<2000 To Icon or not to Icon? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Icon or not to Icon?

I am starting to get a few units to build for my demon army and wanted everyone's opinion on it.

Lord of Change w/we are legion, master of sorc, breath of chaos

Herald of Tzeench w/ chariot, bolt and master of sorc

Herald of Tzeench w/ chariot, bolt and master of sorc

Troops

10 Bloodletters

10 Bloodletters

10 Horrors 1 upgraded to changling

5 plaguebearers

Elites

3 BloodCrushers

3 Flamers of Tzeench

Heavy Support

DP of Tzeench w/ bolt of change

With the points left over I was thinking I could get an icon or two, get another crusher or just buff the DP some more. I read a few of the opinions on icons here and I am inclined to agree they may not be useful.

Would this list also be good to take on mech lists? I hope with 3 mobile bolts and 1 that act as sort of a area denial unit that I would be able to take down a few transports and let my troops have at the remains.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Heralds are great. Give them "we are legion" so they can split fire. Greater daemon is ok but gets close to fateweaver points and he is much better. Upgrade to FW or drop him for heralds or princes.

Elites: Flamers are fine and will benefit from the icon to come in. Crushers are good too. People often arm them differently so you can abuse the wound allocation rules. A squad of 5-6 with all the upgrades can withstand a lot of enemy fire.

Troops: Bloodletters are a little fragile but can be hard hitting if they get there. (Fatweaver can be great at keeping more of them alive). Horrors are fine and the good save can make them a safe place for an icon. PBs are resillient but I would go for 6-8 of them.

Heavy: Nice and cheap. Adding Gaze can be good too if you have some points left over.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!

HQ: I may use Kairos if I end up getting my ass kicked. The LoC is there for a good mix of CC and ranged combat. Though the reroll saves thing is awesome.

How do you usually protect your blood letters? I am hoping the LoC and prince can provide a good distraction.

Are dual princes more effective than dual soul grinders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went ahead and came up with a different list, very MC heavy with lots of target saturation to protect my vulnerable troops. I decided on a mon w/ touch for a fast CC mover to make up for the loss of the LoC. I might just throw in fateweaver or a bloodthirster at higher point games

HQ

Herald of Tzeench w/ chariot, bolt, master of sorc, master of sorc

Herald of Tzeench w/ chariot, bolt, master of sorc, master of sorc

Troops

Bloodletters (10 )

Bloodletters (10 )

Horrors (10 ) changling

Elites

Crushers (5 ) w/ icon

Flamers (3 )

Heavy Support

Demon prince w/ mot, bolt

Demon prince w/ mot, bolt

Demon prince w/ mon, wings, noxious touch

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Winged prince neds iron hide as he is rather expensive and a little vulnerable without it. Cloud of flies is also useful. Drop a crusher and add a musician to them should equal out the points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I give him iron hide and cloud of flies he gets to the 200+ pt range. Why not just get a BloodThirster then?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    If I give him iron hide and cloud of flies he gets to the 200+ pt range. Why not just get a BloodThirster then?
    Could do. I prefer not to take wings and keep the cost down. MoN, Iron Hide, Daemonic Gaze, Nox, Flies = 175 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but I worry about keeping up with fast movers, but that is what the heralds and deep striking princes are for also. How does the nurgle prince you listed typically perform?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    True, but I worry about keeping up with fast movers, but that is what the heralds and deep striking princes are for also. How does the nurgle prince you listed typically perform?
    Really well. I use him and two cheap tzeentch princes with MoT, Bolt & Gaze. The Nurgle one I use against decent infantry. His Daemonic Gaze means he can actually do something on the turn he arrives and at BS5 you might as well give him a shooting attack. He fires as he deepstrikes then fires again as he charges into combat on the following turn. Armour and T6 make him almost bolter proof and S4 power weapons also pale as they need a 6 to wound and I still have 5++.

Watch out for massed plasma guns etc as they can really sting but if your daemon army has a reasonable shooting ability targets such as this would be the first thing you shoot at as you arrive. Defensive grenades can save your neck against massed Orks or blood claws who charge you and the offensive grenades are useful to maintain I5 if you charge into cover. Nox is cheap and makes him fantastic against wraithlords and C'tan shardes but its main use is to reroll those 1's to wound when chopping up MEQs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reroll? I thought nox only let you wound on 2+?

Are flamers generally worth it? They seem pretty fragile with just 1 wound. I could trade the flamers for gaze on the two tzeench princes and maximize their potential as well as getting an extra crusher.
    Last edited by meeper; November 11th, 2011 at 17:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast