Night lords 1500 to use vs Bugs and Dark Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Night lords 1500 to use vs Bugs and Dark Eldar

This is my first attempt at a night lords list. I have tried to make use of the strong point of a night lord army. A strong firebase to put pressure on the enemy (defiler, havocs, tactical squads) while having some fast moving, hard hitting troops to hit where it hurts the most (bikers, furies and raptors).

The army is for use in a mini campaing I will be playing against two of my mates. They play bugs (heavy on stealers and fexes and with the obligatory flying tyrant of doom) and Dark Eldar Wych Cult (insane cc potential and loads of raiders (damn they are cheap!) plus a ravager or two).

So all in all I expect the enemy to come to me as fast as they can. Therefore I have included a lot of firepower to take the smaller infantry things and some lascannons and plasma for bigger things like fex, tyrant etc. I figure the improved cover save will be a godsent when facing all the ap2 weaponry of the Dark Eldar.

Just for fun I made my chaos lieutenant a sorcerer and gave him gift of chaos. Turning a Dracite (sp?) into a chaos spawn sounds like a very humorus option :lol: It is a lot of points into something that I might get to use, so I am really unsure about it. Perhaps another power might be more useful.

Any comments and suggestions will be more than welcome. I will not have a chance to test play this army before we start the campaign, so you might save me from a thrashing :rolleyes:

CSM: Night Lords Army

1 Chaos Lieutenant (HQ) @ 125 Pts
    Make Sorcerer; Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Weapon (x1); Combi-Bolter
    #Gift of Chaos [20]
    Chaos Marine Bike [30]

1 Chaos Lord (HQ) @ 104 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Weapon (x1); Bolt Pistol (x1)
    Daemonic Flight [20]
    Krak Grenades [2]
    Frag Grenades [1]

3 Chaos Bikers (Fast Attack) @ 188 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x3); Combi-Bolter (x1); Plasma Gun
    (x2)
    #Chaos Marine Bike [0]

1 Aspiring Champion @ [63] Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Fist (x1); Bolt Pistol (x1);
    Combi-Bolter
    #Chaos Marine Bike [0]

5 Chaos Raptors (Fast Attack) @ 253 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolt Pistol (x2); Plasma Gun
    (x3); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
    #Daemonic Flight [0]
    #Daemonic Visage [0]

1 Aspiring Champion @ [73] Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; Lightning Claws (pair); Frag Grenades; Krak
    Grenades
    #Daemonic Visage [0]
    #Daemonic Flight [0]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 95 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolter (x3); Heavy Bolter (x1);
    Plasma Gun (x1)
    #Stealth Adept [1]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 100 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolter (x3); Missile Launcher
    (x1); Plasma Gun (x1)
    #Stealth Adept [1]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 105 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolter (x3); Lascannon (x1);
    Plasma Gun (x1)
    #Stealth Adept [1]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 105 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolter (x3); Lascannon (x1);
    Plasma Gun (x1)
    #Stealth Adept [1]

6 Furies (Fast Attack) @ 90 Pts
    Furies; Claws and Fangs
    #Daemonic Flight [0]

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 175 Pts
    Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Battle Cannon;
    Indirect Fire; Reaper Autocannon; Heavy Flamer
    #Daemonic Possession [0]

5 Chaos Havocs (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolter (x1); Autocannon (x4)
    #Stealth Adept [1]

Models in Army: 44

Total Army Cost: 1500

Ps. For some reason Army Builder would not let me add icons to my tactical squads. Naturally they have them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I wouldn't rely on the Cover Save to keep you alive. It sounds like you're going against a ton of CC potential, where cover saves do you no good. And if they're wasting AP2 shots on cheap marines, they're doing something wrong already.

Keep in mind that the Gift of Chaos allows Invulnerable saves to be taken against it. So turning his Archon into a spawn will be tough until you break that Shadow Field. Though, it's still really fun to turn a Carnifex or Tyrant into a Spawn - but remember, that's only a one in six chance for the 'Fex, slightly better for the Tyrant. It's probably not reliable enough. Wind of Chaos will probably serve much better.

Now, on to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizzar
    HQ
    1 Chaos Lieutenant (HQ) @ 125 Pts

1 Chaos Lord (HQ) @ 104 Pts
    Keeping the HQs cheap, that's a fair idea. I don't see the point of Krak grenades - spend the three points and upgrade to Melta Bombs.

3 Chaos Bikers (Fast Attack) @ 188 Pts
    1 Aspiring Champion @ [63] Pts
    I would remove the Plasma Guns. Those are expensive models to lose to Overheating. Secondly - what's their function? A group of four is too small to really provide much of a punch, and you only have one unit of Furies to bomb with... maybe if you gave them Melta Guns instead, they'd be good Tank/TMC Hunters, especially since they can try to run down the DE Raiders.

5 Chaos Raptors (Fast Attack) @ 253 Pts
    1 Aspiring Champion @ [73] Pts
    Again, I'd drop the Plasma Gun. Five is too small of a group to be effective in CC. You'll get eaten alive. I suggest upping the unit to six, and giving the group three flamers. You're facing horde armies - flamers will thin the hordes out nicely.

Veteran skills are also nice to have on Raptors - Furious Charge is amazing when combined with Hit and Run, and Infiltration makes them really fun.

Troops (Truncated)
    Try to buy one more member for each squad. Three casualties vs. four before losing scoring status is huge. Also, I don't see a need for the Lascannons. DE don't have high AV vehicles, and the Tyranids don't have very high Toughness models. Missile Launchers should probably suffice nicely. And when the time comes, you'll be thankful for the Frag blast templates.

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 175 Pts
    Don't bother with the Indirect fire. It's a waste against such speedy foes. They'll be on you by turn two, and if they have any sense, infiltrators/Deep Strikers will zap the Defiler before he gets too many shots off. I personally would drop him altogether.

5 Chaos Havocs (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts
    Good unit, if but a bit small. Try to get up to atleast six, but I would take eight members, for added safety. These guys will be your main defense against the Tyranid Hordes - the autocannons eat 'Nids alive. The autocannons also provide enough punch to take down DE transports.

Personally, I wouldn't choose Night Lords in this enviroment. I'd go with Alpha Legion. The cover saves aren't all that helpful since you're facing CC geared opponents, but cheap infiltration will allow you to out maneuver your opponents (which is a valuable, valuable thing against DE).
    Last edited by Caluin; September 9th, 2005 at 19:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    I wouldn't rely on the Cover Save to keep you alive. It sounds like you're going against a ton of CC potential, where cover saves do you no good. And if they're wasting AP2 shots on cheap marines, they're doing something wrong already.
    True, but the amount of ap2 fire a Dark Eldar army can unleash is staggering. My mate plays with two ravagers, each have a dark lance and two disintegrators.

Keep in mind that the Gift of Chaos allows Invulnerable saves to be taken against it. So turning his Archon into a spawn will be tough until you break that Shadow Field. Though, it's still really fun to turn a Carnifex or Tyrant into a Spawn - but remember, that's only a one in six chance for the 'Fex, slightly better for the Tyrant. It's probably not reliable enough. Wind of Chaos will probably serve much better.
    Good point. I changed the power to Wind of Chaos, and it worked perfectly. I fried most of my opponents HQ with wind of chaos. Great fun.

I would remove the Plasma Guns. Those are expensive models to lose to Overheating. Secondly - what's their function? A group of four is too small to really provide much of a punch, and you only have one unit of Furies to bomb with... maybe if you gave them Melta Guns instead, they'd be good Tank/TMC Hunters, especially since they can try to run down the DE Raiders.

Again, I'd drop the Plasma Gun. Five is too small of a group to be effective in CC. You'll get eaten alive. I suggest upping the unit to six, and giving the group three flamers. You're facing horde armies - flamers will thin the hordes out nicely.
    Yes, in the game I just played (against Dark Eldar) I had a hard time using my bikers and raptors efficiently. There were simply so little they could take out that were expensive enough to justify them getting charged by a squad of wyches afterwards. In the game I was very, very lucky. My bikers started in reserve and came in just in time to down a raider with a boatload of wyches. 6 wyches died in the crash and the rest promptly fled of the table. My raptors killed a ravager and were then all but whiped out by the other ravager... a bad trade pointwise. Flamers could be an option, but overall I am not too fond of their performance. Both nids and dark eldar are so fast that I cannot be sure to even get to use them. The plasma guns let me target big bugs and vehicles with equal ease.

Don't bother with the Indirect fire. It's a waste against such speedy foes. They'll be on you by turn two, and if they have any sense, infiltrators/Deep Strikers will zap the Defiler before he gets too many shots off. I personally would drop him altogether.
    I think the defiler fits the "terror" aspect of the nightlords perfectly. Also the indirect fire gives me the option to target groups that are fast enough to deny me los. Maybe my opponents will smarten up, but as it looks now the defiler never fails to make its points back.

Good unit, if but a bit small. Try to get up to atleast six, but I would take eight members, for added safety. These guys will be your main defense against the Tyranid Hordes - the autocannons eat 'Nids alive. The autocannons also provide enough punch to take down DE transports.
    True!

Personally, I wouldn't choose Night Lords in this enviroment. I'd go with Alpha Legion. The cover saves aren't all that helpful since you're facing CC geared opponents, but cheap infiltration will allow you to out maneuver your opponents (which is a valuable, valuable thing against DE).
    My second choice for army is a slaaneshi force with lots and lots of firepower. Not too fond of infiltrating against nids or dark eldar since that might just mean that my forces are left to fend for themselves.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Well, I'm a long time Night Lord player an I'll try to pass you some of my expirience.

-Your units are far too small to fight bugs. They will use their 18" range to get into combat, over run you into more of your units.

-Again the units are too small. All you should do is combine the 4 units into 2. make one shooy and the other CC.

-I use a havoc squad of 4 plasma guns, which are far better for dropping the big bugs than autocannons. Plasmas can move and shoot, have a much better AP, and are a lot better when infiltrating.

-Drop the sorcerer lord for more raptors. DON'T GIVE THEM PLASMA GUNS, you want them to be able to shoot and assault, not shoot 2 guns and just sit there. Against nids, give them flamers and furious charge. Those lil adrenaline sacs up their initiative and you want to strike first will all the attacks you can muster. Plus two S4 AP5 templates will put a lot of hurt on those 'gaunts.

-Your lord needs daemonic aura. if he gets in combat with those big bugs, he's done in one combat. My lord has a bike and a ether lance and nids die is droves. Put him in a unit of 4 bikes with 2 flamers and nids will die left and right.

-Furies are NOT hard hitting at only 6 models, at 10 they will do some damage.

-I don't like Defilers. They are too big for cover or any atempts of hull down. If you insist of taking it, give it parassitic so you can get your battle cannon back once its destroyed.

-Also with havoc squads, make them atleast 8 figures. So then your enemy has to kill four T4 3+sv models before your nice guns are gone.

Hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

+ Reply to Thread