I wrote a brief Blog post about Chaos moving up in the ranks once Grey Knights drop and begin to shift how the game is played. Based on that I made a couple lists I'm interested in testing, I'd love to get some feedback.

These lists are build with the future of the game in mind, if you're not up to date on the Grey Knight Codex they will probably a look a little weak. Basically they're built to deal with MEQ, excel at short to medium ranges and deal with Wound Allocation Deathstars or T5 Deathstars.

List 1
Summoned Greater Demon

Lash Prince w/ Wings
Lash Prince w/ Wings

5 Plague Marines w/ 2 Meltas and Rhino (Combi-Melta)
5 Plague Marines (1 Champion) w/ 2 Meltas and Rhino (Combi-Melta)

8 Zerkers (1 Champion w/ PW) and Rhino (Combi-Melta, Extra Armor, Dozer Blade)

Vindicator w/ Demonic Possession

Again, I am aware this list has weaknesses, it is built to go against future top armies. It has problems with IG on a bad table, Raider Rush and FateCrusher. However with a properly decorated table it is extremely competitive against Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Grey Knights.

The idea is the army has variable deployment depending on need. Plague Rhinos can grant cover to Zerker Rhinos if running into a lot of heavy weapons. Vindies can run at the front of the convoy if an enemy has mostly light to medium weapons i.e. S7-8. It's also possible to run the Princes at the head to give whatever they need cover.

Once the first turn is over the Zerkers will be in position, ideally behind smoked Rhinos waiting to assault. The Plagues are there to open up vehicles that pose a threat or weaken MCs for a Prince charge. They also make decent Objective takers but the army always plays aggressively.

Lash and Vindie is not a new combo but it has gotten better with the rash of MEQ books being dropped. Moving TWC out of cover and into template formation is extremely strong, same for DoA/Rhino Rush. The best part is Lash has a 24" range, 36" effective range on a Prince and most anti-psychic options are 12-24". This means I can put pressure on an army to either keep their anti-psyker up front waiting for Zerker love, or make them useless.

List 2
Lash Prince w/ Wings
Lash Prince w/ Wings

5 Chosen w/ 4 Meltas and Rhino (Extra Armor)

8 Zerkers (1 Champion w/ PW)

Land Raider w/ Demonic Possession and Dozer Blade

Much the same but different. Meltas come from a different avenue and the Land Raider becomes the convoy leader, unless the opponent is Meltas heavy then the Rhinos take point and the Land Raider uses them as a 6" shield.

Has the benefit of a little better options against Skimmers and immediate hitting power, but more fragile with less sacrificial pieces. Forces spending the early game on Vindie defense for mid game payoff where the other list had more room for error.

My theory for 40k moving forward is it will be a lot less Alpha Strike long battle and more skirmishing mid to short ranged battles. GW is pumping out books that match up very favorably with IG and are starting to come out on top, so the game is shifting away from an IG play style.

Both lists are built with that style in mind, 24" to 12" fire fights with decisive assaults. With terrain used as it was intended to be, armies built for short range can out gun armies built for long range because of their mobility. This is something I'm eager to experiment with and watch over the next few months once Grey Knights hit the table.