any obvious ways I can improve this list without messing with the Nurgle theme too much.

The Oblits will be converted Terminators with various leftover gun bitz and some nasty sores/tumors/etc, while the plague marines will be heavily converted Plastic marines, and I've already made a Nurgle Prince out of the Terminator Lord kit. Would that much alteration be too confusing, or is it okay? I'm not familiar with the GW stance on conversion work, and I'd hate to get someone mad at me the first time I put my army on the table.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is similar to my PM list. One idea would be to try and maybe swap a defiler for 2 Oblits. It works or it doesnt, but the defiler tends to draw fire away from your PMs for at least the first few rounds and might do some damage long range.
    Do you need meltabombs? - PMs already have blight grenades for CC and you would most likely be using your Oblits for tanks
    see also http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../t-179584.html
    Last edited by pangloss; February 19th, 2010 at 20:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

MBs were for points filler. In retrospect, I'd probably work in a meltagun or two instead. I've yet to play a game, so this list is nowhere near final. The only thing that's certain is the Nurgle theme.

I thought about the Defiler, but to be honest ~$60 is a lot of moolah, and I'm not too fond of the torso/head of the model. (I'd say the same of the oblits, but they're easier to make a converted model for with the AOBR Box Terminators.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, point taken. low cost in points but high cost.
    The only bit of advice i would ever give to any other human being is never attempt to assemble an Oblit if you want to remain sane. I did 4 and it almost pushed me over the edge. Leaving aside the cost, they are without a doubt the worst models to assemble that GW has ever produced IMHO - yes, you get multiple weapons for multiple combinations, but do they fit any of the holes prepared??!!

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hey Ganmeyde. First of all let me say that this list is pretty solid and vanilla for the points level. Just definitely use rhinos for mobility. Not much else you could have done...

...Except for a Defiler. The thing is, at 1,000 pts, there shouldn't be too much armor on the field, and 2 oblit squads might be too much. So if you take out one of those squads, you get a giant awesome crab mech that destroys everything.

As far as defiler aesthetics, Take a look at my chaos WIP in my sig. I also disliked the defiler heads, so I used some aspiring champion horns to modify it. Also I used greystuff to give my normal plague marines a nurgle look, like you are planning to do.

Fiinally, if you just absolutely hate the defiler, pick up a Chaos Soul Grinder, from the chaos daemons line. Just use green/grey stuff to attach a battle cannon somewhere on his body. The model is gorgeous.

Actually, one more thing. If you google Bit Kingdom, the first site that turns up should be a place where you can direct order GW boxes like the defiler for about 30% off. The defiler and soul grinder go from $57 to something like $41.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGphil22X View Post
    Hey Ganmeyde. First of all let me say that this list is pretty solid and vanilla for the points level. Just definitely use rhinos for mobility. Not much else you could have done...

...Except for a Defiler. The thing is, at 1,000 pts, there shouldn't be too much armor on the field, and 2 oblit squads might be too much. So if you take out one of those squads, you get a giant awesome crab mech that destroys everything.

As far as defiler aesthetics, Take a look at my chaos WIP in my sig. I also disliked the defiler heads, so I used some aspiring champion horns to modify it. Also I used greystuff to give my normal plague marines a nurgle look, like you are planning to do.

Fiinally, if you just absolutely hate the defiler, pick up a Chaos Soul Grinder, from the chaos daemons line. Just use green/grey stuff to attach a battle cannon somewhere on his body. The model is gorgeous.

Actually, one more thing. If you google Bit Kingdom, the first site that turns up should be a place where you can direct order GW boxes like the defiler for about 30% off. The defiler and soul grinder go from $57 to something like $41.
    I'll take a look. It's not the point cost to $ ratio that's making me question the defiler, it's aesthetics. I've never been able to justify buying a model I dislike.

However, I think I know where to get a defiler cannon for cheap, and I may pick up a soul grinder when I get the cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or try and pick up a cheap one on ebay thats not in VGC and then customise it: Pangloss&#39; 40k & LoTR Blogspot: Nurgle Defiler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Revised list:
    Grandchildren of Nurgle

175 Daemon Prince
    -MoN
    -Wings
    -Warptime

276 Plague Marines x7
    -Flamer
    -Melta
    -Champion
    --Combimelta
    --Fist
    -Dedicated Rhino Transport
    -Icon

276 Plague Marines x7
    -Flamer
    -Melta
    -Champion
    --Combimelta
    --Fist
    -Dedicated Rhino Transport
    -Icon

135 Terminators x3
    -Combi-Weapons x3 (Melta)
    -Powerfists x3

130 Predator
    -Las-sponsons
    OR
    150 Defiler (dropping some dakka from my other models to fit)
    OR
    125 Vindicator
    ---

Plague Marines do their thing and shrug off stupid amounts of damage, Terminators kamikaze deepstrike the biggest piece of enemy armor they can find, or just jump in when they get the chance if there are no tanks around. I'd run the Terminators in sevens to keep with the theme, and mark them, but that's a lot of points.

+ Reply to Thread