<2000 1700pts Tzeentch Army for Dutch GT - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

1700pts Tzeentch Army for Dutch GT

Hi there,

Next Saturday I'll be heading for the Dutch GT, and I'm looking for some last minute advice on my Daemons of Chaos list. I started my Daemons ~2 months ago, hoping to finish painting them before the GT and now, half a week before the tournament it looks like I will make it. Too bad I don't have a lot of experience with Daemons yet (I only played five games so far), so I'm looking for some advice from more experienced Daemon players.

Here's the list:
    HQ
    Fateweaver
    I have favored him in 4 games, and he only let me down once, by dying second turn (the first turn my opponent shot at him). He gives my elitish army alot of survivability, since my opponent will need to kill him first (and he won't die easely).

Herald of Tzeentch
    Chariot, Bolt of Tzeentch, Breath of Chaos, Master of Sorcery. I chose Breath over We are legion because I being able to split fire is great, but this Breath makes the Herald a far greater threat to enemy infantry squads.

The Masque
    The Masque is a new addition to my list, her ability to use Pavane of SLaanesh three times (and at BS4!) makes her a great addition to this army, since it's full of Breaths, and it might help to keep my army out of combat. Her inability to join other squads made me reject her at first (I took another Herland of Tzeentch), since she will be shot down after one turn of pavaning. But since I play Fateweaver, she should be safe as long as he stays alive.

ELITE
    3 Flamers of Tzeentch
    3 Flamers of Tzeentch
    3 Flamers of Tzeentch
    These are the stars of my army, cheap by devastating, I love them.

TROOPS
    8 Pink Horrors
    8 Pink Horrors
    Both units carry an Icon, and one has the Changeling. I split them over both waves, to make sure I always have an Icon on the board by turn 2. I tend to hold them back, to help them survive and shoot the last 2 or 3 models of enemy units.
    Two scoring units may seem to be a bit to few, but I havn't got any problems with it so far (horros are quite durable), and 3 out of 5 missions at the tournament will be killpoint missions anyway.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Daemon Prince of Chaos
    Daemon Prince of Chaos
    Daemon Prince of Chaos
    All with: Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch and Deamonic gaze. I took Daemonic gaze in addition to the normal Daemon Prince, to make them more of a treat to enemy infantry at long range. Other then the Gaze, they are a solid and tested unit, I like them for their durability and anti-tank fire.

This leaves me with 15 points unspend, any idea where to spend them?

Here is the Rulespack
    The missions are on page 10, but I'll give you guys a summary.
    Mission 1: You have to start somewere!
    Pitched battle - Annihilation

Mission 2: Slash and burn.
    Spearhead - Annihilation
    - Slash and burn: all area terrain is either smoking or on fire, and block line of sight).

Mission 3: The sun's red rays.
    Dawn of war - Capture and control
    - The suns red rays: the game starts with night fight, roll a D6 at the end of each player turn, on a 6 the sun rises and the night fighting rules are no longer in effect.

Mission 4: Implacable advance.
    Pitched battle - Seize ground
    - Stuborn: all non-fearless units are stubborn.
    - Objective secured: if a scoring unit has model within 3" of an objective at the end of your turn, it 'secures' the objective, this a 'secured' objective is your's if no enemy scoring unit ends his turn withing 3" of the objective.
    - Straight up the middle: Neither side my outflank.

Mission 5: The end is coming!
    Pitched battle - Annihilation

Just to make this clear: I'm not going to the tournament to win it, I'll be happy to end somewere halfway (prefer being on the better half tough). And I won't make any big changes to the list (since I only have 3 days left).
    I do however appriciate advice. I will play two more games (on wednesday and Thursday) and I'll give you a quick impression on how it went.

Thanks in advance,

Levitian

A tear is only water, and a sigh is only air.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Looks pretty good. The only thing I'd consider doing is dropping pavane off the daemon princes and using the points to add some more pink horrors to the squads, to help keep them alive. It's up to you, but that's what I'd do.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The Daemon Prince don't have Pavane (they're Tzeentch), do you mean the Daemonic gaze?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Doh!

Yes, I meant daemonic gaze. ^_^
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: FW is good. MAsque is poor unless you also have the fateweaver to keep her saves decent so you should do well. Chariot I would replace breath for legion. You have 9 flamers and adding breath means the chariot has to get too close to the enemy and get charged.

Elites: Perfect. I have had so much success with 9 flamers. Recently I bought 6 feinds to replace one unit but they are still great.

Troops: OK. I usually just take one icon with all the flamers in the other half and trust to luck. Icons however can also be useful in bringing in reserves in the 6" radius fateweaver reroll zone if it gets a bit crowded.

Heavy: I used to use these but bolt and gaze dont compliment each other that well so I would just use bolt and this leaves you enough points for a third unit of horrors.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Yesterday I played a game vs Guards, nearly tabled him (tough he didn't play leafblower). Every unit did a good job.

Both of you say to drop the Daemonic gaze from my Daemon princes? Tough I must admit, it proved to be useless in some games (vs Wolfwing and Guards), it did a great job in other games, giving my princes some additional kills before charging and it proved very effective in killing Necron destroyers. But if I would take your suggestion, what would you have me replace it with? I might be able to paint some additional horrors before the weekend, but too be honest, my time is scarce enough as it is. So I would prefer dropping it for upgrades on another unit.

I won't drop the second icon, it proved to be very usefull in the games I played sofar. Like you say: if I don't get my favored wave, an icon helps my get the Fateweaver where I want him, and my entire army within 6".

If I drop the Breath from the herald, what should I take in it's place (other then legion)? I could upgrade the masque to a herald of tzeentch in chariot, but she proved quite usefull against the guards.

Levitian

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I would stick with the masque. If you have fateweaver she is great, if not she is a one shot wonder who dies to 10 lasguns.

Chariot should have Bolt, Legion & sorcery. It lets you scoot around at fast speed keeping the range above 18" so no one can rappid fire at you. If the enemy wish to use lascannon and krak missiles at you then so much the better because of your 5 wounds and great saves. You split fire at tanks and MEQs for 4 turns then look to contest objectives in the endgame (either move & fire normally or turboboost to reach faraway objectives.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I followed your advice on the Masque, but decided to keep Breath of my Chariot, since it proved very usefull in my last test game.

For those interested, here are my observations on all units in this list, bases on my last six games (1 test game, and 5 during the tournament):

Fateweaver:
    He performed a bit dubious. In 2 games he didn't show up before turn 4, which rendered him useless. In the other four games he was good, but you need to keep him out of combat. Definatly worth the points, but not my Most valuable unit.

The Masque:
    Combined with the flamers, she was awesome. Also, don't underestimate her combat capabilities when Fateweaver in near, she has hit and run, so she is perfect for tying up enemy infatry squads.

Herald on Chariot:
    Tough he was good, he wasn't awesome. He once won a game for my by contesting an objective, but otherwise he was mostly hanging back an shooting tanks. I think I'll drop breath for legion, since I rarely used it (only once did it prove usefull, during my last test game by destroying almost an entire Dire Avenger squad).

Flamers:
    Deep strike them close to the enemy (some 3-4") and use the Masque to bring the enemy in flamer formation. Only one game all of them mishapped, but in all other games, I had atleast two of them arriving in place.

Horrors:
    Good performance overall, but keep them out of combat! The icons did a great job, allowing stuff to deepstrike within 6" of Fateweaver, starting turn 2. I always put one unit in each wave, and never regretted it.

Daemon princes:
    They did a good jod. The Daemonic Gaze wasn't a wast, it proved usefull in 50% of the games (mostly for killing enemy monsters, or light vehicles), so I don't think I'll drop it.

The army itself performed pretty good, I ended 31st out of 120. But I think I could have done better with some extra practice. My next tournament will be the 21st of November, so I'll try to get some more practice before and I'll look for something to spend my last 35pts on.

+ Reply to Thread