<1000 Iron Warriors: Competitive 500 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iron Warriors: Competitive 500 points

Hello again everyone. I posted a thread in the CSM forum a while ago about starting IW. I have now got the codex and completely read through it. I thought it wasn't a bad read actually, easier to read through than the IG codex anyway. I'll be playing a few 500 point games soonish so ive made up a quick list for you all. Feel free to tear it to shreds, but please remember it themed IW so some things i will obviuosly not be taking and vice versa. There is a reduced FOC as follows: 1 HQ and 1 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack OR Heavy Support.

HQ

Daemon Prince: Wings
    130 points

TROOPS

10 Chaos Space Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion
    Chaos Rhino: Havoc Launcher
    255 points

HEAVY SUPPORT

Chaos Vindicator
    XXX points

Total: 500 points

I havn't played a games with CSM yet, so i may be a little off with the list (or a lot). 2 things i would absolutely love to have in there is Warptime on the DP and a PF for the AC, but i can't seem to fit them in.

Other options i have considered is taking 2 Oblits instead of the Vindicator. If this is the case, would i be better off not taking any armour at all, as a single Rhino would be a juicy target, especially for the local GK's players psyfleman dread, which he usually takes in 500 points. Any and all suggestions are welcome, i don't mind if someone is critical.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xDETHx Turtle; May 2nd, 2011 at 11:38. Reason: Explained reduced FOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would put your troops to 2 5 man squads as you need 2 troops choices
    i would also drop the havoc launcher on the rhino, drop the melta guns for 2 flamers (1 per squad) drop the vindicator for 2 oblits that gives you 500 points
    with 2 oblits you have greater range and a bigger choice on weapons and they are a smaller target than a vindicator which does attract alot of fire or if you wanted use a defiler instead of the 2 obliterators it has 3x the range of vindicator and is good in closs combat as well and has lots of free options
    just my thoughts though
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

shange he said they are playing with a modified FoC so 1 troop choice is enough...

Well, vindis are nice and all, but obliterators are better, even if he has his psyfleman he still has to worry about the daemonprince, which is a tough nut to crack at that lvl, and yeah, fist and warptime would be awesome to try and fit in...maybe a lone oblit and some upgrades?
    win some, lose some

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

some people love the havoc launcher, but the argument against it. to use it you have to move less than 6", for chaos the transport should be running up the table as fast as it can, your chances of getting good use of it are slim. so dropping it would not worry me. you might find that an obliterator, a single to fit in your warptime and the power fist.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

I find the havoc launcher quite good actually, I use it on my 2 squads of "can-do-everything-and-anything" CSM, they usually doesn't rush across the board, I leave that for my zerkers!

They are usually such a nice threatening unit that their rhino is prio #1 (it usually survives two turns before being blown up...)
    win some, lose some

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, with the suggested changes the list would look like this:

HQ

Daemon Prince: Wings, Warptime
    155 points

TROOPS

10 Chaos Space Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory
    Aspiring Champion: Power Fist
    Chaos Rhino: Havoc Launcher
    270 points

HEAVY SUPPORT

Obliterator Cult
    75 points

Total: 500 points

Do you think this is an improvement? Also, is the Chaos Lord competitive at all, or is he simply outclassed by the Daemon Prince?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by xDETHx Turtle; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:56. Reason: Wrong points total: thanks Arjuna

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

I think the squad is 270p so you have 10 points to spare.

The DP is much more viable than the lord, especially in these smaller games i think...though i have no personal experience of them...

If you have a lord you have to have him in a squad, and then that can't be 10 models and you miss one spec wep, and the enemy have fewer targets to split fire between!
    win some, lose some

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    I think the squad is 270p so you have 10 points to spare.

The DP is much more viable than the lord, especially in these smaller games i think...though i have no personal experience of them...

If you have a lord you have to have him in a squad, and then that can't be 10 models and you miss one spec wep, and the enemy have fewer targets to split fire between!
    And you're right, the CSM squad is only 270 points, but i also noticed the list was 510 points with those imaginary points on the squad. I had it right in my head and added 10 points for no reason . True about the Chaos Lord to, i'm used to my transport's having a 12 model capacity and the DP would certainly draw more fire than a Lord. Hopefully i can playtest this soonish. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i use my lord i use him with the following terminator armor, Mark of slaanesh and a deamon weapon this is 150 points and he does really well allthough when i do field him ill have some other big target on the board to take the fire away while he moves up and hes done really well the most hes killed in 1 game was 1 combat squad of 5 and 4 termiantors and 1 librarium at the same time allthough i was very lucky on +d6 for teh deamon wepaon (blissgiver) and being higher Inatiative shame he died teh next turn dam lasscanons
    so some times they be good depeding on how you equip them and what you need them for
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did consider a Chaos Lord with Termie armour when deciding on my HQ, but eventually went with the DP. Maybe in higher point games with a squad of Termies to accompany him for my 2nd HQ. Although another DP does sound nice... decisions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast