[1000]Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

[1000]Thousand Sons

In my experience, tsons lacks heavy(obviously) and has an excess of troops, good for surviving with 2 wounds each, but not nessicarily destructive enough. I thionk this is mostly due to the free AC when taking squads of nine. So instead, I took squads of six to give me more wounds than in most squads and to keep cost low, therefore giving me more AC with bolt of change. with that in mind, heres my list

Lieutenant; 127
    mark of tzeench
    bolt pistol
    frag grenades
    bolt of change
    eye of tzeench
    1 thrall
    power weapon

9 flamers 207

6 Marines 222
    AC with
    ccw+bolt pistol
    eye of tzeench
    bolt of change
    3 thralls

6 Marines 222
    AC with
    ccw+bolt pistol
    eye of tzeench
    bolt of change
    3 thralls

6 Marines 222
    AC with
    ccw+bolt pistol
    eye of tzeench
    bolt of change
    3 thralls

with this set-up, i get 8 bolts of change that can reroll either the hit or the wound roll. this will destroy anything except characters with the collar of khorne or similar nullifying items. the deamons clean up with 27 heavybolter shots. The lieutenant can take small characters, prefferring to shoot it to death before close combat, though.

If facing something fast and close combatish, you can switch an ACs bolt of change and 1 thrall for a power fist and gift of change.

tell me what you think. ii appreciate it.

-ptail

Last edited by Nebulas; August 11th, 2005 at 22:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count your give points man. Just looking I know their off. I would add some heavy, pred or dread, and lighten the psychic power on the ACs, add 3 more marines (to keep them favorite.) Don't try to support Tzeentch weak side with to much pshchic power, get heavy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldOfChaos
    Count your give points man. Just looking I know their off.
    What do you mean, the totals are all right and legal. And a unit of nine, although favoured and free AC, is not that great, especially when facing armoured foes. In close combat, only one initiative 1 attack, even when chargine, and a big unit with the low mobility of tsons makes for an easy close combat target.

and im not trying to make up for lack of heavy support. im taking advantage of the free psyker abilities. I would just rather have a unit champion with a devastating attack that has to be wounded by a lascannon six times, rather than a high priority target like a pred that can go down after a single lascannon shot. In effect, my troops become my heavy support when equiped with eye of tzeench and bolt of change.
    Last edited by P-Tail; August 12th, 2005 at 00:03.

Member Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a little too one-sided IMO. Having 9 man squads gives you both shooty and CC killing abilities.
    Servo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-Tail
    What do you mean, the totals are all right and legal. And a unit of nine, although favoured and free AC, is not that great, especially when facing armoured foes. In close combat, only one initiative 1 attack, even when chargine, and a big unit with the low mobility of tsons makes for an easy close combat target.

and im not trying to make up for lack of heavy support. im taking advantage of the free psyker abilities. I would just rather have a unit champion with a devastating attack that has to be wounded by a lascannon six times, rather than a high priority target like a pred that can go down after a single lascannon shot. In effect, my troops become my heavy support when equiped with eye of tzeench and bolt of change.
    I believe your Daemon Gifts for the AC may be over. Plus you need to read the Errata GW reason for the codex and read "Slow And Purposeful" in the BBB (Big Black Book), its different now, for that. Intiate is regular.

Plus you're shotting down all our comments. Mayber you just don't want to by a Pred (lascannon shot further BTW, distance can be a advantage.) Its okay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

Since psychic powers dont count as deamonic gifts, my ACs are legal. And, please, im not trying to shut down everyones comments, i am simply trying to present my own opinions with clear support. As for heavy support, i can drop the flamers for a

dread; 195
    lascannons
    smoke
    heavy flamer
    mutated hull
    havoc launcher

+ 2 thralls and krak grenades for the lieutenant 12

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

What do you mean, the totals are all right and legal.
    Verified - 5 marines and one champ. with the listed equipment comes out to 222.
    And a unit of nine, although favoured and free AC, is not that great, especially when facing armoured foes. In close combat, only one initiative 1 attack, even when chargine, and a big unit with the low mobility of tsons makes for an easy close combat target.
    I agree. 9 is a bit much sometimes, especially with 1K Sons. But check the BBB - they no longer have initiative 1. They now use the rule straight from the BBB, not the Codex ruling.
    The problem with this is that you get one chance per unit. Let's say you want to take out a Predator. 13 armor means you need to roll a 5 on your Bolt of Change. Assuming you do damage, it's just as likely to be glancing as penetrating. Meanwhile, you've just wasted 6 bolter shots from your unit, which would be best served shooting gribblies charging towards you. And if you do shoot the gribblies instead of the Predator, you've practically wasted that Bolt of Change, right? This is the inherent problem with BoC armies. It's akin to taking a Missile Launcher or Heavy Bolter for a Tac squad... but we're talking 40 points vs. 10.
    the deamons clean up with 27 heavybolter shots.
    And then promptly get charge and eaten alive in CC. With only a 18" range, a quick unit can close that gap quickly and chew them up. Don't get me wrong - I love Flamers, and they can utterly wreak havoc amongst an unprepared opponent. Just be careful when summoning them.
    Last edited by Caluin; August 12th, 2005 at 16:39.

Member Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    The problem with this is that you get one chance per unit. Let's say you want to take out a Predator. 13 armor means you need to roll a 5 on your Bolt of Change. Assuming you do damage, it's just as likely to be glancing as penetrating. Meanwhile, you've just wasted 6 bolter shots from your unit, which would be best served shooting gribblies charging towards you. And if you do shoot the gribblies instead of the Predator, you've practically wasted that Bolt of Change, right? This is the inherent problem with BoC armies. It's akin to taking a Missile Launcher or Heavy Bolter for a Tac squad... but we're talking 40 points vs. 10.
    It is not a waste. In a TS army, you need the Bolts of Change. Leaving them completely to predators is very dangerous. Also, there is no other power that could match the range of the BoC, making it the best power for the rubrics.
    Servo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm
    It is not a waste. In a TS army, you need the Bolts of Change. Leaving them completely to predators is very dangerous. Also, there is no other power that could match the range of the BoC, making it the best power for the rubrics.
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a complete waste, or a bad idea in any regards, though I see how that might've been interpreted like that. I should change that line to be a bit more clear, even I had a hard time knowing what I was trying to say. I do agree that Rubrics need the BoC - my arguement is that Rubrics shouldn't rely upon the BoC to do all their heavy hitting. Saying "Oh, I don't need a Predator or Dread because I have four units, all with a Champ that has BoC" is silly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

What do you think about putting in the dread. I think that i will use it against power armoured armies, but otherwise i can use the flamers and rely on the lieutenant for tank sniping. What do you think about lasscannon vs. plasma w/ missle launcher(same points)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast