<2000 2000pts DG Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000pts DG Army

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pts DG Army

Been trying to improve my old and outworn DG army list and this is what I came up with. The more I looked at the obliterators, the more I liked them. At this point I'm just going to toss some plastic termies in as obliterators and later convert them if I like what I see. I do not feel like investing in defilers since so many are running them around here.

HQ

DP - 150
    Wings, MoN

DP - 150
    Wings, MoN

Their main role is being an magnet for enemy fire during the first 1-2 rounds. I've run them with WT in the past, but I felt I could use the extra points elsewhere.

Troops

1. 7x PM's - 256
    2x Melta's, 1x champ, 1x PF,
    Rhino

2. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

3. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

4. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

5. 6x PM's - 223
    1x Melta's, 1x champ, 1x PF,
    Rhino

The main goal is a wall of rhino's and a lot of PM's. Had to reduce the last group down to 6 and remove a melta to be able to afford the last obliterator.

Heavy Support

1. 2x Obliterators - 150

2. 2x Obliterators - 150

3. 2x Obliterators - 150

I look forward to use something else then the usual 3x preds. I really like the utility they can bring.

Total: 1997pts

Let me know what you think and in what way it could possible be improved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

It's not a bad list at all. The one recommendation I'd suggestion (purely optional) would be to drop your smallest plauge squad in favor of a pair of dreads with missile launchers. This would accomplish a number of things:

1) More threats for your enemy to have to manage at range (thus further protecting your rhinos)

2) Two close combat models that will assist your spearhead.

3) Light tank busting weaponry (i.e., missile launchers) for dealing with rival transports. Often, we chaos players have issues finding the means for taking down transports with cost-effectiveness in mind. Yes, oblits can do it, but their las canons are overkill. The missile launcher is a perfect balance for this role. Plus, you'll want your oblits focussing on heavier armored targets.

Finally, if the dreads decide to get cantankerous and fire at your own side, you can always opt to use the krak grenade ammo. At any rate, it's just something to think about.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeathGuard

You could maybe drop a rhino and try and get 2 plasmas in that squad just to hold objectives. Meltas would be useless if you would be holding an objective at the back of the board.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two dreads sounds like a great idea as it would make it even more competitive and fun (wow, both at the same time). Only problem is I have no dread models atm and will need to go forgeworld on them, but something to buy later on.

Just to clarify, do you just mean to buy 2x dreads with missile launchers and extra close combat weapon (100pts each)?

On a different note, I personally find PM's too expensive for objective camper/holding. I usually go out and try to get into close quarter fighting ASAP and then regroup back to the objectives towards the end of the fight. I've used both plasma/melta setup over the last two years, but again, personally I'm always the most happy with the melta setup.

Thanks for both of your quick replies and I do appreciate your comments.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xarosh View Post
    Just to clarify, do you just mean to buy 2x dreads with missile launchers and extra close combat weapon (100pts each)?
    Yep, that's the one. For 100 points, he's a solid bridge model, meaning he takes care of a little tank busting in the early game, then transitions into supporting your spearhead in mid to late game. So many skirmishes have been turned in my favor by simply having those extra dread attacks in close combat.

Quote Originally Posted by xarosh View Post
    On a different note, I personally find PM's too expensive for objective camper/holding. I usually go out and try to get into close quarter fighting ASAP and then regroup back to the objectives towards the end of the fight. I've used both plasma/melta setup over the last two years, but again, personally I'm always the most happy with the melta setup.
    100% in agreement. In fact, we don't have a cheap objective holder, unlike some armies. While plagues are great at enduring incoming enemy hate, the're just too expensive for sitting them back and *pinging* away with either plasmas or meltas (supported by bolters). Even at the 2000 point level, a 256 point plague squad is 12% of your total army's worth. It may not sound like much, compare this cost to some of our enemies, who can achieve objective holding status for half the amount. In the end, I agree with you, xarosh; it's best to advance forward, then fall back in the last couple rounds to salvage objectives.

Side: In the current mech environment, dual meltas generally trumps dual plasmas when it comes to troop setup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

On the dreads, which I enjoy personally, I would give them the ML and CCW w/ HFlamer. Remember the dread go berzerk at the beginning of the turn, but doesn't fire until the shooting phase. This gives you plenty of time to get the perfect item into range or get that things you need out of range.
    The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I could not resist visiting Forgeworld and put in an order for 1x nurgle Dread, 1x DG dread, 2x left arm ML and 2x right arm CF..

The 6x man PM squad has been removed and 2x dreads have been added. This will leave me with 26 pts to spend and I'm not quite sure what to buy. Worth upgrading the two dreads to have HFs? From my experience swarm armies are a major problem for my DG's and 2x extra HF's could help (in theory). It would still leave me with 16pts to spend.. hmm..

HQ

DP - 150
    Wings, MoN

DP - 150
    Wings, MoN

Elite

1. Dread - 100
    Additional CC weap, Missile Launcher

2. Dread - 100
    Additional CC weap, Missile Launcher

Troops

1. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

2. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

3. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

4. 7x PM's - 256
    Rhino

Heavy Support

1. 2x Obliterators - 150

2. 2x Obliterators - 150

3. 2x Obliterators - 150

Total: 1974

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

For Objective holding try: 5 PMs with 2x PG - Rhino with Havoc. I find this set up very useful, especially as there's usually a few Obliterators hanging round nearby.

FNP helps deal with Get's Hot and if the Rhino blows up. Stay mounted as long as possible.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Adding heavy flamers to your dreads is a solid upgrade. Most folks end up doing this to their missile dreads.

With the remaining 16 points, you might invest 10 of it in a combi-melta on one of your rhinos. A lot of opponents forget about small upgrades like that, so often you can pop enemy preds and dreads with a measily rhino.

+ Reply to Thread