Anatomy of an Army List – 1500pts Tournament Tzeentch Weaver - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

Anatomy of an Army List – 1500pts Tournament Tzeentch Weaver

This is the first in what will hopefully be a new series of articles that, if all goes to plan, can build into a much needed resource for both new and veteran daemon players. It boils down to this; if someone has a tournament or series of competitive games coming up, they can post up their army list, as well as a detailed examination of why they have taken what, and then possibly the results of their battles, and how their plans worked out in said battle.

This isn’t a list critique. It’s to allow you guys to see my thought process when making my list, and then how the thoughts work out on the table. So while I’m sure you all have opinions on my list, I’m more interested in hearing your opinions on my tactics, and my results with this list.

So, forwards with my list;

Fateweaver - 333pts
    Herald w/Chariot, Bolt, Master of Sorcery, Breath - 140pts
    Herald w/Chariot, Bolt, Master of Sorcery, Breath - 140pts

3xFlamers - 105pts

5xHorror w/Changeling, Bolt - 100pts
    9xHorror w/Bolt - 163pts
    5xHorror w/Bolt - 95pts

DP w/Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt, Breath, Might, Flight, Instrument - 255pts
    DP w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt, Gaze, Might, Instrument - 185pts

1496pts

Best to start at the top, so I’ll start with my HQ choices – Fateweaver and 2 Heralds on Chariots. The Chariot heralds are pretty self explanatory, as with the exception of breath, they are the standard build. The addition of breath adds some close support punch, and at a pinch can be used to tandem hit a unit. They will be kept with Fateweaver as much as possible.

So onto Mr Kairos. Fateweaver is, in my opinion, a dangerous choice, a real gamble. The release of the Imperial Guard codex made Fateweaver a more difficult choice; the addition of a psyker battle squadron reducing Fateweaver’s LD to 2, and the sheer weight of fire drastically changed the way he could be played. In some’s eyes, the Tyranid codex effectively killed him off with Deathleaper. However, I’m still taking him. Why?

The one thing the daemon codex lacks, with the exception of Fateweaver and to a lesser extent Skarbrand, is an army multiplier, in the mould of say Vulkan, or a farseer, etc. The ability to reroll failed saves for any unit within 6” doubles the survivability of said unit. I plan to use Fateweaver as part of my highly mobile “Spear” units; Fateweaver, 2xHeralds, and the DP with flight. My “Shield” units sat at the back on home objectives, or sitting in the centre looking to support where needed will be effectively ignored until the Fateweaver problem is dealt with. This can only be a good thing.

Sure it means that all an opponent has to do is throw enough fire at Fateweaver himself, and then have some way of reducing his leadership, and it’s bye bye awesome save making. But on average, even with a PBS ensuring that Fateweaver has LD 2, it takes 36 BS3 heavy bolter shots to put a wound on him. 12 heavy bolters worth of shooting is a lot of shots. It’s more than one Punisher’s with 3 Heavy Bolters worth of shots.

So, onto troops. At 1500 three units should be enough. The Changeling’s unit will be dropped with Fateweaver with the aim of using Changeling to target poor leadership units with a high rates of fire i.e Heavy Weapon teams, fire warrior squads, devourer armed gaunts. This should add a certain amount of defence to Kairos, as well as cause some interesting

The other squads will be placed further back, looking to take pot shots at transports, and holding ground.

The two daemon princes are split into the “Spear” and “Shield” sides. The walking DP is used as a solid counter charge unit, looking to hold up solid close combat units while the horror units get away.

Finally, the flamers. Nothing needs to be said about these guys. They do what they do.

Generally, the army will be split into the following waves;
    1 – Fateweaver, DP without wings, 5xHorrors w/Changeling, Herald, Herald
    2 – DP w/ Wings, 5xHorrors, 9xHorrors, Flamers

I’m playing some practice games over the weekend and will let you know how I get on. I hope this has in some way been useful to you guys.

Mathlete

Last edited by Mathlete; April 5th, 2010 at 23:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x1)

First two Games

Played two games with the list yesterday afternoon at my local GW; one against a friend’s Shrike List, one against a GW Salesmen’s Necron. One was the best game I’ve played in ages, the other the worst. In my haste to get going I left my camera at home, so no pictures this time. I’ll try to takes some next time I play.

Kill Points, Spear Head vs. Space Marines

His list was;

Shrike – 195pts

6xLegion of the Damned w/Multi Melta, Power Fist – 240pts

10xTactical Marines w/ Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon – 245pts
    10xTactical Marines w/ Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta, Rhino – 235pts

5xVanguard w/Relic Blade, Thunder Hammer, 3xStorm Shield, Jump Packs – 250pts
    10xAssault Marines w/ Thunder Hammer, 2xFlamers – 240pts

Vindicator w/Storm Bolter, Siege Shield - 135pts

Bit of a weird list, wonderfully painted and fluffy, and actually pretty good, as you shall see.

Set Up; He won the roll of, so I got turn one. He reserves everything but the two tactical squads and the vindicator, which were in cover.

I rolled for my desired wave, and got it. My first wave was Fateweaver, DP w/Wings, 2xHeralds, 5xHorrors w/Changeling.

Turn 1

I deepstruck everything except the Horrors quite far back in the opposing quarter to my opponent, well out of range of his guns. Some slight deviations, but nothing to worry about as they all run to be within 6” of Fateweaver. Only one of the Heralds doesn’t make it. The Horrors came in mid-table, run into heavy cover.

His turn one, he deepstrikes the empty pod between my big group and the majority of his army. Everything moves foward except the Rhinoless Tactical Squad. His drop pod takes a shot at my horrors, passes the Changeling test, but the wound is saved.

Turn 2

I get my large unit of horrors and walking daemon prince, which land near his drop pod. Everything moves up, and is covered by Fateweaver. Fateweaver, the heralds and the Daemon Princes shoot at the Drop Pod, two bolts fail to penertrate, one does and knocks off the stormbolter. The flying Daemon Prince and Fateweaver charge the drop pod, and only manage to shake and stun it. Twice.

The horrors shoot at the Vindicator and manage to take out the demolisher cannon.

Shrike doesn’t come in, but both the Legion of the Damned and Vanguard come in, the Vanguard using heroic intervention, right next to the drop pod. Everything moves up. The Marines in the Rhino disembark and open up on Fateweaver, but do nothing gets through. The Legion do a little better, wounding him once, but he passes his Ld test.

The Vanguard vets charge Fateweaver, who hits and wounds with all his attacks, but only manages to kill one Storm Shield Vet. They wound him 4 times, but nothing gets through.

Turn 3

I get everything else in, the flamers landing, without deviation, next to the Rhinoless tacticals. The heralds move up to the tactical squad out of its rhino, killing 9 of them with Gaze and breath. The walking DP destroys the drop pod. The flamers hit the tactical squad 24 times, wiping them out.

The flying DP charges the Vanguard Vets, and a massive combat ensues. The DP strikes first, killing the relic blade vet and one of the storm shield vets, Fateweaver wiffs, as do the Vanguard Vets, losing combat by two and fleeing to be rundown by the DP. The heralds charge the last tactical marine and kill him, but not before he wounds one of them.

Shrike comes in with the vets from the table edge closest, and all hell breaks loose. The Legion shoot at Fateweaver again, and again manage to do a wound, but this time he flees. Shrike breaks off from the assault marines and charges a unit of 5 horrors, while the Assault Marines charge the walking DP. The DP kills three, and takes two wounds back. The assault marines pass their Ld test. Shrike kills four horrors without any wounds back, the fifth dies to fearless wounds.

Turn Four

The flamers run and hide, while everything else envelops the remaining marines. The Heralds destroy the rhino, in turn killing a horror from the unit of nine. Everything bar one herald shoots at Shrike, who passes nine of ten 4+ saves. The herald destroys the immobilised Vindicator. The flying DP charges, causing one wound, and loosing combat by one then fails his fearless check and looses another wound. The walking DP kills two Ass Marines, but is killed by the thunder hammer.

The assault marines shoot and charge the unit of 5 Horrors with Changeling, wiping them out. The Legion shoot and charge the unit of eight Horrors, killing three. Shrike is killed.

Turn Five.

Everything shoots and charges the Assault Marines, killing them all. The Legion wipe out the Horrors.

They then shoot and kill the final DP before the game ends. Daemons win.

Kill Points, Pitched Battle vs. Necrons

And onto the worst battle I’ve ever played. I’m not going to slate the guy, but lets just say I probably won’t be going out of my way to play this guy again.

His list was;

Nightbringer

5xImmortals

10xWarriors
    10xWarriros

4xDestroyers
    4xDestroyers

Monolith

I was pretty confident against this list as Daemons are built to take out Non-Mech MEQ, and Necrons are rubbish, right.

I lost the roll off so would be taking turn one.

There’s not much point writing out what happened, suffice to say I was tabled by turn four. Highlights include losing Fateweaver turn one to a dangerous terrain test (rolled a one, then a one, then a one, then two sixes), killing 9 warriors with my flamers, only to have eight pass their WBB roll. All in all I managed to kill eight Warriors before being tabled.

I can’t really blame my list as really I plaid poorly. I should have used my army’s manoeuvrability to hamper his slow army, allowing me to probably phase him out.

First two games and I’m 1-1-0. Could be worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'm not a big fan of mono-God or Fateweaver lists, but if you're enjoying it keep at it.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tzheralds have 1 too many gifts. I run mine without breath since that is much to close to things for my comfort.
    Very similar to my 1500pt list though, when I run a mono-Tzeentch list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x1)

==Me==
    I'm not a big fan of mono-God or Fateweaver lists, but if you're enjoying it keep at it.

Except Slaanesh right? I think mono-slaanesh lists are probably the most competitive mono-god list. Tzeentch is the only other (and probably only just) competitive mono-god list for the simple fact that with that many bolts you can realistically deal with transports. Khorne have no AT and are slow, and Nurgle armies must be the most boring thing on earth to play.

ascendedjesse
    Tzheralds have 1 too many gifts. I run mine without breath since that is much to close to things for my comfort.

In my multi-god lists I agree, but as I only have two dedicated CC units in this list (the two DP's), I wanted something that could threaten infantry up close, and figured that more models with breath would be better. Initially it was an expanded unit of flamers, but I randomly tried this herald build and was really impressed. I'd expect one to be able to kill 5-8 MEQ a turn (depending on how many I can get under the template), so when I use them together I'm usually taking out a squad I'd usually have to deal with in CC. And even if they get tied up in close combat, 5 wounds with a TL4++ save is a pretty good tar-pit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like most Slaanesh stuff, but Daemonettes just don't do it for ==Me== Same with Tzeentch, everything but GDs and Horrors are awesome. The only Troops choice for ==Me== is gonna be Plaguebearers.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathlete View Post

In my multi-god lists I agree, but as I only have two dedicated CC units in this list (the two DP's), I wanted something that could threaten infantry up close, and figured that more models with breath would be better. Initially it was an expanded unit of flamers, but I randomly tried this herald build and was really impressed. I'd expect one to be able to kill 5-8 MEQ a turn (depending on how many I can get under the template), so when I use them together I'm usually taking out a squad I'd usually have to deal with in CC. And even if they get tied up in close combat, 5 wounds with a TL4++ save is a pretty good tar-pit.
    I was really just saying you have to drop something from your Tzheralds as currently they have 4 gifts while only allowed 3. Drop any of the other gifts and you are losing your anti-tank or your ability to shoot more than once or at 2 different units, everything that makes him versatile.

I am usually a fan of specialization of units, but with all the mech running about I will take some AT where ever I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x1)

I was really just saying you have to drop something from your Tzheralds as currently they have 4 gifts while only allowed 3.

I'd never seen this before, but I'd probably drop We are Legion and give one of the DP gaze.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

*moved to the army-list section*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread