<1000 Pre-Heresy Iron Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    a frozen hell from which there is no escape (Utah)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Pre-Heresy Iron Warriors

Well, I'm considering starting the siegeboys up to give myself a break from all my plagueboys. The Chaos codex seems like the best fit, given all the antiquated weapons and the like.

275 - Perturabo (Abaddon)
    (In the Land Raider)

305 - 10x CSMs, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Icon of Khorne, Fist/CombiPlas Champ
    +Mk1 Rhino, Dozer Blade
    (They were notoriously brutal once they broke the siege)

244 - 8x Plague Marines, 2x Flamer, Fist/CombiFlamer Champ
    (In the Land Raider with Perturabo)
    (They had a lot of MK3 Iron Armour, which was very tough, but unwieldy - hence T5, I3, FNP)

240 - Mk1 Land Raider, Dozer Blade, Extra Armour

125 - Mk1 Vindicator
    125 - Mk1 Vindicator

170 points left for 1500, but I'm out of HS options... and not much in the way of troops will fit. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

It's very siege oriented but it won't win a lot. You have to have at least 3 Troops with Marines to even have a chance, even with a Raider.

Abbadon is way to expensive and not very good. If your Raider gets popped, he's 200+ points of walking useless. Obviously you don't want a DP for your theme, I'd go with a generic fighty HQ, just use him as a kind of upgraded champion, shave a ton of points.

Your unit has a HW for no reason, your army is super aggressive. Drop the HWs, load up on Melta and Flamer (very siege anyways and better than Plasma). The Chamsp don't need combi's, big points waste and not super effective. Dozer Blades aren't needed, terrain is easy to avoid and a 1/6 chance, it's easy to live with.

I'd honestly drop the Raider, Raiders are more of a 1750+ vehicle to me. By the time you buy it, a squad and usually a character, that's over 1/3 of your army. AV14 isn't anything against almost every army. Build on your aggressive list, add a third Troops. That'd be three Rhinos and 2 Vindi's to distract. You'll have a ton of points left so maybe a Defiler, some Termies for tank hunting, the options to stay in theme and win are there.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

a frozen hell from which there is no escape (Utah)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    It's very siege oriented but it won't win a lot. You have to have at least 3 Troops with Marines to even have a chance, even with a Raider.

Abbadon is way to expensive and not very good. If your Raider gets popped, he's 200+ points of walking useless. Obviously you don't want a DP for your theme, I'd go with a generic fighty HQ, just use him as a kind of upgraded champion, shave a ton of points.

Your unit has a HW for no reason, your army is super aggressive. Drop the HWs, load up on Melta and Flamer (very siege anyways and better than Plasma). The Chamsp don't need combi's, big points waste and not super effective. Dozer Blades aren't needed, terrain is easy to avoid and a 1/6 chance, it's easy to live with.

I'd honestly drop the Raider, Raiders are more of a 1750+ vehicle to me. By the time you buy it, a squad and usually a character, that's over 1/3 of your army. AV14 isn't anything against almost every army. Build on your aggressive list, add a third Troops. That'd be three Rhinos and 2 Vindi's to distract. You'll have a ton of points left so maybe a Defiler, some Termies for tank hunting, the options to stay in theme and win are there.
    Defilers are Pre-Heresy? News to me!

The Lascannon is there because I like them, but don't get to use them with my Nurgle boys. IIRC, Melta was still in testing at the time, so large numbers of Meltaguns are out - though a few could be justified given Perturabo's technical genius.

I also disagree about Combiguns and Dozer Blades - both fit the theme, and I've never had a game yet where I regretted giving all my champions combiguns to match their respective squads. Plus, we play with a lot of terrain here, and I've been immobilized enough times to really make me appreciate the Dozer Blade. Even if they don't always save me (rasserfrassin' Vindicator rolling two ones on the first turn...)

Abaddon may not be the most efficient choice, but in all honesty who else can really represent the full "THEYKILLEDHOWMANY?!" power of a Primarch, without resorting to IA Demon Lords orother such silliness? The Daemon weapon even fits, given the dubious nature of Forgebreaker. (A gift from Horus, whose recipient conveniently turns to Chaos after being run ragged... on the orders of Horus? How convenient.)

The only other option I see is a Daemon Prince, but that's more of a stretch than Abby.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I meant a Defiler converted as some kind of alternate siege vehicle, not a demon fueled walker.

I'm sure the leading siege army would have had access to Melta technology and you aren't exactly drowning in them, you'd have like 4. Sounds experimental to me.

Combi-Flamers are the only one I'd use, a 1 shot gun is a bad buy at almost any BS. I'd say grab a Combi-Melta for the extra armor killing but you have Meltas and Vindies, it's not a huge area of concern.

I guess if you want the ultimate badass on paper, Abbadon is your man but in game he's awful. It's very rare he makes his points back, or even gets to CC against some armies. It's like having so much power but never getting to use it. Also, why would a Primarch ride with regular Marines into the breach? Not Termies, not veterans? If you're being all fluffy about it, that makes little sense to me. I think you can keep your pre-heresy feel with some small concessions and still have a winning army. If your only point is to have a fluffy army, than disregard everything I've said and play what feels fun. :]
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread