<2000 1650 Chaos List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1650 Chaos List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1650 Chaos List

Hi all

Trying to decide on a 1650 decent all round list. Here is what ive come up with so far using what models I own:

HQ:

Daemon Prince
    MoS
    Lash
    Wings

Daemon Prince
    MoS
    Lash
    Wings

Troops:

CSM X 10
    Champ /w Power fist
    Plasma Gun X 2
    Icon of Chaos Glory

CSM X 10
    Champ /w Power fist
    Plasma Gun X 2
    Icon of Chaos Glory

Berzerkers X 8
    Champ /w Power fist
    Rhino

Plague Marines X 7
    Plasma Gun X 2

Heavy Support

Obliterator X 2

Obliterator X 2

Obliterator X 2

Might be a few points off but roughly 1650 at the moment. Any advice/suggestions, i'm a brand new 40k player.

I have not given my plague marines a rhino or power fist as I plan to have them sit back and hold home objectives. Should they have a champion with fist even if staying back? If I use them to hold objectives further away I guess i'd give them a rhino and even Melta Guns with a Fist as well.

What about having 1 of the CSM units taking Melta Guns instead of Plasma Guns? Not entirely sure how to kit out my CSM units. Also, any recommendations on who to give the Icon to or does it not make a big difference.

I have a terminator Lord, an extra squad of berzerkers and another rhino so feel free to include any of those in the list as well. Also any other units as I can get a feel as to what I should purchase next.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Fairly standard outside of a lack of Rhinos. Good first list!

The CSM need Rhinos, though. The PMs can do without as you mentioned, and just sit back on a home objective, shooting when possible, but vanilla CSM need to advance to be effective. It'd likely be better to have meltas on both CSM squads, too. While double Lash makes rapid fire range so much fun, having a solid tank smashing option is preferable with them. Even with all those Oblits, close range AP 1 is too good, and too cheap to pass on. The CSM will ideally charge at some point, too, and they can't shoot those Plasma guns doing that.

Only having one Rhino in a list also means it'll be destroyed first or second turn. And that's no good.

4. ThanksDarkwingdan thanked for this post.
    LikeDarkwingdan liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome thanks.

How about replacing the Plasma on the CSM with Meltas, and dropping 1 Obliterator to give them both a Rhino each?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Hello Darkwingdan,

Mind if I take a crack at your army? As Mister Barbarian pointed out, you definitely need rhinos. Other than that your build looks pretty good. That said, let's talk a minute about Plague Marines:

They aren't exactly cheap. You're paying for a highly developed soldier who is capable of withstanding large vollies of fire. For this reason, lots of players think they work especially well as objective squatters. However, if we look at other races, we quickly realize how cheaply they can sit on objectives: Tau Fire Warriors, IG platoons, Half a tactical squad with las-cannon... to name a few. These are all excellent at holding objectives, because their cost is fairly reasonable. With Plague Marines, it's just the opposite. It's one of the most expensive troops in the game. As well, they aren't exactly outfitted with the proper weapons for long range support; they are designed for close quarter combat. In fact, our codex doesn't have a cheap way of holding the home objective unless you count Lesser Daemons (and here, there is some controversy).

I'd strongly recommend against objective squatting, and instead, focus on advancing to the enemy lines. After all, you'll likely need those Plague Marines up front to support your other troops. Then, come round 4, you can start looking at moving back towards your home objective.

Here's what I suggest:
    1) Swap all plasma guns in your Chaos Marines to meltas. Overtime, meltas will prove their worth.
    2) Give all troop choices rhinos
    3) Promote one Plague Marine to a champion and tool him up with a power fist.

These changes can be done by dropping an oblit squad. AND, you'll still be left with 25 points to spare.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

7. ThanksDarkwingdan thanked for this post.
    LikeDarkwingdan liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks for the advice, sounds good.

I rechecked the cost of my army and it leaves me with 21 points to spare after the following changes, ( I wasnt accurate on the original total of 1650)

Swapped plasma for melta on CSM squads
    Gave rhinos to plague and CSM squads
    Champ and Fist to Plague squad
    Removed 2 Oblits

So with 21 points left over the following options came to mind:

Combi melta on 2 rhinos
    Plasma pistol on Plague Champ
    An extra Berzerker

Which would be the best choice? or any other suggestions

Thanks for the help! I have almost finished assembling my army.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Combi-meltas on the rhinos is a good investment. Often, opponents forget about them.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread