1000 points Thousand Sons Tournament List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points Thousand Sons Tournament List

Hey guys. :cool:
    This is a new 1000 point list im gonna use in a tournament this week so i would really appreciate if u could all tell me what you think and if it needs any changes dont hesitate to tell me.

Daemon Prince
    -Two Close Combat Weapons
    -Daemonic Strength
    -Daemonic Aura
    -Daemonic Flight
    -Daemonic Mutation
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Daemonic Stature
    -Daemonic Resilience
    157 pts

8 Thousand Sons
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolters
    1 Aspiring Champion
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolt of Change
    -Bolt Pistol
    -Great Weapon
    -1 Thrall Wizard
    255 pts

8 Thousand Sons
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolters
    1 Aspiring Champion
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolt of Change
    -Bolt Pistol
    -Close Combat Weapon
    -1 Thrall Wizard
    252 pts

7 Flamers of Tzeentch
    -Doombolt
    161 pts

Chaos Predator
    -Turret Mounted Twin-Linked Lascannon
    -Lascannon Side Sponsons
    -Mutated Hull
    175 pts

1000 pts

Thanks forr looking. Please tell me what you think

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

I'll break down what I think unit by unit:

Daemon Prince
    -Two Close Combat Weapons
    -Daemonic Strength
    -Daemonic Aura
    -Daemonic Flight
    -Daemonic Mutation
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Daemonic Stature
    -Daemonic Resilience
    157 pts

Good, but the two close combat weapons isn't very fluffy, and the Daemonic Stature means he can be picked out rather easily for some shooting nastyness. I'd consider swapping Daemonic Stature for a Dark Blade, and then he can use his IC character status to hide. This way you can be absolutely sure he will hit your enemies lines.This also means you can drop the Deamonic Strength (S6 against MEQs is as good as S7). You can also get rid of Daemonic Flight if your going to hide him behind a footslogging 1000k squad. Also, he's a sorcerer but has no magic powers? Not very fluffy, if you can I'd drop something else and give him Bolt of Change or something.

8 Thousand Sons
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolters
    1 Aspiring Champion
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolt of Change
    -Bolt Pistol
    -Great Weapon
    -1 Thrall Wizard
    255 pts

I have to say for competitive purposes I'm more of a fan of Powerfists that Bolt of Change on an Aspiring Champion. Bolt of Change may be a lot more fluffy, but I find that the Aspiring Champions with hidden powerfists are more useful for increasing the CC power of the squad.

An example of what I'm talking about is this:

Your squad shoots at a Dreadnought/Monstrous Creature, trying to use Bolt of Change to take it down, and misses or fails to damage or wound it sufficiently (not impossible). The next turn you are charged by the Dreadnought/MC, and your squad is tied up with something that it cannot really hurt...the Greater Daemon/ Wraithlord/ Whatever proceeds to maul half your squad.

However with the hidden Powerfist, you lose the shooting attacks, but you gain the 3 S8 attacks in CC per turn, and your opponent has to get rid of probably 17 wounds before he can kill that Aspiring Champion. That way you get to do a lot more damage, and even if you fight not so powerful opponents, the Powerfist helps to rip through things like Striking Scorpions or Necrons. It really adds to the power of the squad, and makes it a lot more difficult to tie your squad up with good armour saves.

Read the link below, it says what I'm trying to say more concisely.

http://www.librarium-online.com/arti...howarticle=176

8 Thousand Sons
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolters
    1 Aspiring Champion
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Bolt of Change
    -Bolt Pistol
    -Close Combat Weapon
    -1 Thrall Wizard
    252 pts

^^ See above.

7 Flamers of Tzeentch
    -Doombolt
    161 pts

Good, general kill all unit. It's always handy to have something to summon, lets you reinforce a squad thats struggling.

Chaos Predator
    -Turret Mounted Twin-Linked Lascannon
    -Lascannon Side Sponsons
    -Mutated Hull
    175 pts

Hmm, Im not sure about this. There's both an important pro + con to this unit.

Pro: This is the only decent anti-tank model 1000 Sons can take, and the rest of your army will really struggle for anti-tank if you face AV14.
    Con: It's really expensive, and how many AV14 tanks can really you expect to face at 1000pts? Probably one Leman Russ at most, and thats only if you play Guard.

I think the con wins out here, I'd drop this and take it again when you play 1500 points. I'd use the points and perhaps drop the Horrors and take another squad of Thousand Sons with a Hidden Powerfist. It'll look great, it'll be fluffy, and your opponent will hate you. If you do it cheaply and save some points, you might be able to fit in a cheap Lieutenant you can hide in one of the Squads to stiffen them up a bit.

Anyway, this is my advice, do with it as you will.
    Last edited by Addoran; August 16th, 2005 at 12:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

So basically, re-reading my own advice, I'd go for

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch 137pts
    Dark Blade
    Daemonic Aura
    Daemonic Resiliance
    Daemonic Mutation
    Bolt Pistol <-- Same price as a Close Combat Weapon, gets you the +1 A bonus AND a shooting attack.
    Frag Nades

Sorcerer of Tzeentch 77pts
    Bolt Pistol
    Power Weapon
    Daemonic Visage
    Frag Nades

8 Thousand Sons 261pts
    Asp Champion - Powerfist/BOC

8 Thousand Sons 261pts

8 Thousand Sons 261pts

997pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offence Addoran, but I doubt thats going to help him much. Its unlikely he has tbe models to change his list that extensivly in time.
    If you want to use a Daemon Prince along those lines, I'd recommend D. Talons or Venom over the CC weapons. Venom will kill high-toughness models, while Talons will help carve through just about anything, just don't rely on those 6's too much.
    The Predator you should not remove, ever. Thousand Sons lack almost anykind of anti-tank weaponry (BoC will NOT help you kill a Leman Russ set at the back of the board, it is for light vehicles) and a Pred with lascannons all-round fills that role nicely. Mine served me well on Saturday, it raked in victory points. Mutated Hull is also what I use on mine. Try to only show the front of the thing if you can, since the FAQ states that it's normal side armour is 11, not 12.
    I agree with Addoran on the Powerfist/BoC combo, though that should be backed up with Thrall Wizards (2 or 3) to double your chances of killing something.
    A Rhino is something at least one of your squads should always be mounted in. Speed is our biggest weakness, and a transport helps bring a little mobility to the army. Remember that BoC can fire from the Rhino. I love the look on my opponents face when a Dread wonders within 24" of it and gets blown up by a weapon that didn't have to get all that close, nor stop moving. But that ight not be an option for your just now.
    I won a 1000pt tounament with my Thousand Sons at the at the weekend so it can be done, you just have to use their strengths. Mid-range is where we want to be, since no-one uses bolters more effectivly.
    Last edited by 1st of the Thousand Sons; August 16th, 2005 at 15:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

Well he posted his list for critique, I was merely suggesting the improvements in mind for the general future, not just for his upcoming tournament.

I stand by my recommendation on the Predator. Yes, I'd definately take one if it was a 1500 point list, but in a 1000pt list you've got to ask yourself how many AV14 Vehicles your going to face. Then you've got to consider:

A/The predator actually costs more than a Leman Russ (so it's probably not going to kill it's points back)

B/You could have a squad of 1000 Sons for the price, which adds another 18 wounds your enemy has to remove footslogging up the table. For that trade off to equal, that Leman Russ has to focus on and kill an entire squad footslogging, in which time one of your other squads will probably manage to get close enough to attack the thing's side with a Powerfist/Boc.

And remember that's only going to be important if you play IG, BOC alone can deal with the lighter stuff, Dreadnoughts, Rhinos, Ork Vehicles etc.

I also stand by my reccomendations for his Daemon Prince also, giving him Daemonic Stature makes him easy to pick out. I'd rather keep my commanders as IC and hide them at the back of a squad, adds a lot of survivability, otherwise he's just a Starcannon target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give your deamonprince The Eye of Tzeentch! It is invaluable, I would pay 50pts for it. Its amazing. You can reroll almost anything, its awesome. The prince just wont die.

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replys guys.
    I have took advice from all of you. My deamon prince is no longer a monsterous creature and is now placed in a squad with deamonic venom for some colse combat goodnes and i have also added a power fist to the other squad.
    I have also given my lord the eye of tzeentch as i do believe that it is super de duper also.
    cheers for the advice.
    Cya
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Give your deamonprince The Eye of Tzeentch! It is invaluable, I would pay 50pts for it. Its amazing. You can reroll almost anything, its awesome. The prince just wont die.
    Unfortunately it only works in the TS player's turn, and it's only good for one reroll per turn. Perhaps i'm wrong, but your enthusiasm about it sounds like you use it to get more than one reroll per turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sorry mate thats not what I meant. I wouldn't recommend Talons or Venom on a non-stature Lord, you need something that negates armour saves.
    Eye of Tzeentch has its uses, but I would only give it to an AC with BoC, effectivly twin-linking it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i don't think a daemon prince is good choice in a 1k fight. I like your list, its solid but I think a lord or lil' lord are better picks in this sense, i'm glad you did'nt make him mosterous. make sure that you don't pour too many points into one model, this is 1k points and lascannons/railguns/powerfists/ect. still exist. all i'm saying is one wrong dice roll(or good for your opponent) and you just lost 120+ points, a huge set back in 1k. nice list though.
    "That is the sound of inevitability"

+ Reply to Thread