<2000 1750 Demons Mashup - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

1750 Demons Mashup

After a handful of playtests, mostly against Marines, I'm looking at this for 1750. Let me know what you think.

Herald of Khorne w/ Blessing of the Blood God, Unholy Might, Juggernaut and Fury of Khorne
    Standard Herald build to add more complexity to Bloodcrushers and handle vehicles for them.

Herald of Tzeentch w/ Bolt of Change, Chariot and Master of Sorcery

Extremely cheap transport killers. Only exist for armies with Fast Vehicles and IG, also helpful against MEQ or charging a weak unit in a pinch.

5 Bloodcrushers w/ Fury of Khorne, Icon of Chaos and Instrument of Chaos
    Standard Crushers unit that is complex and mainly exists to absorb punishment. If they survive that's great (they usually do) and I will try to multi-assault with them to lock up shooting.

6 Fiends w/ Unholy Might
    6 Fiends w/ Unholy Might

Best killers in the book, mandatory for any good Demon list. Not much to say about them, they do the heavy lifting.

5 Plaguebearers
    5 Plaguebearers
    5 Plaguebearers

Objective campers, nothing more. Usually will be very far away from the action as Demons are great at bottling an opponent up. In KPs they will usually hide . Kind of boring Troops but most Demon Troops suck.

Demon Prince of Nurgle w/ Noxious Touch, Iron Hide and Cloud of Flies

Amazing Infantry killers, also extremely good against Monsters with a Toughness of 5. Very cheap for what they do, good for sitting in a MEQ unit while my other Demons go pop tanks or more elite targets.

Preferred Wave
    Most games I would go with Herald + Crushers, 1 Tzeentch Herald, 2 Plaguebearer Squads, 1 Fiend unit and a Demon Prince. If I really need to apply pressure right away, I would drop a Plaguebearer unit for another Tzeentch Herald or a Prince.

I like to keep the waves somewhat even so if I get screwed on the roll, I'm not praying for good reserve rolls to save me. 2 Princes, 2 Tzeentch Heralds and a Fiend unit is still able to get some nice work done.

My only possible switch up is dropping a Herald and a Plaguebearer unit for 11 Bloodletters, or 12 if I drop all the Cloud of Flies. I think Bloodletters are a very under-rated Objective holder, Going to Ground for a 3++ is very viable. An opponent has to Shoot them off (not that easy) Tank Shock them (possible although I can stay up to charge it next turn) or Assault them (yummy). I just hate how useless Plaguebearers are and very often Demons table by Turn 4-5 or they've lost, in my experience.

Last edited by EmoJosh; February 7th, 2011 at 11:29.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

don't really think the herald of khorne is worth it, i would rather have another tzerald...

consider adding size to your pb squads. I've found 5 to a bit undersized. I use units of 7...

else nothing much to add, very close to the 1750 army i play myself...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Not sure why the Khorne Herald wouldn't be worth it, he adds further complexity to the a unit that exists to absorb punishment. I like having the flexibility to tie up two units rather then another BS4 Bolt, the Herald can carve up a tank very easily as well with S7 (Charge) + Rending.

No points anywhere to buff up the PBs, I'd rather have 3 units than 2 units buffed a bit. Most armies can't even get over to them, Fiends have to big of a threat range and will open a Rhino/Chimera even needing 6's to hit. Unless I have to put an Objective somewhere no where near LoS blocking, hasn't been an issue.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

(Assuming you got your HoK a Juggernaut since you didn't write it but you implied your HoK gets S7 on the charge) HoKs are terrible. Your paying the price of over three bloodcrushers for what is effectively 1.5 bloodcrushers and is just a huge waste of points. Plus it's a waste of points to get Fury of Khorne for tank killing. Your already S5 base and almost every vehicle has a back armor of 10 so a 6 pens anyway. Fury is only good at not getting locked in combat against walkers (that and abusing wound allocation) but you should use your Bolts of Tzeentch to take those out beforehand.

So I would suggest just dropping the HoK, get two more bloodcrushers if you want, and spend the rest of the points buffing your Plaguebearers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

More then 5 PBs is a waste of points, well more of a waste than they already are. If someone is capable of killing 5 PBs, they're capable of killing 6-7 PBs, it adds nothing to an army. More numbers unlocks no further unit potential. If possible my Objective is as far from my opponent as allowed, unless something has speed it will never, ever get to them. If something gets away from me I have three units of 5, they won't be sitting on top of each other to be multi-assaulted or hit with templates. Sorry but unless there is a playing error or you're going to lose anyways, 5 PBs is as good as 7. Why am I wise to waste points?

I'm willing to test dropping the Herald, but saying they're bad is far from true. Being able to hit another target entirely can be a huge deal, further complexity can be huge and Bolt doesn't automatically kill Walkers just by existing. Granted it's usually not that hard to avoid a Walker, but Storm Ravens say no. I don't know why you assume, but not all vehicles are Rear Armor 10 and a Herald can open a Land Raider with very respectable odds.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

I agree with crownaxe.

Drop herald of khorne for one more crusher.
    Add daemonic gaze to the daemon princes then they can use their BS5 to shoot 5 MEQs when they arrive and another 5 on turn two before they charge.
    Spend the rest on a PB or two.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Gaze only shoots 3 times and isn't very useful. Sorry but that's pretty bad advice, Demons couldn't care less about MEQs. It's about opening transports and dealing with fast things, neither of which Gaze helps with.

Sorry if it seems like I shoot down every idea, I mostly post lists to bounce ideas and not take everything on blind faith. I know people get antsy when it looks like all someone says is no.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Five dead marines for 60 points. Seems a good swap for me and that's just on turn one when Nurgle princes can't do anything else but run. Then turn 2 you fire again and will probably fire 2-3 times more in the course of the game. Gaze can even be used against the rear armour of transports as you arrive. If you stun them it makes charging them more effective next turn.

I really like gaze. The ability to thin out enemy threats such as longfangs, dark reapers, battlesuits as you arrive is well worth the points especially on a BS5 model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Why do you keep saying 5? It has three shots, does it chain or something and I'am not aware? C-C-C-C-COMBO? If you mean 5 all together, that's assuming they have no cover. If they have no cover my opponent is a moron and I'll be fine.

Three dead marines is worth nothing and Marines are rarely not in transports, and if they aren't they are most definitely in cover. So three shots, probably three hits. Two wounds is typical, with cover I kill one guy on average dice.

The only time Gaze is remotely useful is against Space Wolves because of Long Fangs and TWC. Demons think TWC taste delicious, so I'm using it on Long Fangs. I kill 3 Long Fangs, does that help? Yes but not 60pts worth.

Gaze really is just trash against anyone playing a good army and HoT have it if I need it. Running really doesn't feel useless to me, Princes belong in Combat so I can use the movement, and Deep Striking isn't precise so it's a big help.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

3 princes with 3 shots and BS5 = 5 dead marines per turn on average which I believe is well worth the points as you move into combat in the initital turns. Yes cover will degrade this but not everyone gets a cover save and over two turns of shooting that will be 2.5 dead MEQs per turn. Not everyone has a transport especially as you have 3 x Bolt to blow some up in the same shooting phase.

Anyhow, you are under no obligation to take my advice, so stick with your original list by all means.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast